Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

MySpace Typos Being Sold Like Hotcakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what i meant to say was that...myspace was bought out just recently, so things should/could change.

Domain Days 2024

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know...I did'nt post about your comment..it was the knucklehead above ya

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
due to the PPC main companies looking to get rid of payment for the low value traffic. Perhaps that is why we are seeing a ton of typo stuff being dropped and/or sold now. Don't buy crap these guys are pumping and dumping while they run for the doors.

TM typo or typo traffic is not CHEAP traffic, Its the best traffic!!!
CHEAP Traffic is link ..etc traffic

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
TM typo or typo traffic is not CHEAP traffic, Its the best traffic!!!
CHEAP Traffic is link ..etc traffic
TM typo traffic is rewarded with the lowest sales multiple out there now because buyers have no idea how long that ppc will be paid on it. The revenue can be here today and gone tomorrow if the companies take action, along with fines etc. if federal suits are brought. Once a Fed suit is filed, they can quiz ICANNt, the registry, registrar, etc. etc. and go after the domainer and/or the domain. If he's hiding in PingPong or Botswannaland to pull this crap, they can still get an order to shut down the domain or take it over. How much are people willing to pay to buy uncertain traffic revenue?

PPC companies are moving away from that stuff, and promoting the use of good generic traffic names. Read Duke's DNjournal article on it today. IMO the Net will soon eliminate typos and the game will be over. Those that have built their portfolios with typo stuff will be looking at other domain areas to move to, including alternative extensions.

smarouli said:
can you post more info on this? thanks SM
Yahoo! Inc. v. yahooahtos.com, et al. / Civil Action No. CV 1441 JCC/TRJ

Also funny is that it appears all or most of these names are at GoDaddy, and I do believe it's policy there that they automatically hit you with a ($39?) fee if a WIPO / NAF / or Federal suit is brought because they have to handle their processing of the complaint.

What is 1800+ times $39 anyway? :cheeky:

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well.. there are also typos which aren't directly related to a particular TM. For example, if you own a typo of a website with huge traffic but without TM's you could be safer.

I think that typos are useful in many ways, you just need to be careful with TMs. That's not only about PPC earnings, you know.

Like Mocus said, you can redirect traffic from typos to appropriate websites and earn free advertising.

I also prefer focusing on good generics, but I find owning some typos helps the average domainer life. You can always find someone willing to buy them, for example.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah but i wanna this,if you own a domain and you are based in the u.k and the company has a tm in the u.s,is there anything they can do as they do not have a tm here in the u.k or even based in timbuktoo or any other kind oif third world country where the gun rules ?

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
PPC companies are moving away from that stuff, and promoting the use of good generic traffic names. Read Duke's DNjournal article on it today. IMO the Net will soon eliminate typos and the game will be over. Those that have built their portfolios with typo stuff will be looking at other domain areas to move to, including alternative extensions.

well that will never happen. I mean they can not remove all tm-d typos, thats not possible. Yes they can ban some names, but all???? Come one think about it. And who says that a name has Tm issues? Only court can do that. Typo traffic also pays to parking companys, so they will not let the revenue go!!!

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In any case, it is still quite odd that 3-4 sales threads with rather big myspace typos were listed for sale on the very SAME day. Am I alone in thinking that there's something more to this than just jumping the 'bandwagon' after the $xx.xxx sales.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
In any case, it is still quite odd that 3-4 sales threads with rather big myspace typos were listed for sale on the very SAME day. Am I alone in thinking that there's something more to this than just jumping the 'bandwagon' after the $xx.xxx sales.

Also it can be, that myspace is getting more traffic then usual, also the typos. So they try to sell them for higher. As You know they don´t make much in PPC, so it`s not easy to monatize them.

PS! But looks like they are already sending Wipo-s out, somone who owns some already posted it.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
well that will never happen. I mean they can not remove all tm-d typos, thats not possible. Yes they can ban some names, but all???? Come one think about it. And who says that a name has Tm issues? Only court can do that. Typo traffic also pays to parking companys, so they will not let the revenue go!!!
Stuff, Final answer? I'm sure they are working on it. Think about it. If a simple domainer can locate high traffic US trademarks to typo in .com and syphen traffic, you don't think Yahoo or Google (where all the money comes from) can identify those and eliminate them? They do the "did you mean" function in their search bars now. Companies have begun banding together to search out TM offenders and target them. They have much better research, money and attorneys at their disposal than any and all typosquatters. Only reason the squatters have gotten away with it so far is that the companies weren't focused on it. They are starting to get focused now. That's why you see suits and big drops like that of LaPorte and the little squatters scrambling to pick up the crumbs. We are also seeing the parking services moving away from those names lest they find themselves spending tons on legal defense.

The Net is still under US DoC control, and ICANNt and the registries/registrars still have to answer to them. If the US Federal Court issues an order to pull a name or stop revenue, you can bet it will happen no matter where the registrant is located. I predict what will happen to those foreign registrars like Joker.com etc that aid the scammers and think they're safe in Germany, is the US based .com registry (Verislime) will be ordered to cancel their registrar agreement and all names moved, and ICANNt will be ordered to cancel their accredation. Will love to see it when it happens.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
PS! But looks like they are already sending Wipo-s out, somone who owns some already posted it.

Where was this information posted?

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems as some have already received C&D letters from Myspace.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like to say I told you so...
but:

"I told you so"

I really don't get enough respect around here...

The Pain

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My main point was when you see people saying that there is no risk in buying typos of myspace or any other such names, they are just blowing smoke. I know many people that buy TM typos but they KNOW the risks of buying such names and accept that risk. That's why TM typos generaly sell for 6 - 18 months revenue and generic names sell for 5 to 15 years revenue. It's all about the legal risk.

Anyone saying different is misinformed or intentionally misleading people. IMHO.

The Pain

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Pain said:
My main point was when you see people saying that there is no risk in buying typos of myspace or any other such names, they are just blowing smoke. I know many people that buy TM typos but they KNOW the risks of buying such names and accept that risk. That's why TM typos generaly sell for 6 - 18 months revenue and generic names sell for 5 to 15 years revenue. It's all about the legal risk.

Anyone saying different is misinformed or intentionally misleading people. IMHO.

The Pain

Great post and very true...:approve:

I wonder what Mocus has to say about all this...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom