Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Network Solutions' Answer To All Its Problems: 100 Year Registrations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
who knows what the price of domain registration will be in 15 yrs!

the future is uncertain, and we dont know what the demand for domains will be in 15 years, maybe we will move onto a different system to navigate the www (ok, a bit farfetched but two hundred years ago, who would believe men could fly?)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:
the future is uncertain, and we dont know what the demand for domains will be in 15 years, maybe we will move onto a different system to navigate the www (ok, a bit farfetched but two hundred years ago, who would believe men could fly?)

Noone told me men could fly....lmao :)

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
havent you ever watched superman? duh

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We have things called microwaves now... they warm food & also can defrost it too! :)

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if I transfer my domain name to another registrar?
It is important to note that your pre-paid 100 Year Domain Service is provided exclusively by Network Solutions for you, and will terminate upon any transfer of your domain name to another registrar, with no refunds. The number of registration years that transfer to a new registrar will be the current term of the registration at the time of transfer, as reflected in WHOIS.

ha. this is all very silly, especially considering your name will probably still get 'jacked from NSI.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
although unlikely, what if netsol becomes bankrupt, what happens to our registration then?!

as I mentioned before, we do not know the future. We cannot predict it. and many prosumably successful companies have suddenly filed themselves bankrupt.... Please dont reply saying 'But This Is Netsol! A Multi-Millionaire Business... Its Not Going!', I am sure some stock brokers will give you a long list of companies suddenly going bankrupt.

maybe the 100 year registration is a sign that they "are" going bankrupt and trying to get themselves out of it by having such large investments.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HotDog, you are never out of risk?

What if Verisign goes out of business and the name-server/registry servers go down?

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hotdog_pk said:
Please dont reply saying 'But This Is Netsol! A Multi-Millionaire Business... Its Not Going!', I am sure some stock brokers will give you a long list of companies suddenly going bankrupt.

I agree. I'll bet a lot of people thought the idea of Enron going bankrupt a year before they did was crazy. Also, rememer that NSI is no longer part of Verisign since they were divested to keep the com/net registry, and lose large percentages of registrants a year to the cheaper registrars.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll bet a lot of people thought the idea of Enron going bankrupt a year before they did was crazy.

Lol, I had never heard of Enron :-D

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, I expect domains will be a different beast in 5 years. Look at the changes that have occured over the last 100 or so years - photography, electricity, cars, planes, computers.. and the rate of change is accelerating.

Does anyone seriously believe that their domain will have any value in 2014? Will we still be using TCP/IP? Probably not. That being the case, will domains still resolve the same way, or some way that we haven't even imagined yet?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With the corperate crouding, that may also push for a new system.

Like, who should get Hallmark.com ?

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HotDog, you are never out of risk?

What if Verisign goes out of business and the name-server/registry servers go down?

I agree, but registering for a hundred years means that the risk factor is increased dramatically. I was simply highlighting this.

Although I dont know when Verisign was founded, I dont think they, themselves, have even been operating for 100 Years. How can they promise to hold a website for 100 years when they havent survived that long themselves, yet?

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone seriously believe that their domain will have any value in 2014? Will we still be using TCP/IP? Probably not. That being the case, will domains still resolve the same way, or some way that we haven't even imagined yet?
I completely agree.

protocols such as IRC and FTP are demonstrative of new wawys of using the internet.

changing the most major way of communication may seem a bit radical at first and is not in the near future; the internet has only just started, however I am willing to invest in new systems soon.

slightly out of topic, however... DVD will soon be dying out to something called DivX/XViD... these technologies allow films to fit on a single 700MB CD whilst still maintaining the quality of the dvd. The only drawback is the fact that no interctive menus etc. are available, and at the moment there arent a lot of DVD players that can support the speed needed for them (Yes, some DVD players can already play these formats - however not very well).

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
Quite honestly, I expect domains will be a different beast in 5 years. Look at the changes that have occured over the last 100 or so years - photography, electricity, cars, planes, computers.. and the rate of change is accelerating.

Things do tend to evolve, but consider this. Computers as we know them, other than a few supercomputers are only 25 years old, and electronic computers are only about 50 years old. Only 10 years ago, people on the internet were using gopher, verionica, archie, and jughead to navigate the internet (and they are not the cartoon characters). Google was a very large number, and Yahoo was a crude person (I still find this hilarious :-D ). Only 20 years ago in college, I ran computer programs on punchcards on the then massive 4-Megabyte computer with no monitors.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adoptabledomains said:
I agree. I'll bet a lot of people thought the idea of Enron going bankrupt a year before they did was crazy. Also, rememer that NSI is no longer part of Verisign since they were divested to keep the com/net registry, and lose large percentages of registrants a year to the cheaper registrars.
I think it makes more sense to compare NetSol to @home or MCI/WorldCom, and NOT Enron. At least the formers, most folk are clearer about. Companies like these that go out of business transfer you over to other companies as assets are sold. Consumer impact is one of the most important aspects of businesses that go belly-up, so I'd imagine a company like NetSol wouldn't simply delete your names during their hypothetical death knell. I'd say the odds are strong that 100 year custmers would have their contracts honored. Theoretically, these would be important customers to the inevitable new cartaker. Only out of technical necessity have I seen mass failure problems related to big company swan dives like @home users suddenly losing their e-mail addresses. I think people with a warrantied service should still get that service, within reason, if a company needs to be purchased by another.

While their revenue may be shrinking... NetSol still gets premium dollar from its customers.

~ Nexus

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adoptabledomains said:
Only 20 years ago in college, I ran computer programs on punchcards on the then massive 4-Megabyte computer with no monitors.
4MB! I was writing simple Black Jack program using BASIC on my Apple IIe back then, and memory was counted in KB. :cry:

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
4MB! I was writing simple Black Jack program using BASIC on my Apple IIe back then, and memory was counted in KB. :cry:

Yes, but this was the single mainframe computer used by the whole university.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
I think it makes more sense to compare NetSol to @home or MCI/WorldCom, and NOT Enron. At least the formers, most folk are clearer about. Companies like these that go out of business transfer you over to other companies as assets are sold. Consumer impact is one of the most important aspects of businesses that go belly-up, so I'd imagine a company like NetSol wouldn't simply delete your names during their hypothetical death knell. I'd say the odds are strong that 100 year custmers would have their contracts honored. Theoretically, these would be important customers to the inevitable new cartaker. Only out of technical necessity have I seen mass failure problems related to big company swan dives like @home users suddenly losing their e-mail addresses. I think people with a warrantied service should still get that service, within reason, if a company needs to be purchased by another.

While their revenue may be shrinking... NetSol still gets premium dollar from its customers.

~ Nexus

regardless, If the company were to go bankrupt, anything beyond the 10 years already paid to the registry would be put in as a standard bankruptcy unsecured creditor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom