Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New AfterNIC URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This URL is actually found on namebuysell.com, the new owner of AfterNIC.com. Please take time to read the announcements on both sites.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's weird for a domain-name-selling site to be at a raw IP address instead of a domain name, but I know that's just temporary until they get afternic.com transferred... :)

D

dnGeek

Host name: afternic.com
IP address: 216.21.236.11

Host name: namebuysell.com
IP address: 69.0.136.245

so, which one should we use? :confused:

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. We did upgrade to a more powerful server at Dialtone at the same time we started the migration to Afternic.com.

Any of the above links/IPs will get you to the right place. We have forwarding links everywhere. Just takes DNS a while to catch up with the changes.

Cheers,
Roger

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Umm - the site that can be found at mentioned addresses...is that a temporary layout or the actual design?
Cuz if so i'd recommend to hire any experienced webdesigner...
Btw - i'm willing to provide you with a free logo for afternic.com in exchange for a link to my soon to come logo site :)

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the design of that site?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Agree, the new Afternic site actually looks a lot better than the old one to me.

Well, its HTML coding can use some improvement (check out the validator report ), but it generally works pretty well... I particularly like how the page adapts gracefully to different window sizes instead of hardcoding a pixel width as is trendy among so-called "professional designers".

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks good so far! Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas! :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congrats Roger and good luck.

One very small thing - which may due to a lack of sleep on my part - is that the yellow box seems a bit hard on the eyes and could be less intense IMO :eek: :eek:

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with beatz. Design is no good. But they are working on it. Right?

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are like that company that spent their entire yearly advertising budget on a Super Bowl commercial but in this case they may have spent their entire budget. Nothing left for design work. ;)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
They are like that company that spent their entire yearly advertising budget on a Super Bowl commercial but in this case they may have spent their entire budget. Nothing left for design work. ;)

Here is my opinion on Afternic.com in all deference to the buyer. Not all traffic is good traffic. Especially if it's pointed to the "old section of town". (izopod, circa 2002).

When I think of the "old Afternic.com" a negative thought comes to mind immediately. The hours spent "begging" their customer service guys to pay me what was owed to me has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I am not sure you can create a "new afternic" with that kind of negative branding that went on for years. It will take $$$ (and lots of it) to create a newer, better afternic image. I am not saying it can't be done, but the cost per conversion ratio (izopod, circa 2002) must be looked at.

My advice to the new owner is to create a whole new site under a different URL name (and not NameBuySell.com), using afternic.com as a traffic builder. I suspect that is what GregR was going to do if he had gotten the name.

All in all GregR, I wouldn't be disappointed in not getting Afternic.com. When your "PerfectNames.com" comes online you will have many traffic schemes at your disposal.

Cheers to all. Have a very Merry Christmas...

izopod

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Re design: Yes, we are always working on it. But we are more concerned with the functionality and effectiveness from a technical and business point of view - winning awards from the artists of the industry is not on our short list. We do routinely hire professional web design - feel free to send us your portfolio.

Only because we received so many compliments on our system did we decide to stick with it for Afternic.com. There is always room for improvement and we are improving it almost everyday. Let us know specifically what would help you sell domains, and we'll probably add it to our CR (change request) list.

Re defensive registrations, there are an infinite number we could obtain. We currently have over 180 domains registered for Afternic -- if we choose to keep them all. "New" is an adjective we will soon quit using, so I would never have predicted I should have registered that one. Oh well.

Re superbowl ad, I hope the brand we purchased has longer-lasting value than a superbowl ad.

izopod, we're placing our bet with improving the image of an established brand, rather than trying to establish a new brand.

Thanks to all for your interest and encouraging words.

Merry Christmas!

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

I suspect that is what GregR was going to do if he had gotten the name.

"PerfectNames.com"

You're right izopod, I wouldn't have become Afternic.com but there must be some traffic left. Lot of free parked domain names directed there.

That's www.PerfectName.com, no "s". :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by proproject
izopod, we're placing our bet with improving the image of an established brand, rather than trying to establish a new brand.

I admire that. Coming out and talking with "domainers" openly and frankly is the first step on improving that image. So far you are batting .1000! My only suggestion now that you have taken this path would be to do a new Afternic logo design. Keep the arrows somehow, but change the "look". To create excitement in the community and to "announce" yourself have a contest of some sorts. There are many talented artisians out there who would glady create this logo for you.

One lesson all domain name related businesses can learn from the past is that to be successful, you need to be open with your customers. If something isn't working---be open about it. No need to come out with a "news bullentin" blaming the economic downturn for lack of business. I see too much of that in the business community. Treat your customers like the educated individuals they are and you'll be the better company for it. They "know" what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

izopod

M

mole

What are you guys remorsing about like hemorraging grandmas :weird: Afternic.com was a dotcom gone bad like rotting fish in the sun. It was a very bad decision by Register.com to buy Afternic. Everyone was on halloceginic drugs in 1997-1999.

Bury Afternic. Let's move on. The new Internet has zero tolerance for nostalgic dreamers. :dead:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by proproject
Re design: Yes, we are always working on it. But we are more concerned with the functionality and effectiveness from a technical and business point of view - winning awards from the artists of the industry is not on our short list.

I disagree here. Design=functionality. It also tells individuals whether you are serious about your business. I have no doubt you'll create a technically sound venture, but without a smooth design, all that work will be for not.

Best example I can give to back this claim up is how a book is published. The author comes up with an idea puts words down on paper. A professional editor cleans up the copy. A artist is hired to design the cover, and finally the publishing company markets the book to local book clubs, etc.

In a nutshell to create a successful site---don't do everything yourself.

izopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom