Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Me personally I'm going to be the first to register games.tel so all you people need to just step off cause it's mine! LOL

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
4) Take a look at the models for iPhone and Google's Android - they're optimized to show actual websites on their browsers.

I think this is the biggest thing going against .mobi.
Part of its relevency is based around how cell phones have historically rendered web pages. With this changing .mobi seems like just another not .com extension. ;)

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whether the hype slows out or the phone technology overtakes the need for the extension, one thing is clear - .mobi has made some people lots of money - especially those behind the registry. So in that vain it has been a success.

On the other hand, with any investment it carries tremendous risk and those paying out those amounts for these auction domains may just find themselves out large chunks of change.

If I had $300,000 to drop it wouldn't be on a mobi I'll tell you that much. I would buy .com's etc with proven traffic/rev. It's much cheaper to develop and gain back your investment on domains with solid traffic histories. I've got mobi domains - most I have all the other major extensions for it as well, and I can say this - traffic to mobi domains, especially those that are parked is dismal and almost non-existent compared to the exact same domain name with another extension attached. This far out from their introduction the excuse that the extension is too new to get traffic is null and void imo.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If this, if that, when this, when that...

NEWSFLASH...quit wishing.

Back later.

Keep the bitching going.

4) Take a look at the models for iPhone and Google's Android - they're optimized to show actual websites on their browsers.
Optimized to show, but not rendering worth a shit.

Slow to load, time consuming as a .com site. Even Apple and AT&T admit it. See the interview on June 28 with Steve Jobs and the CEO from AT&T.

Enter dot mobi. Enter Apple and Steve Jobs opening the "closed box" to third party apps.

Enter dot .mobi now being promoted by Apple on Apple's iPhone website for apps.

http://iphoneipodwebapps.blogspot.com/2007/11/aviationmobi.html
http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/?s=.mobi

SportsTap one of the top list of iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

So someone needs to get off their ass and on the phone and put that call in to Steve Jobs.

You know what, I am just as passionate about .com. Love this biz. Love all your input.

I'm here all night so I'll check in later.

Keep the thread going. DNF rankings love it.

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Slow to load, time consuming as a .com site. Even Apple and AT&T admit it. See the interview on June 28 with Steve Jobs and the CEO from AT&T.

True. But the seed is planted. Just because something isn't great now doesn't mean it won't be in 6 months.

I'll be damned if I'm going to build a text only website which renders well on cell phones that will all be rendering browsers like our PCs do in a year or two.

Just my opinion. ;)

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If this, if that, when this, when that...

NEWSFLASH...quit wishing.

Back later.

Keep the bitching going.

Enter dot mobi. Enter Apple and Steve Jobs opening the "closed box" to third party apps.

Enter dot .mobi now being promoted by Apple on Apple's iPhone website for apps.

http://iphoneipodwebapps.blogspot.com/2007/11/aviationmobi.html
http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/?s=.mobi

SportsTap one of the top list of iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

So someone needs to get off their ass and on the phone and put that call in to Steve Jobs.

You know what, I am just as passionate about .com. Love this biz. Love all your input.

I'm here all night so I'll check in later.

Keep the thread going. DNF rankings love it.

Agreed.

Well stated brother Doc

And, the market has spoken.

Here are some of the sales from today's 3rd dotMobi Sedo Auction....

music.mobi $616,000
games.mobi 401,500
sports.mobi 101,000
movies.mobi 82,000
juegos.mobi 61,000
game.mobi 61,000
videos.mobi 51,000
photos.mobi 51,000
sportsbetting.mobi 41,000
fashion.mobi 32,000
wine.mobi 30,000
horoscope.mobi 30,000
play.mobi 28,150
video.mobi 25,555
jokes.mobi 24,100
dictionary.mobi 21,500
flower.mobi 21,500
musica.mobi 20,600
movie.mobi 20,500
photo.mobi 19,500
horoscopes.mobi 18,000
celebrity.mobi 17,500
art.mobi 16,500
entertainment... 16,500
vodka.mobi 16,500
soccer.mobi 15,000
classifieds.mobi 14,500
deportes 14,500
film.mobi 11,611
restaurant.mobi 10,100
fotos.mobi 10,600
hiphop.mobi 10,000
freegames.mobi 10,100
videogames.mobi 8,100
beer.mobi 7,800
dance.mobi 7,800
spiele.mobi 7,470
fitness.mobi 7,300
florist.mobi 6,800
yoga.mobi 6,800

I realize the "so-called experts," often get things wrong.

Experts who said dotMobi had zero chance. And after a rocky college career, 6th round pick Tom Brady inevitably no future NFL career. The 1980 Miracle On Ice. All the experts who said to buy homes in 2006 and tech stocks in 2000.

It seems silly now. It was taken as gospel then.

So lesson to all now.

Be very careful when the majority say something is inevitable, like the death of dotMobi. It rarely is.

And as they say, history is defined not by things we expected, but by things we did not.

We know that. But we forget that.

Like the boxer playing it safe because he's ahead on all the judges' scorecards going into the final round, then ends up getting knocked out in the final round. Like IBM dismissing Microsoft in the 1970s. And Microsoft dismissing Google in the 1990s.

Until they don't. And the game plays on. Only this time without them, the dotMobi naysayers, playing in it.

Stay tuned...

Michael

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True. But the seed is planted. Just because something isn't great now doesn't mean it won't be in 6 months.

I'll be damned if I'm going to build a text only website which renders well on cell phones that will all be rendering browsers like our PCs do in a year or two.

Just my opinion. ;)
I can see your point. But here's the thing. Mobi compliant webs sites work equally well and with rapidity on both the PC and the cell.

That is why Apple opened this up to third party apps. They recognized "the need for speed" in a failed attempt to use the EDGE network and AT&T WiFi.

Simply put, faster load, less scrolling, lower bandwidth usage, and ease of use.

Honestly, this is not going away because domainers don't like it. The only ones reading all this bologna on both sides are people on this forum.

The real clincher will be the enduser for these monster prices. I wait to see the updated WHOIS for games and music. I have a couple of hunches but that is all it is at this point.

If I had $300,000 to drop it wouldn't be...
on any domains.

We may be enjoying an overall rise in prices across the board. But how long will the be sustained.

For me, domaining is not where I put that kind of money. I have other higher ROI in a much shorter time frame than what I see in domaindom.

Isn't there some other noteworthy threads on here?

Why must it always be about .mobi.

See ya later.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
funny how coy some can be against .mobi considering i've seen .ca. .es, .org, .us, .net and others collectively in signatures in this thread

anyhoot ... almost 2mill in sales today, not a bad showing

Keynes

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I realize the "so-called experts," often get things wrong.

Experts who said dotMobi had zero chance. And after a rocky college career, 6th round pick Tom Brady inevitably no future NFL career. The 1980 Miracle On Ice.

Here's the difference: Brady and the 1980 US Olympic team won based on performance. All .mobi has going for it is marketing hype so far; nobody wins a gold medal for being flashy.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All .mobi needs now is a late night infomercial.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is what I don't get, and I am neither a hater of mobi or a big owner I own 3. Why do people who don't own any, do not have any money at risk, rally against the extension.
At $98 a barrel I shorted OIL and covered at $90 decent profit. I had a friend who was short gold I was not angry, Come short my commodity what are you doing, I could care less about Gold because I was not trading it. No money at risk why would I care what he does with his money ? I understand people with a vested interest but unless there is a short .mobi ETF coming out who cares what other people do with their money? IMO

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here is what I don't get, and I am neither a hater of mobi or a big owner I own 3. Why do people who don't own any, do not have any money at risk, rally against the extension.
At $98 a barrel I shorted OIL and covered at $90 decent profit. I had a friend who was short gold I was not angry, Come short my commodity what are you doing, I could care less about Gold because I was not trading it. No money at risk why would I care what he does with his money ? I understand people with a vested interest but unless there is a short .mobi ETF coming out who cares what other people do with their money? IMO

xnx, great question and wonderful analogy....

I believe, that perhaps, several don't want to see this new popular kid, MOBI, further interfere and mitigate their future 2008, 2009, 2010, ... non-dotcom sales.

Certain people under the disguise of "constructive criticism" have the motive to make MOBI look bad because they consider MOBI an increasing threat to their already established domain investments and PPC income. They certainly don’t want to lose any visitors/income/attention to MOBI and the more a new extension, like .mobi becomes successful, the more it will be the subject of their constant libelous attacks.

Case in point, do you see dotMobi naysayers and others consistently hyperventilate, and bad mouth .us, .org, .eu, .info, .tv .biz or the other 250 domain extensions?

Answer: No.

Why the attacks on .mobi?

Because 13 month old Mobi is one of the most accomplished domain extensions to enter the marketplace.

Michael

Keynes

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Certain people under the disguise of "constructive criticism" have the motive to make MOBI look bad because they consider MOBI an increasing threat to their already established domain investments and PPC income. They certainly don’t want to lose any visitors/income/attention to MOBI and the more a new extension, like .mobi becomes successful, the more it will be the subject of their constant libelous attacks.

Perhaps you need to consult the definition of "libel"; we're having an interpretive disagreement about the prospects of uncertain future events. I'm happy to see people chasing the "next great thing" from .asia to .eu to .mobi, but, at some point, there needs to be a countervailing rational wind that grounds the market in fundamentals and not hype. You can certainly invest however you wish, but there's a difference between short-term gains and the establishment of a viable, long-term market.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to consult the definition of "libel"; we're having an interpretive disagreement about the prospects of uncertain future events. I'm happy to see people chasing the "next great thing" from .asia to .eu to .mobi, but, at some point, there needs to be a countervailing rational wind that grounds the market in fundamentals and not hype. You can certainly invest however you wish, but there's a difference between short-term gains and the establishment of a viable, long-term market.

rfm, I encourage you reread prior posts with respect to dotMobi from the dotMobi smear merchants...like this one and countless others that drag .mobi thru the mud..

.mobi is the biggest pump and dumb scenerio used by a few well known con artists.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

(for me) From the begining I've spoken against the hype, it's all there in the old threads. The hype from the registry is way overdone and that has continued thru some of the domainers here that announce somthing every week if not day about .mobi

Having nothing invested in it should be a plus in the objectivity realm, but people that are invested in it either don't want to or can't see that.

I've said it a few times, have at it just please stop posting every little freaking thing like it's some earth shatering breaking news.

If I had what I considered good domains in a valuale ext. and I knew there were more out there for the taking, I would keep my pie hole shut as I scooped them up...why the need to yap about it constantly? If you actually believe in your investment and that it can stand on it's own, it's not even smart business to constantly remind your competition that they can go grab some of your future names for reg fee.

Back when I was catching some good names at gdaddy (yes it's true) people were always saying how much their drop service sucked. I just smiled and said "more more more" because they were my competition. Would any of you .mobi guys think it wise of me to have announced here that people should shut up about how gdaddy drop sucks and go get some decent names like L-L.com or LLL.net's for $12.50. No way.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having nothing invested in it should be a plus in the objectivity realm, but people that are invested in it either don't want to or can't see that.

Turn it around...People who HAVE NOT invested in it can not see it.

I've said it a few times, have at it just please stop posting every little freaking thing like it's some earth shatering breaking news.

And I think it has also been said that if you don't want to read it, don't. If you feel compelled to comment, expect a response.

If I had what I considered good domains in a valuale ext. and I knew there were more out there for the taking, I would keep my pie hole shut as I scooped them up...DONE

Back when I was catching some good names at gdaddy (yes it's true) people were always saying how much their drop service sucked. I just smiled and said "more more more" because they were my competition. Would any of you .mobi guys think it wise of me to have announced here that people should shut up about how gdaddy drop sucks and go get some decent names like o-p.com or Certifier.com or LLL.net's for $12.50. No way.

Been doing that.

So, all the sales threads of P.O.S. dot coms are okay, the appraisal requests for the most god awful new regs or drops is okay, and the other extensions are okay.

Hate the message, hate the messenger, hate the registry, hate the ones who post .mobi news.

Ain't that a pisser? Posting domain news on a domain forum?

There has got to be a law.

Buy the way, if someone wants to bash .com and .net, you would get the same rationale and response from me.

What is the big damn deal? If you don't like it, don't want to read about it, then opt not to.

Is that a difficult concept to grasp? And no, this is not directed to Poker and any one individual.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc Com said:
Turn it around...People who HAVE NOT invested in it can not see it.

Makes a lot sense there Doc, so I guess anyone that did not invest (their vote) in Bush cannot see what a good job he's done (how valuable he is).

That's the reason myself, others and maybe you can't see the value he's added to the country?

Your point is that in order to be objective about somthing you should have some type of attachment to it?

Careful that your "Turn it around" does'nt turn into spin it around :)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not a hater, or a lover. I'm a skeptic about .mobi
Frankly, the current sales seem to be just way too high for a new extension that the public hardly knows about. Some of the sales are competing against .com and are much much bigger than .net. And these are extensions that the people actually know about. Music.mobi is a great name, but 600k+ (I'm not sure how much it went for, please correct me if I'm wrong) is severely over inflated, and I'm sure even the most ardent mobi lover will agree.

Such inflated sales just make me suspicious. I cannot see any reason why any reasonable investor would put in 600k+ for a domain in an extension that'll take at least 5 years to register into the public mind. 60-80k for Music.mobi would've been digestable, but this is just going way way over the top.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pok, it does not to be complicated.

You say the only ones who see anything in it is the one who have something in it. Fair enough.

So, those that don't have anything in it see nothing to it. Makes sense.

Objective? Wouldn't say you have to have an attachment to anything to be objective. By having no attachment to something, except an opinion, is objective.

And why the hell do you keep trying to bring Bush into a conversation? I am still stuck on the first line of you other post. You can not use the word intelligence and Bush in the same sentence let alone the same paragraph.

I'm not a hater, or a lover. I'm a skeptic about .mobi
Frankly, the current sales seem to be just way too high for a new extension that the public hardly knows about. Some of the sales are competing against .com and are much much bigger than .net. And these are extensions that the people actually know about. Music.mobi is a great name, but 600k+ (I'm not sure how much it went for, please correct me if I'm wrong) is severely over inflated, and I'm sure even the most ardent mobi lover will agree.

Such inflated sales just make me suspicious. I cannot see any reason why any reasonable investor would put in 600k+ for a domain in an extension that'll take at least 5 years to register into the public mind. 60-80k for Music.mobi would've been digestable, but this is just going way way over the top.
I think it is okay to be suspicious and I am too.

Could this auction have been railroaded? Of course.

On the other hand, with 3.3 billion cell phone subscribers in the world, musicians and artist making a huge pay day out of royalties from download ringtones, I can see someone like Apple for iTunes, or Sony, BMI, Google, or Amazon going for it. 600K is huge to some ordinary folks but to these giants, an ROI of a year or so is not far fetched. Music is the number one downloaded item...globally.

And speaking of globally, the concept of 5 years to register in the public mind is also a stretch...to the extreme. This domain has become so entrenched in some nations. It is just taking forever to gain mainstream acceptance here in the states. But it is coming. And rapidly.

The proof will be in the end user and how it is deployed. Then we'll have a better idea of what is to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom