Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Members who post comments in others Sales/Advertising threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm not posting this as a moderator, but as a member!

I see quite a few "regular" and "established" members, who have no problem with posting comments in other members Sales or Advertising/Broker/Website threads, but then they cry foul when someone does it to them!

Are you one of these people?

Do you think it's right?

What's your opinion?

Domain Days 2024

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think you should not post comments in any thread if it is not relevant, I see this all the time in some of the forums especially like the people to avoid section, which should be held in higher standards than regular sales threads.

Sales threads for be for offers, questions about the domain and or websites, or bids.

Telling someone what a great domain it is or what a bad domain or commenting on the price should not be done in a sales thread period.

Not only does that bump the thread for no reason it eliminates other peoples fair chances at selling when getting the same thread bumped for no reason over and over again.

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am an "interpreter of maladies" ... here to cure whatever psychological problems you might have. :-D Heh..

If they're regular members, I assume they are well aware of the rules. But, apparently they still don't know the difference between asking questions pertaining to the sale and belittling the item that's being sold to make it seem worth a whole less. The latter is extremely insulting to a seller because he is being directed on how.to.sell.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should not post comments in sales, even if they are positive. Like "Hey, great name!" is not even allowed. This can cause the person to want to return the favor of bumping your thread, etc. No comments in sales has been a rule for a long time.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My opinion - negative comments: if the sale is kosher, seller can answer any questions or comments. If the seller mind negative comments, something wrong with his goods and he is looking to fool some newbie. I have been fooled as newbie many times and could be more times without those negative comments, for which I was thankful.

Positive comments - thats totally useless and whoever posts "great domain" or "goog luck" is an desperate looser trying to earn some DNFs.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's hard to permit bad comments, but at the same, I am not impressed sometimes by the crap people attempt to pawn off at ridiculous prices. I especially have a problem when I see Spanish domains being sold based on their literal translation in Babel fish or any other online translation.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I especially have a problem when I see Spanish domains being sold based on their literal translation in Babel fish

Now that would be good example of useful "negative" comment. If someone who is native at Spanish will comment "hey, no one use this word actually". Or I saw someone selling here "computer" in Chinese but actually it meant "calculator". And so on.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
posts like that can easily be handled via PM, tell the owner that their domain means something different in to them and the owner can choose to add the info or not, if the buyer doesnt research the domain and its translation on their own before buying, thats their fault really. and you have to consider the bajillion different variations of the same languages

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
My opinion - negative comments: if the sale is kosher, seller can answer any questions or comments. If the seller mind negative comments, something wrong with his goods and he is looking to fool some newbie. I have been fooled as newbie many times and could be more times without those negative comments, for which I was thankful.

Positive comments - thats totally useless and whoever posts "great domain" or "goog luck" is an desperate looser trying to earn some DNFs.
I agree, those negative comments really help buyers out, especially with the exponential amount of scammers we see today. I find it helpful to spread awareness of such things that you pointed out, Denny.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
posts like that can easily be handled via PM

Yeah, handled secretly via PM - thats what scamsters would like. I have to repeat: if the sale is kosher the seller can counter-comment any negative comment and make such negative commenter look as an idiot. If seller is not able to counter-comment, the comment was good catch.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For example, and I'm only posting this here.

fichas.es is being sold and the thread says fichas means cards. Well, it might be cards in the context of like time cards. But it is mainly used to refer to tokens. Ficha would never ever be used in the context of greeting cards, baseball cards or any other type of cards.

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there is a big difference in "making negative comments" and "stating obvious things that are missreppresented".

If in a fact a seller states; someweirdword.com means fish, when it really means animal. That is as bad as the rule about posting ovt in the header.
(This is a rule now)

For someone to come in actually give the defition of the word in the tongue of meaning from the country where the word comes from is not negative, and actually could help the seller.

I think the point of this thread, is to make it aware that un needed comments that are not relavant are un welcome in most all threads.

John Doe posts: Ihaveastupiddomainname.com $20,000
Poster #1: That is a stupid name with a stupid price ( not exceptable)
poster #2: have you lost your mind (not exceptable)
poster #3: would you consider taking less money? Exceptable

I mean maybe we need prime examples in the rules for some people to follow.

certain words can automatically be considered unwanted in a sales thread:
stupid
worthless
crazy
idiot
and many other words.

(these are my own opinions and not that of any other members on this board or of the board)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with slim, denny, jonothan and edder...

One other thing I hate, is when I see a site or domain for sale which might say: Offers above $500, BIN $1500 and someone comes along and posts "I'll give you $10 for it"

At the same time, however, I think if you have sufficient proof that there is something misleading about the sale, you should certainly PM the member in question or a moderator about it. If you feel like posting in the thread, it is much better to say "would you mind posting a screenshot to back up your claims?" instead of "you are a scammer and your site sucks and is worth nothing"

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Unless it's not going to help the person out don't post at all. Also don't post if your not interested. Also don't post for stats or something if your not going to buy and if your only looking to drive your post count up and give the guy more work. This is not right when people post for no reason. Thanks, NL

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
One other thing I hate, is when I see a site or domain for sale which might say: Offers above $500, BIN $1500 and someone comes along and posts "I'll give you $10 for it"
That doesn't happen too often.

It usually happens when sellers ask for bids that are educated, reasonable or whatever other witty adjective they come up with. They don't give a range or anything, then they act all offended because someone lowballed them.

I think smart bidders should lowball the hell out of sellers who decide to give no range or hints as to what they want for a name.

Also don't post for stats or something if your not going to buy and if your only looking to drive your post count up and give the guy more work.
NameLegend - people might decide to ask a seller for stats or 'something' because the seller has a bad reputation from previously lying about domains/websites in the forums and elsewhere.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
That doesn't happen too often.

It usually happens when sellers ask for bids that are educated, reasonable or whatever other witty adjective they come up with. They don't give a range or anything, then they act all offended because someone lowballed them.

I think smart bidders should lowball the hell out of sellers who decide to give no range or hints as to what they want for a name.

NameLegend - people might decide to ask a seller for stats or 'something' because the seller has a bad reputation from previously lying about domains/websites in the forums and elsewhere.

Jonathan that is very true at to some point. But also when people just ask for stats for no reason. It's very annoying. I seen this happen to many people on this forum and it's annoying in the post just to see please pm stats pmease pm stats. it's annoying.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is also true - when 20 people ask for stats and 3/4 of them don't return your PM or email.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the way I view it is the seller doesn't have to PM/email the stats if it is such a burden to send it to everybody. Post it in the thread so that everybody doesn't have to request it.

I understand that this is a pain for some people, but once again- you have a choice. Privacy and more work, or post it publicly and less effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom