Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Outbound transfer from Moniker.. What a pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I purchased some names that were registered at Moniker awhile back. I tried to transfer them to eNom, and they were rejected because of a registrar lock.

I logged into my Moniker account, found the "lock" section, and unlocked the domains in question. I then attempted another transfer. They were again rejected. I repeated this three more times (5 times total).

Finally, I got mad and called Moniker. They told me that they were "a high security registrar" and that all domain names are automatically put on registrar hold status to prevent any transfers. When I asked why you could unlock a name, but still not have it transfer out, they did not have an answer.

I finally asked the guy what I had to do to get the name unlocked. He said that I had to send an email to "upper management", request the names that I wanted to transfer, and get this "provide a reason why I wanted to do an outbound transfer."

Geez...

-Bob

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob
I purchased some names that were registered at Moniker awhile back. I tried to transfer them to eNom, and they were rejected because of a registrar lock.

I logged into my Moniker account, found the "lock" section, and unlocked the domains in question. I then attempted another transfer. They were again rejected. I repeated this three more times (5 times total).

Finally, I got mad and called Moniker. They told me that they were "a high security registrar" and that all domain names are automatically put on registrar hold status to prevent any transfers. When I asked why you could unlock a name, but still not have it transfer out, they did not have an answer.

I finally asked the guy what I had to do to get the name unlocked. He said that I had to send an email to "upper management", request the names that I wanted to transfer, and get this "provide a reason why I wanted to do an outbound transfer."

Geez...

-Bob

Bob I had nothing but trouble from those screw balls last year when they were another company..they put up every roadblock they could to prevent names from transfering out..

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bob - You might want to write Monte at [email protected] and explain this - I am sure he can work it out for you - Best of luck - Steve

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am still not sure how to get my names out of totalnic.net

I think they are much worse.

I find Joker a trouble as well : (

It is very annoying.

But if I had sex.com, I would store it @ total nic. Its hard for the OWNER to transfer it, let alone a hijacker : )

This kind of reminds me of those hosts who think they are good at "marketing" by having thier name as admin contact/owner so the name cant go anywhere (should they want to switch hsoting).

Not as bad as those scummy hosts though : )

aguss

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Get everything on the paper and you will still win your name back even if your name is hijacked...
Just like MJ.com and sex.com...

cheers
agus s

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have just transferred a domain away from moniker.com and same situation happened to me, and the worse was when they finally sent you a transfer confirmation email with a confirmation link, told you must click the link to validate the transfer request, and then you found the link DID NOT WORK BUT SHOWING AN ERROR MESSAGE!!
Though they finally approve the transfer manually after I send my complaint again, what an experience to keep people away from them :rolleyes:

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The same happened with me at Moniker as well. They told me if you have more than one name in your account, an email is required for transfers and pushes. If you have only one name in your account than a email is not required. Very Weird

TotalNic is a joke too. For some reason I have a seperate user id for each piece of contact info. For example, admin contact is one user id, billing contact is another user id, tech is another user id, this is all for one domain name. I just did an ownership transfer of my last name their, the ownership push only works with the admin user id, not the other ones. This took a phone call to figure out. Glad to be done with them.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Steen
I am still not sure how to get my names out of totalnic.net

I think they are much worse.

I find Joker a trouble as well : (

It is very annoying.

But if I had sex.com, I would store it @ total nic. Its hard for the OWNER to transfer it, let alone a hijacker : )

This kind of reminds me of those hosts who think they are good at "marketing" by having thier name as admin contact/owner so the name cant go anywhere (should they want to switch hsoting).

Not as bad as those scummy hosts though : )

If you purchased your TotalNIC names via Snapnames, they have illegally changed their no-transfer period from 60 days to 150 days, and even then have to obtain 'special permission from management' to get your name unlocked! I obtained a letter from Snapnames verifying that my obligation to stay with them is 60 days, not 150, and they have ignored my request. I'm giving them 1 last shot before I file formal complaints and visit a lawyer.

DO NOT USE TOTALNIC... you have been warned.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by URLCollection
Bob - You might want to write Monte at [email protected] and explain this - I am sure he can work it out for you - Best of luck - Steve

I agree with Steve. Monte (CEO and Founder) has almost always responded immediately in every instance of my sending him an email. Plus problems and questions were remedied and answered, respectively, in a very short period of time.

FYI: Because of this "high security" feature not one name has ever been illegally transferred away from moniker! Which reminds me. Just a few weeks ago, I received two transfer authorization requests on two domains I own. (One request came from Tucows and the other from Network Solutions.) Two different requests from two different registrars on two different names for two different parties within days of each other. Naturally, I declined/cancelled both of them. But these attempts are being made! And I'd much rather go through the extra bother of confirming then have to go through the arduous process of trying to recover a stolen domain!

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JuniperPark

If you purchased your TotalNIC names via Snapnames, they have illegally changed their no-transfer period from 60 days to 150 days, and even then have to obtain 'special permission from management' to get your name unlocked! I obtained a letter from Snapnames verifying that my obligation to stay with them is 60 days, not 150, and they have ignored my request. I'm giving them 1 last shot before I file formal complaints and visit a lawyer.

DO NOT USE TOTALNIC... you have been warned.

Ahh thats why.... : )

I got the name through snap...

And I'd much rather go through the extra bother of confirming then have to go through the arduous process of trying to recover a stolen domain!

And waht if you couldnt transfer out your OWN DOMAIN, even if you wanted to!?!!?!

Reaction score
Hello Bob & All,

I was reluctant to respond to this post given the fact that I am the one that implemented Moniker's transfer out policy and personally review every domain requested for transfer. However, since so many of our customers have informed me about this post and they strongly suggested that I respond personally - so here it goes.

Having been a Premier reseller for NSI, ItsYourDomain.com, godaddy, BulkRegister, Register.com, TuCows, eNom and a few others, we instituted a transfer policy that the super majority of our customers love - highest in security. I personally know that someone can hijack a domain out of each of these other systems even if your domains are locked at the registry. In addition, having owned as many as 20K+ domains at one time, I understand as much as anyone both the hassle and the benefits of various methodologies of moving names across registrars.

Given the expediential increases in domain theft today, we require a two step process to transfer domains away from Moniker.com because our registrar is the only registrar that locks domains both at the registry and at the registrar level. First you must unlock your domain then you must notify us of the transfer out request. You see, I personally review every transfer out request and if I do not hear from our customers through email (account email on the domain) or via authorized fax, the name stays at Moniker. As stated earlier in this post and in our cover story on dnjournal.com, we have yet to loose a single domain to theft or any other reason since purchasing Moniker more than 18 months ago. No other registrar that I know of can make this claim.

I would take an extra step every day rather than loose my domains to unauthorized domain hijackers. Our corporate clients such as Disney, Miramax, NHL, and Jupiter Media, and others demand this extra security as part of corporate asset protection. Our security and service has also earned us clients such as Ultimate Search, FMA/Thunayan, DomainDeluxe, BuyDomains and many others. Those that have now used our transfer out procedures, appreciate it even though some complained at first.

In closing, I find it ironic that some of those posting negatively about this issue would scream the loudest if your names were stolen. As a matter of fact, some of you have already lost names in the past and know the time and expense it takes to get a name back.

Totalnic and many other registrars do not even have full time staff to support any issues, so expecting action on transfers is not realistic. Be very careful and selective before moving your domains around. Many registrars put on a big front but operate with skeleton crews, no processes or procedures, and no back up.

I would be very happy to assist any of you whether you are coming to Moniker.com or leaving us. Obviously it is our goal to earn business rather than loose it. I personally apologize to those that have had issue with our policies and we will continue to work hard to improve it.

Regards

Monte Cahn

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much "Monte"!

We/I ...... appreciate you for taking the time to, very thoroughly,explain the security process involved in transferring domains via Moniker.

I have only one domain there,and have previously overlooked buying domains from sellers whose names were registered there,primarily because of the hassles mentioned.

I was considering tranferring my name from Moniker,simply to save money on renewal fees. Paying only $6.95 @ Enom.

If Moniker were to offer similiar pricing for resellers,perhaps they could retain more active accounts!

Thanks again

Don

Reaction score
Don,

Any of our large domain owners and resellers will tell you that we will do what ever it takes to earn their business. We offer better pricing for large commitments and loyalty. I have many customers that pay $6.95 and even less and would be happy to assist any of you in this process.

Our change of ownership process is the very best in the industry. Having successfully sold more domains than any other company in our space (Through DomainSystems.com), we made our "push domain" feature easy to use and secure. You can change ownership in seconds and it is free to do so.

In any case, feel free to contact me about your portfolio and I will personally assist you in this. [email protected]

Thanks,

Monte

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Monte in other words you are the perfect registar for Corporate clients that sit on their domains..but not so perfect for those that buy and sell domains on a daily basis.

Thank You for clearing that up

BID

Reaction score
No,

Actually we are perfect for those that buy and sell domains all the time. Remember that we run DomainSystems.com and change ownership on domains daily. Our push domain feature is the easiest and most secure in the industry to change ownership for buyers and sellers. That is why we desinged Moniker.com around the large domain owner, corporate client, and buyer & seller customer. The majority of clients that we have (many of which participate in this forum) change ownership on their domains all the time and love the system.

Hope this is even more clear for you now.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mcahn
No,

Actually we are perfect for those that buy and sell domains all the time. Remember that we run DomainSystems.com and change ownership on domains daily. Our push domain feature is the easiest and most secure in the industry to change ownership for buyers and sellers. That is why we desinged Moniker.com around the large domain owner, corporate client, and buyer & seller customer. The majority of clients that we have (many of which participate in this forum) change ownership on their domains all the time and love the system.

Hope this is even more clear for you now.

You do the same thing at domainsystems.com..you make it a pain in the arse to get names out of their..

Thats why after at one point having 100names I quit usiig your service.

The last 10 names I had with you guys I had to sell the account..wasnt even going to mess with trying to transfer anything out...hell I even had to post a disclaimer when I posted those names for sale that it would be extremely difficult to transfer out.

Everytime I tried to transfer I would get the run around then the pressure sales to stay ..

re-read the first post by Bob, this is almost exactly the same treament I recieved.. Bob is also a well respected member, he isnt just spouting off some nonsense .. you guys are a pain to do business .

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just bought 3 domains on this forum from dloft that were at Moniker. I opened an account there and dloft was able to push them to me immediately. You can do the same for any buyer if you have names there.

At first I had reservations about the extra step involved (emailing Monte) for domains that the buyer wanted to have transferred out of Moniker. I haven't had to do any outbound transfers yet, so can't comment on that. However, after reading the current horror story in this forum about how DotcomCowboy had Secretary.com taken out of his account at Enom without his knowledge - I am starting to think that extra level of protection is a very good idea. For domains of any value I would now consider it imperative to have that kind of protection.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
I just bought 3 domains on this forum from dloft that were at Moniker. I opened an account there and dloft was able to push them to me immediately. You can do the same for any buyer if you have names there.

At first I had reservations about the extra step involved (emailing Monte) for domains that the buyer wanted to have transferred out of Moniker. However, after reading the current horror story in this forum about how DotcomCowboy had Secretary.com taken out of his account at Enom without his knowledge - I am starting to think that extra level of protection is a very good idea. For domains of any value I would now consider it imperative to have that kind of protection.

It is never imperative to have someone else detemining if it's ok for OU to transfer your own names out Duke.

That is the problem..even though they KNOW who it is they make it difficult to transfer. Please re-read Bobs post.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess you have to understand I had not one, not 2 but 3-4 times problems.each and every time I tried to transfer aname ..

Thast is not security AFTER they know it is "you" asking for the transfer..It becomes"

Well why are you moving the names"

You know we can set up your customer an account "

We'll what kind of prices do pay for registrations their" etc..

That is Not security ..it's a thinly veiled attempt to simply not lose customers using hard sell tactics..

I found it offensive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom