Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Network Solutions' Answer To All Its Problems: 100 Year Registrations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"You’ve seen the stories about companies that let valuable domain names lapse just because someone forgot to renew. Now, as a Network Solutions® customer, it doesn’t have to happen to you. Network Solutions’ exclusive new 100 Year Domain Service allows you to extend the term of any — or all — of your domain name registrations for the longest term available.

You will no longer need to keep track of expiration dates for your domain name registrations. Your domain name registration is kept up to date and registered in your name by Network Solutions, the trusted leader in domain name registrations under management.

When you order 100 Year Domain Service you pay only $9.99 per year for each domain name — our lowest price available. That represents a savings of more than 70% compared to paying annually.

We have provided a recommendation of the domain names that we think will benefit from the 100 year service. Just click the button below to view some of the domain names in your Network Solutions account that have been registered for multiple years. Secure these domain names into the next century today."

They're freakin' nuts!!

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually its a pretty smart idea on their part for those who don't want to worry about it.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Other registrar will follow soon.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who knows what the Internet will be like in 100 years. If there's even an Internet still around.

RMF

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Can I order 500 years? I feel insecure.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good idea, yes. but its a bit too long.

when we die, who will the domain go to? it will just be a domain floating in space and 100 years from now there will be domain brokers exactly like ourselves waiting for the domain to drop so that they can make some money.

i believe the maximum term should be 50 years, as this will mean that the majority of us will live to see them drop; in fact in 50 years who knows what we could be doing?

im not sure what the legal issues are if we die whilst we own domains, but I know that in 100 years .com's might not even be #1.

the fact is, netsol has proposed a 100 year registration because it wants it's money now, possibly to prepare itself for WLS by gaining an edge earlier on.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Hot-dog, 50 is good enough, but then what if I die and my kids get sloppy... so add another 50 and what if their kids get sloppy... add another 50...and so on.

-=DCG=-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't even think the Internet will still be like what we know today in 10 years; but then the 100 year thingy is NOT about 100 years but $999! (In other words, 50 years are not good enough monetary-wise, unelss they charge $20 a year.) Moreover, I guess NetSol is targeting BUSINESS/CORPORATE clients instead of individuals, and that 100 years label is more for marketing purpose (secure your domain into the next century) and is chosen for that reason over e.g. 75 years.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
and I'm sure that Network Solutions will be around in 100 years to ensure that my 100 year renewal contract is still honored. :-O

unbelievable.

-Joe

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually its a pretty smart idea on their part for those who don't want to worry about it.

I agree.

Obviously this isn't for resellers. But how many times have we seen good domains drop because of lost passwords and just corporate neglect.

Other registrar will follow soon.

NSI isn't the first.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a stretch!

Another money grab in my opinion. The registries can't even accept registrations longer than 10 years by contract with ICANN. This means NSI is sitting on 90+ years of your reg fee earning interest. It also means you are stuck with them as a registrar for 100 years or you lose your money. How many times do you think the TOS will change in 100 years?

Most serial killers don't even get a sentence that long or severe.

I had to check it out myself and found the rules:
PROTECT YOUR DOMAIN NAME REGISTRATION INTO THE NEXT CENTURY.
Every day, companies lose their domain names by accident because they failed to renew. Protect your valuable online identity for 100 years and rest assured that it will be automatically renewed into the next century.

No worries or renewal notices for 100 years.
When you purchase the 100 Year Domain Service, Network Solutions will automatically ensure that your domain name remains registered to you for the next 100 years.

Exclusively from Network Solutions.
The 100 Year Domain Service is another way that we are making it easier to manage and maintain your domain names.

Our Best Price.
Lock in your domain registration for our lowest price available - just $9.99 a year. This is a savings of over 70% compared to paying annually.

How does the 100 Year Domain Service work?
Network Solutions will register your domain name for the maximum term available at the underlying domain registry and then, as long as your domain is registered with Network Solutions, we’ll add additional years to that registration on an annual basis, ensuring that your registration is always renewed until it has been registered to you for a total of 100 years of registration service from the date of your purchase.

What if I transfer my domain name to another registrar?
It is important to note that your pre-paid 100 Year Domain Service is provided exclusively by Network Solutions for you, and will terminate upon any transfer of your domain name to another registrar, with no refunds. The number of registration years that transfer to a new registrar will be the current term of the registration at the time of transfer, as reflected in WHOIS.

How can I confirm how many years I have remaining on my 100 Year Domain Service?
Network Solutions online Account Manager will always display the expiration date of your 100 Year Domain Service.

Who is the 100 Year Domain Service for?
Network Solutions' 100 Year Domain Service is perfect for individuals or businesses that place a high value on keeping their domain registration indefinitely, and don’t want to worry about losing their registration because they didn’t open a renewal notice or have their credit card information up-to-date.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What a joke! Man what are the odds that somehow the system will get messed up and in ten years they will forget to re reg peoples names and of course not be responsible for the error.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What a joke! Man what are the odds that somehow the system will get messed up and in ten years they will forget to re reg peoples names and of course not be responsible for the error.

Lol, that would be bad :)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Moreover, I guess NetSol is targeting BUSINESS/CORPORATE clients instead of individuals, and that 100 years label is more for marketing purpose (secure your domain into the next century) and is chosen for that reason over e.g. 75 years.
I agree(?) its mostly a "gimmick". Basically "set it, and forget it" for big corporations and medium-sized businesses. No one wants to be the Washington Post, and go screaming at their IT departments after the fact. Scrabble.com, Pictionary.com... Network Solutions seems to be high on focus groups, so I doubt this is some bolt from the blue idea that didn't have any substantive interest from their customers. I think 100 years is more about not having to think about domain registration it until long after your dead. Renewal needs a valid card to renew on, and "10 years" eventually goes away.

I wonder more about "transferring". say you didn't care about the money you left on the table, and simply wanted to switch to a different registrar. If you domain expiration date is always maxed out (at 10 years annually), is a transfer possible, even without "ADDING" a year when you do so?

~ Nexus

M

mole

Nexus said:
II wonder more about "transferring". say you didn't care about the money you left on the table, and simply wanted to switch to a different registrar.

I guess that's part of the plan, so you don't ever think about switching. I agree it's just a marketing gimmick to get corporate attention.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
I agree(?) its mostly a "gimmick". Basically "set it, and forget it" for big corporations and medium-sized businesses. No one wants to be the Washington Post, and go screaming at their IT departments after the fact. Scrabble.com, Pictionary.com... Network Solutions seems to be high on focus groups, so I doubt this is some bolt from the blue idea that didn't have any substantive interest from their customers. I think 100 years is more about not having to think about domain registration it until long after your dead. Renewal needs a valid card to renew on, and "10 years" eventually goes away.

I wonder more about "transferring". say you didn't care about the money you left on the table, and simply wanted to switch to a different registrar. If you domain expiration date is always maxed out (at 10 years annually), is a transfer possible, even without "ADDING" a year when you do so?

~ Nexus

interesting.. :)

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Think about what the world had 10 years ago: I remember we had been trying to dial up to connect my university's edu site to check what kind of animal the internet is? Basically there were almost no domain name issues at that time as far as I remember.

Today in 2004 domain names are real estates. The direction is towards securing the most valuable domain names or corporate names. Depending on the name itself I personally may like to use 100 years, say, if I had a 2-letter .com to protect my investment. Would you feel safer to buy a 2-letter.com from someone who shows you 100-years of reg agrement or someone with 1-year registration?

I think the idea of 100 years of registration seems logical. The only problem here is the supplier: The Network Solution. As stated before Netsol can not guarantee that after the owner dies or after 10 years a [mod]*******[/mod] guy stole all my 2-letter .coms, IMO.

TurNIC.com

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only good thing i can see is........it locks in a specific price for a determined number of years!

who knows what the price of domain registration will be in 15 yrs!

Maybe I will extend registrations of my domains to max!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom