Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New AfterNIC URL

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

I agree with pod. Afternic used to pride itself on programming scripts, but I personally thought that it looked as ugly as hell.

Many designers for high volume sites design for minimal bandwidth consumption. That's okay if you are Google. Afternic needs a major cosmetic surgery to save and turn its image from that dotcom wannabel oser that failed and I'm buying this because of the residual traffic, to ... rediscover Afternic.

Verisign is planning to launch namestore to replace greatdomains.com. So go figure, seriously.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Everyone was on halloceginic drugs in 1997-1999.

Everyone had a pet rock and believed in the power of this rock.

Ah, just goes to show you that the difference between reality and fiction is whether or not someone believes it. (Deep Thoughts by izopod)

izopod

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Verisign is planning to launch namestore to replace greatdomains.com. So go figure, seriously.

Hopefully they are smart enough to use, NameStore.biz!! :D

izopod

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
Ah, just goes to show you that the difference between reality and fiction is whether or not someone believes it. (izopod, circa 2002)

Ah, the power of spin :evil: One man's stupid lose is another man's exuberant gain --- mole, circa 100 B.C.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Ah, the power of spin :evil: One man's stupid lose is another man's exuberant gain --- mole, circa 100 B.C.

You are a wise person mole. You said this 100 years "before com" (b.c) :laugh:

izopod...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
>izopod: Design=functionality.

Usability is NOT graphic design:
http://developer.netscape.com/viewsource/meads_usb.htm

Ah my easily confused board member, I was talking about "layout design". If I can't get to something easily I won't go there. This has everything to do with functionality.

As far as the "graphic design", I have commented. In this case, a new logo needs to be designed for many reasons. Take a look at what Gateway did. They are in what I call a image "retooling". They kept the spots, but made them more sleeker. They didn't want to be tied to the "past"...but didn't want to totally get rid of what made them successful.

Overall I think their campaign will be successful. I like their new "G" trademark the best. It has some of the same characteristics as the "power on" button to your computer. Billions see this "power on" button everyday. Very smart...very smart.

izopod

cokee

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
do anyone know, how much did they pay for the name?

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So What is gonna happen to $49s we had payed. Can we become an automated member of new Afternic?

or a fool born in every second, SAF, circa 200 B.C.?

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its nice that afternic.com is in new hands ;)
I have searched namebuysell before myself.

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SirAlex, we decided we need a billing relationship with every member to help keep the exchange serious, and we did not acquire account information, so we cannot tell who are former Afternic members. We also think it is better for everyone if the membership fee is a small annual one rather than a large one-time fee. So, to make it as easy as possible for former Afternic members to join the new Afternic, we reduced the Exchange membership fee to a nominal $1.95 for the first year. (We plan to raise this to $9.95 a year after the transition period.)

cokee, no, we cannot discuss that. Sorry.

It is clear that "design" has many meanings. We are always striving to improve it. But the general feedback we're getting is that it is an improvement for Afternic.com. BTW, we are acting on some feedback from these discussions to improve the list navigation -- look for more items per page and easier to find Next and Previous links.

Last but not least, and I think this catches me up on all the questions in this thread (if not let me know), we do indeed take the convenience and credibility of our escrow service seriously and appreciate the concerns expressed here. We already have a rigorous busines process for escrow that involves special accounts and a completely automated web application for reporting and following each transaction among all three parties (buyer, seller, and the exchange). Anyone can observe we have a HUGE motivation to provide a reliable service to members. In addition, we are seriously investigating options like permitting use of a 4th party for escrow, accepting credit cards on a limited basis, using a bonding service, etc.

Merry Christmas!

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just out of fun i made some logos for Afternic.com - only quick rough layout ideas so far though;you can see them here:

http://nudiva.de/afterset.gif

Of course as it's all just some ideas everything can be changed like colors ,font etc.

Should you like one of the ideas let me know and i'll work on that one then to make it look real good. :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>beatz: http://nudiva.de/afterset.gif

No bad, beatz. You might want to approach NameCheap which recently re-designed their website but definitely need a new logo. ;)

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very nice, beatz. We tried to preserve some familiarity by just updating the color scheme rather than going for a whole new concept. We might call you for the next facelift.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did the original staff of Afternic.com come with this purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom