Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Network Solutions' Answer To All Its Problems: 100 Year Registrations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some simple calcs:

$999 x 5% (annual interest) = $50/yr
So, rather than paying $9.99/yr, one is paying 5 times that based on a relatively low 5% annual interest rate. Plust no refunds! VerySmart

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hiOsilver said:
Some simple calcs:

$999 x 5% (annual interest) = $50/yr
So, rather than paying $9.99/yr, one is paying 5 times that based on a relatively low 5% annual interest rate. Plust no refunds! VerySmart

Try compounding and here's what you would end up with after 100 years: $999. present value, 5% annual percentage rate, 100 years = $131,369.75 :-D

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
VeriSign arent VeriSmart. (pun intended).

Their target audience, the corporate users, are most likely to look at the contract to ever fine detail, they will then go for shorter term contracts with enom :D. Although, then again, they wont be so bothered about the money.

Throughout the whole thread I never knew about the 5% interest, this sheds a whole new light on things.

I dont like VeriSign VeriMuch (I couldnt help myself).

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wouldnt you pay the $999 flat out? that would mean that there is no interest therefore no need to pay it.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:
wouldnt you pay the $999 flat out? that would mean that there is no interest therefore no need to pay it.

In economics, it's called opportunity cost. There is also no interest earned on the money paid to them. They get 99 years free use of $9.95, 98 years use of $19.90, 97 years of $29.85, etc. It's really a reverse annuity.

In simpler form, if you invest $9.95 per year at 6% compound interest, in 100 years you would have $70,725.90. Therefore, paying $995 for 100 years registration, but forgoing $70,725.90 in income. A net loss of $69k, when you subtract the $995 paid now.

Great deal, Huh?

M

mole

I'm selling t-shirts and hundred year registrations at gokookoo.com

I'm a Microsoft fan and I renewed Microsoft.com for 100 years :-D

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Does anyone seriously believe that their domain will have any value in 2014? Will we still be using TCP/IP? Probably not. That being the case, will domains still resolve the same way, or some way that we haven't even imagined yet?

I completely agree.

protocols such as IRC and FTP are demonstrative of new wawys of using the internet.

changing the most major way of communication may seem a bit radical at first and is not in the near future; the internet has only just started, however I am willing to invest in new systems soon.

slightly out of topic, however... DVD will soon be dying out to something called DivX/XViD... these technologies allow films to fit on a single 700MB CD whilst still maintaining the quality of the dvd. The only drawback is the fact that no interctive menus etc. are available, and at the moment there arent a lot of DVD players that can support the speed needed for them (Yes, some DVD players can already play these formats - however not very well).
++++++++++++++++++++

What a bunch of nonsense.

Yes, domains will have value for a long time to come.

Of course domains will still be used in 2014.

Do you think the world gives a rat's ass about domainers? It doesn't.

But educational institutions and governments and corporations have invested zillions in the domain system, far too much for it to go away. We are riding on their coattails.

The DVD change to another format is a poor analogy. The internet is upgradable. Look at how many versions of internet browsers there have been in the last 10 years.

Basic navigation using domains WORKS. Why fix something that ain't broke?

Maybe the net will evolve in some unforeseen way.. someday. But I don't see it now, and I am craning my neck and gazing out far to the horizon.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The compound interest stuff is interesting (pardon the pun) but the correct values are:-

$995 now = $995
$995 in 100 1-year installments of $9.95, compounded @ 5% = $25,969.75

So yes there's a big difference, but it's not quite as outlandish as earlier posters were estimating (not sure how you did your math, fellows)

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing if any organization has purchased this 100 year registration. Verisign have a lot of visitors and mybe just one of them had the money however didnt know about the interest and made a BIG mistake.

DaddyHalbucks: Sorry I said that in the wrong way. I am not saying that it *will*, however these new DivX technologies will become more recognised because they will be cheaper than DVDs, opening th economy to people who have been put off DVDs because of the pricing.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
What a bunch of nonsense.

Yes, domains will have value for a long time to come.

Of course domains will still be used in 2014.
Hmm ... I'm not 100% sure of that.

M

mole

nameslave said:

I agree, the world may have already transitted to IPV10 or something, and the .com maybe give way to -com or +com or @com ad infinitum. Disposable domain names in infinte combinations would just be created in virtual real-time and thrown away as you like. The only thing that will identify you are company or personal internet tags that are domain independent - to help enhance cyber security.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2014, Absolutely.

2104, 100 years from now. Who knows?

I personally see it impossible. Although none of us will admit it... computers are still fairly primitive. A flat screen isnt interactive... Dont reply saying that they are too big to go out of the window, that what was said about black and white TVs LESS than 100 years ago.

The future lies in COMPLETE interactivity, where we will be able to employ all 5 senses to explore realistic worlds. Maybe RPG computer games will really be RPG, where you have to play the role of a gangster, police officer or any other risky role, simulating real life situations in the VR.

I am unsure of the future, but the modern day conception of computers is not the future.

Every 18 months computer the size of computer technology halves, and the speed doubles. computers are moving fast.

Did you know: We had the technology to create a Playstation 2 ATLEAST 3 or 4 years it came out... its only because the corporations wanted to make money of the PSX before releasing something else.

In the UK, who remembers the Honda advert in 1999 with the solar powered car... that was invented back then. But where is it now? Nowhere, companies still see profit potential in current model ranges.

I agree that the internet or another mass form of communication will be available to us in 100 years time, but can we seriously expect domain names to be used? Not in my informed opinion!

Afterall domain names have only ahd value for the past 5 years... one twentieth of how much VeriSign are proposing. They probably know that technology is going to advance away from TCP/IP... they could be simply cashing in whilst the iron is hot, and making a lot of money doing it (if they actually con people of course).

Actually, seeing as that I cant be bothered rewriting what I have just said. I correct myself: The internet gateway as we know it wont be around.... Domain names AT THE MOMENT, are the easiest way to navigate and identify, but not in the future, maybe we will have virtual online worlds where we imagine our destination and a futuristic search engine lists possible places to go.... Virtual Reality is the future!!!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Like I said earlier, when I was playing with my Apple IIe, loading program from an AUDIO cassette tape and plugging the "desktop" to my TV, I could hardly imagine watching movies right from the Internet. Things change, and they change FAST.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, when I was playing with my Apple IIe, loading program from an AUDIO cassette tape and plugging the "desktop" to my TV, I could hardly imagine watching movies right from the Internet. Things change, and they change FAST.
++++++++++++++

At that end of the investment curve.. yes.

That was billions and billions of dollars ago.

But not now. There is too much invested in the domain name system to erase it --far too much disruption-- and not even a replacement in sight.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But not now. There is too much invested in the domain name system to erase it --far too much disruption-- and not even a replacement in sight.

A lot of money, yes. But 90% of people bought a Playstation didnt they? at about 100 GBP per playstation, plus all of the games you bought for it, wasnt that classified as a highly invested source?

If a company gets the chance to make money on a different system rahter than domains, they will do it.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I predict that on October 17th, 2039 the earth will be destroyed by a gigantic asteroid, thus engaging the exit plan of Network Solutions :-D

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I predict that on October 17th, 2039 the earth will be destroyed by a gigantic asteroid, thus engaging the exit plan of Network Solutions

I wish it would hurry up to prove us all right.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Hmm ... I'm not 100% sure of that."

I agree as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom