Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New Admin on Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Originally posted by Mr Webname
Whilst most members are happy to see the improvements in DNForum and the contribution made by GD it is unfortunate that you both seize on the opportunity to post negatively and incorrectly.

It may be a negative opinion but I doubt it is incorrect imho, web. I have been silently observing people here for a long time and I have seen the enthusiam here on this forum drop dramatically over time to DNFs detriment. However, if you think I should not "seize the opportunity" for whatever political agenda that prevails, please feel free to delete my post.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname Both of these replies are un-called for. GD has worked hard to improve the situation at DNF and now as Admin has already showed his desire and ability to get things moving. To accuse him of lacking the ability to balance motivation with PR is nonsense.
As for RealNames' post - you were promoting your own site in a non-advertising forum, this is not allowed. GD promotes his interests through his signature, which is allowed.

Whilst most members are happy to see the improvements in DNForum and the contribution made by GD it is unfortunate that you both seize on the opportunity to post negatively and incorrectly.

Are you saying if someone requests information we are not allowed to reply if we also happen to have a website url which answers the question? So only those of us who do not have a website covering that subject need respond! That's absurd if this is what you mean:rolleyes:

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i agree with mole and realnames.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole, there is no "political agenda" here, neither do I wish to delete your post. However I can state quite categorically that GD is a positive influence for change and improvement here at DNForum. Not only that but GD is inviting and obtaining the assistance of others in improving the facilities of DNForum for all, some of which have been already enjoyed by the members (after just over 24 hours) and more is to come.

It is always easy of course to be negative and destructive, critical of the actions of others and reflecting on the past. It is quite different to look to the present, to be involved, positive and constructive - giving of your time and energies for the benefit of others.

RealNames, what I am saying is that the forum rules state that you are not allowed to promote your own services outside of the Advertising Forum - you can answer anyone's question by pointing them to an independant link, or you can PM an answer which includes your link (as long as they don't view that as spam!). There is no logical reason why you as an individual should have different rules to every other member.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname ....RealNames, what I am saying is that the forum rules state that you are not allowed to promote your own services outside of the Advertising Forum - you can answer anyone's question by pointing them to an independant link, or you can PM an answer which includes your link (as long as they don't view that as spam!). There is no logical reason why you as an individual should have different rules to every other member. [/B]

Don't you think a members url could likely be more beneficial and targeted than a 3rd party independant link. Plus what is wrong with giving a members website a little free exposure anyway, especially if it benefits the poster?

I fail to understand what in the world is wrong with mentioning your url in a thread providing it is in RESPONSE to a specific request on the same subject. How is that spamming?

Also disagree that this constitutes 'promoting your services' as you say. No where did I ask him to buy a product or even mention a service for sale.

It's really amazingly ridiculous of you 2 guys to say that, and to also say only one reply is allowed per thread as GD did.

M

mole

It is always easy of course to be negative and destructive, critical of the actions of others and reflecting on the past. It is quite different to look to the present, to be involved, positive and constructive - giving of your time and energies for the benefit of others.

I agree fully, web. I think I only asked DCG why, and gave my opinion why, I think this decision of putting this head honcho thingy be placed into the hands of helpful, respectful and truely knowledgeable people who understand PR better for the sake of this forum. I don't qualify, but maybe someone like you or Domebase might.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We simply are not going to change the Forum and all of the good things it contains just to suit a couple of members who feel their way is better.

M

mole

We simply are not going to change the Forum and all of the good things it contains just to suit a couple of members who feel their way is better.

ditto to that, web. I just hope that the "we" part of this forum does not mean stealthed digital anarchy for all members. Nough said.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname We simply are not going to change the Forum and all of the good things it contains just to suit a couple of members who feel their way is better.

I really don't care about the fact my url was barred from being in the thread even though it was in direct REPLY to the post. It's extremely rare I ever mention my url's in posts (except in sig lines), and any business it may get is surely not worth the time and trouble anyway.

It's 100% the principle of it, having absolutely nothing to do with not getting any free exposure.

All you are doing Mr Webname is deliberately twisting this to make it sound like I am the bad guy and I am mad over not being able to spam the forum. I do not at all appreciate the innuendos and claiming I did that only to spam, which is a complete fabrication by you and GD.

Sorry but after this BS crap (and some other incidents involving other members here too) I really have to question if you 2 guys are really qualified to be Mods.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
guys, settle down, GiantDomains has been a great member here since I joined nearly a year ago.

I have the utmost respect for him and I believe most of the forum feels this way as well.

This wont change a whole lot on a day-to-day basis for the forums, it just gives us an admin who knows this community and the domain business better than anybody else I know.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames I don't use inuendo and neither do I twist the truth, I say it as it is - let me repeat - you promoted your business interests outside of the Advertising Forum and that is not permitted within the rules of DNForum.

"9. Members will not be allowed to promote their own website/business outside of the Advertising forums, members will be warned and could also lose their forum membership if "spamming" on the forums where it is not allowed. Members are only allowed to create one thread/day in the Advertising forums. Each forum will be monitored for content. Any content that violates DNForum's policies of acceptable use may be removed."

Now what part of "it is against the rules of DNForum" are you having difficulty in understanding?

Please PM me if you are still having problems understanding the issue as this thread was posted for the sole reason of announcing the new Admin position.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must apolgize to the members and mods as I did go somewhat overboard in reacting to the rule of not being allowed to post your own url in specific reply to a post for information. I now understand (thanks to feedback from an admin at a different forum) the reason for the rule is to stop excessive spamming.

However, I still feel that a member who is well known to NOT be a spammer, rarely gives his url's or advertises, and contributes lots of posts to the group should be given a little latitude, rather than have the rule enforced so strongly all the time.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Are you saying if someone requests information we are not allowed to reply if we also happen to have a website url which answers the question? So only those of us who do not have a website covering that subject need respond! That's absurd if this is what you mean:rolleyes:

I would hae to disagree here.

If someone asks for ____, I dont think you should be allowed to reply with your own sites. IMO, What happens is specific requests are ignored, and service could be lacking.

Another instance would be: "What is a good affiliate program"

I dont think people should reply with thier aff links becuase then you wil jsut get the people giving the company great praises so they can have someone sign up under them.

JMHO
I consider GreatDomains to be almost like my mentor,

It's GiantDomains. GreatDomains is a website owned by Verisign.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
I must apologize to the members and mods as I did go somewhat overboard in reacting to the rule of not being allowed to post your own url in specific reply to a post for information. I now understand (thanks to feedback from an admin at a different forum) the reason for the rule is to stop excessive spamming.

You can easily tell if a person is spamming or not spamming by their behavior, their nicks, their signature. Realnames never spammed. I can't say the same for uh, ... ummm... DCG, I just honestly thought you made a bad decision for DNF. Brown nosers don't hack it in my books, sorry guys, I'm sick of mincing words. Bring in DOMEBASE!!! And I sure do miss the good ol days of Saddam aka gregr and Namepop *sigh* when things were a buzzin.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like GiantDomains. He is an excellent choice for admin! Congratulations.

Mole, I disagree. I feel MrWebNames is more heavy-handed and unduly opinionated than GiantDomains. I do however like DomeBase's style immensely, though I think the position requires the congenial sterness that GD has exhibited on many occasions. Everybody has their bad days though. As I don't traffic here often, I may have missed stuff, but personality-wise, it wouldn't match what I have seen.

~ Nexus

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
As I don't traffic here often, I may have missed stuff, but personality-wise, it wouldn't match what I have seen.

~ Nexus
Nexus, I sure WISH you were around more! Believe me, you are missed! :wink:

WebCat

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Cat. Until I finish DomainFolio, shouldn't even be posting in my odd syncopated way either. ;)

~ Nexus

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
Nexus, I sure WISH you were around more! Believe me, you are missed!
Indeed. :)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
I feel MrWebNames is more heavy-handed and unduly opinionated
~ Nexus

All personalities are different and are different on different days and under different circumstances. Sometimes when we have been on the end of an action that we personally disagree with, we may also become clouded as to a perceived understanding of the personality of the other person.
Neither do we always understand the personal circumstances of the individual personality on any particular day, nevertheless as an unfortunate part of human nature we make judgments and often condemn the other without really ever knowing the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom