Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

need your advice on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had the name, and it suddenly increased just before new years, and so in January I sold it. After that I sold it I was chatting with Josh, and asked what the stats were like, and he said in the few hundred range, which when I sold it, the stats were a average (over a few month since I started it) 137, so I was surprised, but I was happy for him. I don't know if he pumped it or not. That is something I can't say. You can see the current stats in the link I provided in his thread.

spiderden

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If he has had the site 9 days... and without seeing his stats... there is and has been a google database rotation going on, I scan the post but never saw where the traffic lost was coming from

also Mr deleted said it pick up in Jan, there was also a index update about that time, once the pr/backlink update hit the results it had could have been buried.

another thought.. if the other pixel sites linking to , had a google drop on these updates then the traffic would also fall off

BTW... was not trying to defend the seller outright, but google has updated in this timeframe, the seller would have no way of knowing what the update would bring...

well ... last edit...

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but would that shoot the site down to 1/10 of the traffic?

another thought, how would i know what traffic was lost? if i never saw it...i took over the site and the most uvs was 78/day. never once even saw three figures.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont know what to say bro, sounds like my time line was right. If you are unhappy there are many roads to take. As long as everyone is happy in the end to some degree. A case can be made for both sides it appears, no obvious pump, but no way to say 100% it didnt happen. Have you tried chatting with thejosh again?

spiderden

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
rephrase it, told me who not to buy from... well I was being honest.. I did not like the blue jean, store comment to begin with it seemed out of line

however all said and done, the buyer maybe should have spent some time researching the site, it clearly shows overall it was in decline

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just dont see how traffic being reffered from MDHP could have gone from a few hundreds visits per day to almost none.

I expected a big drop, but that's almost a little too big...

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The serps have been in a major freenzy the last 6-7 days ,

I know some may not agree, but its true, alot of serp rankings have been way of day to day,

If you could tell me what the keyword terms were for all the traffic, I will take a look at the site and then the serps to see what can fix this,

Unless the traffic from the MDHP is not coming through and then well like 007 said the "fad" has really died down alot

But Let me know what part of the traffic stopped, or where actually,

Joe

bigroxtar

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its tough to say Joe, because i dont really know where the traffic was coming from before the "decline". this thread is getting to be very long now, and there have been lots of questions about different aspects. i dont know what you mean by serp, but as far as key words, it is ranked in million pixel, pixel, million pixel directory, million pixel site. I added several keywords to increase SEO.

Have you tried chatting with thejosh again?

I had an exchange of emails with him where he was clear that any renegotiation or refund was not going to work. here are the discussions we had:

[read from bottom to top for correct order]

okay. well, thats unfortunate. take care.

matt

On 2/27/06, Josh wrote:
Sorry man... a sale is a sale. I bought a pair of jeans at the store the other day and now I realized they are a little long, you think the store will negotiate the price? I sold the name according to my stats, and the previous stats, and I am standing by them. Sorry.

Josh

On 2/27/06, Matt wrote:
wow. i guess i was looking for a bit different response josh. i havent changed anything at all from what you had up, and the site was only down for a day. i figured you might act a little different on this one. i believe that you were selling the site based on page views rather than uniques, thats all i can figure. i am dissappointed that you are feeling so final on this. again, any renegotiation would be helpful on my end.

matt

On 2/27/06, Josh wrote:
Matt,

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I can just not take back the name. I sold it on my stats from 1and1, and that is all I have to go on. If you also look at the previous owners stats they are much higher than what you are experiencing. Perhaps something is up with your server. I am not sure if the downtime has hurt you, changing the pages, pages that I created are missing, etc.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but a deal is a deal.

josh

On 2/27/06, bigroxtar wrote:
Hey josh. This is just not working like you advertised that it would. I thought maybe a few days, but this is going on a week now with really poor stats. I am willing to renegotiote the price, but I would rather just give it back to you, no harm no foul. I would even be willing to replace your lost profit from the last week $8/day for 11 days (im factoring your losses for the return propogation time as well) = $88. So if you want to take back ownership you can pay me back only $xxx - $88 = $xxx. I know you never intended it to work out like this, and I am sure that your stats were legit. However, I would just prefer, since we are both stand up guys and I'm sure will do business in the future, that we return this back to the way it was before. There are two websites that have agreed to post blocks in exchange for a link on milpixel. xxxxxxx.com and xxxxxxxx.com. I can forward their emails to you so that you can get their link exchange as well.

I realize this is probably more trouble than its worth for you, but for some reason, the stats just arent in line with what I bought from you. I think that you are a good person, and I have enjoyed our conversations, but I think the best thing is that I return the site to you.

Thanks.

Matt

however all said and done, the buyer maybe should have spent some time researching the site, it clearly shows overall it was in decline

It would have been helpful to know more in advance, yes. but i spoke to him at length and he said traffic was 300-500/day. 652 if you look at the original sales post. i believe he was being honest, so the traffic was there. then wham, its not. I dont get it.

This whole thing has led me to think about starting a small business set up to regulate these transactions. It seems that there is no accountability to stats and to these exchanges. I think I could set up a inexpensive way for folks to get unbiased traffic results for when they are buying and selling sites. This would in effect get rid of the pump and dump because there would be visible info available to both parties acknowledging how much traffic is coming into the domain and exactly where it is from. How much would you pay for peace of mind when buying a site or domain from someone? If you were handed the info to look at, check, and read the actual stats for yourself and analyze them for a week before you buy? $5, $10, $20? I think that I would hvae paid at maximum $20 to ensure that my purchase was legit. This would sort of standardize traffic results. Perhaps giving a clear perspective for any prospective buyers. For the buyers, there is peace of mind. For the sellers, they can ask a bit higher premium as both parties will know that everything is legit. I am currently looking into the project, but would need to know if anyone would actually use it.

take care all, and thanks for all the help here.

bigroxtar

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bigroxtar said:
This whole thing has led me to think about starting a small business set up to regulate these transactions. It seems that there is no accountability to stats and to these exchanges. I think I could set up a inexpensive way for folks to get unbiased traffic results for when they are buying and selling sites. This would in effect get rid of the pump and dump because there would be visible info available to both parties acknowledging how much traffic is coming into the domain and exactly where it is from. How much would you pay for peace of mind when buying a site or domain from someone? If you were handed the info to look at, check, and read the actual stats for yourself and analyze them for a week before you buy? $5, $10, $20? I think that I would hvae paid at maximum $20 to ensure that my purchase was legit. This would sort of standardize traffic results. Perhaps giving a clear perspective for any prospective buyers. For the buyers, there is peace of mind. For the sellers, they can ask a bit higher premium as both parties will know that everything is legit. I am currently looking into the project, but would need to know if anyone would actually use it.

take care all, and thanks for all the help here.

bigroxtar

This is already in the works here at dnf ;)

See this thread for more info: http://www.dnforum.com/f72/domain-stats-verification-discussion-only-thread-135485.html

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry man... a sale is a sale. I bought a pair of jeans at the store the other day and now I realized they are a little long, you think the store will negotiate the price? I sold the name according to my stats, and the previous stats, and I am standing by them. Sorry.

This response angers me greatly.

thejosh hasn't posted anything in this thread and the more and more I think about it, the more and more I believe he intentionally scammed you.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bring on the DNF Verified stat counter service.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this is the end result for you. Not being a great computer tech guy myself I want to get more into revenue genrating domains BUT story after story like this keeps me at bay. Until I learn how to do things on my own I will never buy a name that supposedly generates traffic or income UNLESS an obvious assumption can be made. It's like rolling the dice and quite frankly the odds are against you.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BobDiGiTaL said:
Bring on the DNF Verified stat counter service.

It will launch early next week.

-=DCG=-

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Traffic names are generally a joke. The only two I ever tried to sell (out of thousands of names I own) led to threads that got way out of hand. Type-In traffic is pretty much what you need to look for......all of this other traffic can be manufactured in about 3,700 hundred different ways. Would a knowledeable domainer sell you a high traffic or high revenue name at a bargain? Christ, people can forward traffic to any site they want.

Legitimate type-in traffic of just a few uniques per day makes for a valuable domain. Brandable names will always survive and they will be standing in the end. If you can't figure out why a domain is getting a lot of traffic then it probably isn't.

You never hear horror stories about someone buying a brandable name. After all, it is what it is. The great traffic names are rarely up for sale....why the hell would they be..... so someone could offer 8 months revenue? You can step up to the plate and start offering real money for powerhouse names, or you can go the manufactured traffic route. Think of all of the money you will save in the future by staying away from this stuff.

Write it off. Don't ask for a refund unless you would have offered to pay The Josh a bonus if the traffic had been double. Fair is fair. These names were running out of steam and the final Blow-Off phase was right around the first of the year when the media attention hit it's peak.

You can turn a negative into a positive by learning from your buying mistake. Who do you think is going to get the better of the deal....a more knowledgeable seller or a less knowledgeable buyer? What sane person would sell any name making dollars per day for under a few thousand dollars? This is Econ 101 stuff. Most all legitimate revenue sold for under 10 YEARS REVENUE is just plain insanity....there is usually a reason.

Good luck to everyone. You are in the right business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom