Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

My 5 Minutes of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0113c70r

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Everybody looks forward to the day when they become the local hero. My day came this past Thursday night, and I thought I'd share it with my friends here at DNF.

My software company is located next to a Subway sandwich shop in downtown Mobile, AL. This past Thursday night, I heard a lot of screaming and crashing noises coming from the Subway. I grabbed my leather jacket and headed for the door, when I noticed the girl that worked at Subway standing in the middle of the road yelling for help. When I got to the door, she ran to me and yelled "He's trying to rob me!"

Loud crashing noises were still coming from the Subway, so I looked in and saw a black man trying to break down the door that seperated the dining room from the area where the cash register was kept. He had his back to me, and was throwing his body against the door.

I pulled my handgun from my jacket and went into the store at the exact moment that the would-be burgular was able to bust down the door. He was already inside the back area of the store, and I yelled "Hey, get out here!" Like an idiot, the guy came out to see what was going on.

Holding him at gunpoint, I made him lie down on the floor. I then called "911" and told them what was going on. Only minutes after I hung up with the "911" operator, police officers rushed in and took over, arresting the guy for attempted robbery and destruction of property.

That was three days ago. Now, whenever I go downtown everybody acts like they're my best friend. It's almost embarrassing. People keep offering me huge discounts, and free food at restaurants. (side note: I also own a restaurant, so food is the least of my needs).

I've got to tell you all, being thought of as the hero of the hour sure feels good. Unfortunately, it also feels very, very weird. I'll sure be glad when things get back to normal around town. Until then, I guess I'll just grin and endure all the attention that I'm getting.

--- C0113c70r

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well done. There aren't many people who would have the guts to do what you did.

hellstrom

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
What were you doing with a handgun? :huh:
Apparently it sometimes comes in handy.

Well done.

Zorro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good Job.

I want to be a hero too!
This Christmas, I'll be asking Santa for a special gift...you guessed it right I want a HANDGUN!!!

JohnGBUK

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jesus... an hangun on your person, and this seems to me as I read it nothing extraordinary. Thank god I live in the UK.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
did subway give you anything? free subs for life or something?

not to be greedy, i was just wondering.

btw - good job!

WebMomentum

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats - you're a better man than me.

I may have stopped the robbery (probably not though), but I woulda pistol-whipped the burglar and probably would have ended up sharing a cell with him.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great job! Is a handgun standard issue with a leather jacket??? :)

vivnet

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would have offered you a FAX machine! - Didn't you once say "There's also a problem in that I do not have a fax machine, and the nearest fax service to my home is approximately 20 miles (I live in the swamps of Alabama)." - or is it my imagination?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by C0113c70r
Everybody looks forward to the day when they become the local hero. My day came this past Thursday night, and I thought I'd share it with my friends here at DNF.

My software company is located next to a Subway sandwich shop in downtown Mobile, AL. This past Thursday night, I heard a lot of screaming and crashing noises coming from the Subway. I grabbed my leather jacket and headed for the door, when I noticed the girl that worked at Subway standing in the middle of the road yelling for help. When I got to the door, she ran to me and yelled "He's trying to rob me!"

Loud crashing noises were still coming from the Subway, so I looked in and saw a black man trying to break down the door that seperated the dining room from the area where the cash register was kept. He had his back to me, and was throwing his body against the door.

I pulled my handgun from my jacket and went into the store at the exact moment that the would-be burgular was able to bust down the door. He was already inside the back area of the store, and I yelled "Hey, get out here!" Like an idiot, the guy came out to see what was going on.

Holding him at gunpoint, I made him lie down on the floor. I then called "911" and told them what was going on. Only minutes after I hung up with the "911" operator, police officers rushed in and took over, arresting the guy for attempted robbery and destruction of property.

That was three days ago. Now, whenever I go downtown everybody acts like they're my best friend. It's almost embarrassing. People keep offering me huge discounts, and free food at restaurants. (side note: I also own a restaurant, so food is the least of my needs).

I've got to tell you all, being thought of as the hero of the hour sure feels good. Unfortunately, it also feels very, very weird. I'll sure be glad when things get back to normal around town. Until then, I guess I'll just grin and endure all the attention that I'm getting.

--- C0113c70r

Great job!

I just wanted to point out, Subway is my favourite resteraunt, I eat there contstantly, thanks for protecting my life of good food :-D

And I am aware guns are common to own in the US, especially the south, but you bring it to work and walk around with it in your pocket?!

Kind of scary if you ask me :-D

C0113c70r

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What am I doing with a handgun?

I own two businesses located in the heart of our city's Downtown Business and Entertainment District. My businesses both close late in the evening, so I find it quite handy to have a bit of protection when walking my wife and family to our vehicles in the middle of the night. (Plus, I do some private detective work on the side for a local PI firm).

Did Subway give me something? Well, believe it or not, they're the only ones in the neighborhood who didn't show me any gratitude. The owner never even said "thank you". But that's okay. I didn't do what I did for her anyhow. The way I see it, if I hadn't done something, he could very well have tried to rob one of my businesses next - or worse.

I guess the best thing I got out of what I did was when the teary-eyed young lady that was working there came over, thanked me and gave me a big hug. Who can ask for anything more?

--- C0113c70r

PS - In the middle of writing this reply, a television news crew came by to interview me. I sure love the camera.

C0113c70r

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by vivnet
I would have offered you a FAX machine!

Thanx for the offer. I just got one last week. Now, I'm officially running with the "in" crowd. Unfortunately, I no longer have an excuse for not getting the paperwork where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.

--- C0113c70r

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
great work, that was a damn courageous thing you did.

I am also an avid Subway fan, thank you for saving my restaurant of choice for most lunches...

vivnet

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad you finally got that Fax machine C0113c70r - seriously - what you did was very heroic. We need more people like you in this world. This world would certainly be a better place. Happy Holidays!

C0113c70r

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharpy
Great job! Is a handgun standard issue with a leather jacket??? :)

I had to accessorize.

I saw the police video from the street cam yesterday. Seeing myself standing in my knee-length Shearling leather jacket, wearing dark glasses and holding a pistol drawn on a man looked really spooky. Reminded me of one of those old wiseguy movies.

--- C0113c70r

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom