Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.MOBI crashes Sedo... WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as to what that value is, the market will decide.
My thoughts exactly, but as you pointed out:

wap.domain.com, mobi.domain.com or even www.domain.com/mobi

There is no standardization in the industry. Add the m.domain, the i.domain, mini.domain and ... you get the point.

There are no limits on who, what, or how someone can create, do, or say mobile. Oh, and then multiply the countless ways you can think of to say mobile without saying mobile and multiply that by 266...the number of gTLD's and ccTLD's. Can't forget. Surprisingly there are other extensions beyond the .com.

So why not just say mobile with .mobi? How difficult is that?

In my view, its going to be a VERY long time before anyone visits a .mobi because its for "mobile content"
That is your view. Gotta respect that. But that is not based on any facts whatsoever.

If you want and need specifics, go back and read the many threads regarding .mobi usage or even the points made previously in this thread. Even my own traffic stats indicate that this is contrary to actual usage. Google it, look at the sites out there, perhaps a few members here can chime in with data and charts of their own site's performance.

Otherwise, I have to go to bed after working last night.

Don't worry, I won't lose any sleep over this as I am quite confident the debate will rage on.

Again, domainers talking about domaining. Ain't life grand!

alvarodejh

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of you the good domainers in this forum.

Thanks for all of the good and great coments. As you may already know, I won the bidding for the top 6 .mobi names. The transaction will close in the next few weeks.

My expertise may not be in the domain arena, (I have been here for over a year), but at one point in my life I was in charge of over 100K domain names some years back. I bought domains back in 1995 when people would not believe in the internet. I am sure many of you didn't like someone paying $7.5 for business.com some years back, but when the domain and site was sold sometime back :), people should realize that when someone has a vision, you will be provided with the rewards at the end of that vision.

For me .MOBI will be the next internet (not replacing the internet now). I believe people eventually will rather type on the phone games.mobi because they will believe that games.mobi is phone ready and games.com is not. At least in my mind 4 or 5 phone users vs 1 internet user, that will bring for sure some direct type ins on my names.

Lastly, all of us have to agree that you purchase names always on especulations, just like when you buy a house in pre-cunstruction, you buy it at $300K and 3 or 4 years later maybe worth 3 or 4 times more... (At least it was like that.)... :) So I bought at pre-construction prices. :)

I am sorry for my english :) But thanks again, and I wish the very best day for you, and declaring angels serving you at all times...

Alvaro Albarracin
alvaroalbarracin.blogspot.com

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
For me .MOBI will be the next internet (not replacing the internet now). I believe people eventually will rather type on the phone games.mobi because they will believe that games.mobi is phone ready and games.com is not. At least in my mind 4 or 5 phone users vs 1 internet user, that will bring for sure some direct type ins on my names.

Someone might actually stop you from burning off cash in a public trash can. But no-one will stop you from doing the same with .mobi :)

Best of luck!

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alvaro
Forgive me if I'm wrong - but I find it difficult to reconcile a guy that spends over $1m on 6 names, when that same guy on the same day, was trying to push a Sedo auction for $155 name.
This seems a little odd to say the least.

alvarodejh

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jasdon,.. I have / manage domains for me, my wife, my family and even my friends. In these case this name is owned by my younger brother Leo, and I was doing a favor for him, you may want to see the whois. :)

You are right, somethings are odd, for example I made a movie which I sold later to HBO "Love for Rent" is on Amazon and Netflix now...It was a dream of mind to produce a movie... :)

So you are right, it may be odd .. but odd things are nice once in a while to make things excited. :)

Alvaro

Keynes

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The fundamental inferential fallacy that is being committed throughout this thread is the assumption that .mobi somehow has an exclusive ability to propagate optimized mobile pages - this is false. Any reasonable person believes in the future of the mobile internet; however, this is not necessarily the same as the prospects of .mobi any more than the prospects of .biz are tied to growth of online commerce.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alvaro, you seem like a nice guy...I wish you the best of luck with these domains, they are really good keywords and hopefully you can turn a nice profit on them. Please keep us updated. ;)

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jasdon,.. I have / manage domains for me, my wife, my family and even my friends. In these case this name is owned by my younger brother Leo, and I was doing a favor for him, you may want to see the whois. :)

You are right, somethings are odd, for example I made a movie which I sold later to HBO "Love for Rent" is on Amazon and Netflix now...It was a dream of mind to produce a movie... :)

So you are right, it may be odd .. but odd things are nice once in a while to make things excited. :)

Alvaro

Thanks for the reply Alvaro.

Well, you certainly made things exciting, I'll grant you that!

Good luck with your purchases.

WEBecri

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats with your purchases!

Alvaro Albarracin

Agreed 100% with you Alvaro!

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, let me make sense of this. People are paying xxx,xxx for domains that could one day before something when there are .com domains making $20k per year being sold at xxx,xxx? Pre or post construction, speculative or not .mobi is technically no different than .com so when people type anything, and we know there will be mobile phone typo's, right. Based on human nature and habit won't most people still type .com. .Com represents the web in a way they will never be replaced, almost as if .Com itself it the web and it took over ten years to get to the top of that hill. There is no one millions of people forget .Com simply because .mobi came out. Maybe millions of dollars and many years later but what if .tel comes out? The confusion could continue. What if all the .com's start to optimize and auto-recognize the traffic, when you sigh on with a phone your redirect to a smaller mobile version. Isn't that easier for all companies?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There is still time left to pull off a "cowboys.com" LOL

"Hello, Sedo? I thought games.mobi was listed as $300.00"

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, let me make sense of this. People are paying xxx,xxx for domains that could one day before something when there are .com domains making $20k per year being sold at xxx,xxx? Pre or post construction, speculative or not .mobi is technically no different than .com so when people type anything, and we know there will be mobile phone typo's, right. Based on human nature and habit won't most people still type .com. .Com represents the web in a way they will never be replaced, almost as if .Com itself it the web and it took over ten years to get to the top of that hill. There is no one millions of people forget .Com simply because .mobi came out. Maybe millions of dollars and many years later but what if .tel comes out? The confusion could continue. What if all the .com's start to optimize and auto-recognize the traffic, when you sigh on with a phone your redirect to a smaller mobile version. Isn't that easier for all companies?

The main issue is Dot Com sites aren't required to resolve on a mobile device and not all Dot com owners will do this leaving the mobile user with a hit and miss scenario. With Mobi you know it is designed to resolve on a mobile device and that the information, functions, and features will be optimized to the needs of their mobile search. The mobile internet is in it's infancy and many features and options coming down the pipe will make it clearer as to why there is a need to format and develop with a TLD that says "mobile content here". My 2 cents....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
With Mobi you know it is designed to resolve on a mobile device and that the information, functions, and features will be optimized to the needs of their mobile search.
As a TLD, .mobi gives the impression the info is designed for a mobile phone but this does not mean this is the case. And surprise, Alvaro says in his blog:

I am not planning on developing these names, I am planing on selling these sometime in the near future, because I am focusing in Clics.com

.mobi is a commodity like anything else. As a defined, restricted, segregated, mobile-specific web space it's obsolete.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lastly, all of us have to agree that you purchase names always on especulations, just like when you buy a house in pre-cunstruction, you buy it at $300K and 3 or 4 years later maybe worth 3 or 4 times more... (At least it was like that.)... :) So I bought at pre-construction prices. :)
Speculation, like any investment, can be aggressive or conservative. You can stick with savings accounts or go with 3rd World bonds, depending on whether you can afford to possibly lose your money.
Obviously the higher the possible rewards, the higher the risk. I would say you are at the extreme of the scale and took a major gamble.
I wish you good luck.
The domains on auction are the major keywords that are known to generate traffic revenue in any extension. Even games.crap would be a hot seller. The only difference is, the .mobi TLD REQUIRES that the domains get developed ;) So add the development cost to any price listed. I wonder how many poor .mobi lemmings failed to read the small print of the contract.
IMO it's no big deal.
Assessing whether a site is 'developed' is pretty subjective. To me a 'developed' minisite with copy-paste content and adsense is not so different than a parked page.
Concerning games.mobi for example I guess you could just upload a basic sudoku Flash game and be done with it :)
.mobi pages are so dull and crippled down anyway ;)

IMHO... The requirement from mtld to develop is a lame attempt to justify their lucrative hold on the most premium keywords, as if were not also about money after all... :-/ they couldn't care less about the fact that so many (most) mobi names including the most expensive like flowers are just parked... sorry but I don't buy their hype :-#:

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To me, the fact that none of the bigger domainers were in on the auction suggests that the hype will eventually run out.

For example, think about cars and hybrid technology. If Honda, Toyota and GM were to decide that they wouldn't back hybrid technology in cars, there's no way it would've been successful.

The big domainers are the ones who drive and sustain the hype. The fact that Alvaro won all the top six domains means that Kevin, Frank, Rick, etc. stayed out of ALL the auctions. These guys wouldn't have let all the big names go. And if these guys stayed out, then it definitely tells you something.
Keep in mind that as industry leaders, Frank, Rick, Kevin, etc. have access to a lot more inner knowledge that we guys don't have. If they stayed out, they must've stayed out for a reason.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To me, the fact that none of the bigger domainers were in on the auction suggests that the hype will eventually run out.

For example, think about cars and hybrid technology. If Honda, Toyota and GM were to decide that they wouldn't back hybrid technology in cars, there's no way it would've been successful.

The big domainers are the ones who drive and sustain the hype. The fact that Alvaro won all the top six domains means that Kevin, Frank, Rick, etc. stayed out of ALL the auctions. These guys wouldn't have let all the big names go. And if these guys stayed out, then it definitely tells you something.
Keep in mind that as industry leaders, Frank, Rick, Kevin, etc. have access to a lot more inner knowledge that we guys don't have. If they stayed out, they must've stayed out for a reason.

Not done your research on those guys have you....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Just remember, "mobile" is a UK/Euro term; in the US it's "cell/cellphone/cellular". No wonder we don't share your enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom