Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Plat. Members - Have you thought about upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Plat. Members - Have you thought about upgrading to Exclusive membership?

What do you think you will gain?

Please limit your posts to the specific question.
And, not to voice your feelings about the invite system.

In practice anyone who is already an Exclusive member should not answer the question. Because, they would be bias.

Frontline

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nope because I think its stupid that we have to pay full price while newbies could get an invitation for free from an exclusive member. Not exactly good business in my opinion.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have thought about joining simply by looking at some of the subject topics that come up. There was one about Corporations and a few others that looked interesting.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about a 24 hour trial membership? Perhaps with the ability to read and not post. Don't know if this is possible. This might swing me to do what I have only considered.
How about contests to win a free upgrade.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I created that limitation because the thread that had open discussion about the topic
was being limited by the house so it would benefit the house. And, people
that would express their honest opinion were being threatened. Under the
pretense, that they were not in a position to know.

I would like to hear what plat. members "think" are the advantages of upgrading without
them given a warning.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've considered it seriously, but the cost is certainly prohibitive. Here's my breakdown as far as I see it (values are for ME, and may not reflect other's perceived values)

Free Exclusive Invite: Value = $50 (brownie points only... more if sold on eBay, but cannot be sure they will offer free invites again)
3000 DNF$: Value = $20
4 DNF$ per post: Value = $5
Banner in signature: Value = $10
Access to Exclusive Forums: $0. (I'm not much into exclusivity. If it's important enough, it's being discussed in the Platinum forum, IMHO.)
A PM box size of 900: Value = $0 (inconvenience of downloading and clearing box periodically is inconsequential)
Custom logo: Value = $20
Free website: Value = $20 (more to others, but I'm a web developer, so not worth as much)
Dedicated web designer: Value: $0 (see above)
ShowCase Manager: Value: $30
ADSENSE PAGE tool: Value = Unknown. $20?
Domain Retriever: Value = $30
MyDomainPortfolio.com: Value = $30
Expired Domain Suite: Value = Unknown. $10?
200 most expensive PPC keywords: Value = $40

Total effective value: $285

So, as you can see, the $350 price tag is just a bit high, as far as I'm concerned.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I had the extra money I think I would upgrade, if nothing else, I would like to support this site from which I have gained valuable knowledge regarding domain names...all you folks who are griping about how little advantage it is to upgrade, think about what you have learned from even being a gold member...if you feel the knowledge you gained is worth 350.00 (I think it's much more than that) then you are already ahead of the game even with the $350.00 added cost of being an exclusive member...even if the only advantage were the exclusive forum.

subc0nci0us said:
I'm only going to use 1/3 of all this stuff (maybe less), so no use spending $350 for them..

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jazz,

You make a valid point.

However, the knowledge you and I gained was from experienced members
that were willing to share their knowledge and experience.

And, I agree with you.

Everything I know about domains, I learned here at DNF.
And, maybe, a little from the other place. :-D

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
How's that? They'd be telling you what they like about it. Platinum members can only guess what it's like. Just my 2c. :)

Make sense, I would like to hear positive and negative feedback from current exclusive members.

Em

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the value is probably there but when I think of $350 I think 50 more domains...lol I'll upgrade after I sell one of those for $350 or is that 50 more domains? I'm so confused now.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see old timer here still in platinum status, we share our knowledge and experience to this forum. We help newbies understand the basic of buy and sell of domains, tips, we answer posts without compensation. Oh I forgot I got $DNF.

I can go to Exclusive if I want it. But I want to see other old timer here to upgrade to E! Why not? Something fishy going on .. I know they have the money to upgrade the account. I guess the status of Exclusive members is just for sponsorship. Or just go to ebay to bid for invite $50.

The tools, web designs, and other benefits are already available to us long time domaineer businessman/woman. So I don't need it. That's my opinion.

Well, if they provide legal representation to Exclusive members thats another story.

My 2 cents.

Em

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my personal opinion... many on this domain forum spend way too much time posting ... and accomplishing NOTHING! This is a meeting place for many .. not a place of business ... more a sort of playground for constant learning .. and NOT taking that information and turning it into something.

You shouldn't care what level you are at... just if you are REALLY moving ahead in this business .. instead of just "playing domains".

Shaun

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fee is a business expense. That is if you consider this a business and use it as such. Tax benefits knock the cost to about $250.

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You may call me stupid, but I've upgraded. It does depend on the value that you place on things, but in my view many of the hints & tips provided by Adam are very valuable. You might even make the upgrade cost back as a result. It is horses for courses.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
I created that limitation because the thread that had open discussion about the topic
was being limited by the house so it would benefit the house. And, people
that would express their honest opinion were being threatened. Under the
pretense, that they were not in a position to know.
That is simply not true!
The thread was posted by unclewilco, who asked for comments about the benefits of the Exclusive Membership - he also later asked that his thread be kept on topic.
unclewilco said:
YEs chaps if you can keep the thread to my original question i dont want my innocent thread to turn into something its not, so if you can take it outside ;-)

ta wlco
Certain members decided to ignore his question and post comments about their pet grievances on the invite/upgrade situation, despite being asked not to do so.
No one was "threatened", the post said:-
Mr Webname said:
This thread was not about active discussion on whether the invite system is right or wrong, wilco's thread is being hijacked by those with soapboxes.
Please limit your posts to the specific question wilco asked and not to voice your feelings about the invite system.
In practice anyone who is not an Exclusive member cannot really answer the question.
How can that possibly be construed as a threat?
No limit was placed on who could answer, only a request that answers be on topic - and truthfully, how could anyone who has not upgraded know whether the upgrade is worth it to them? That is simple common sense!

Corwin

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
guess it s time for a special offer with less items but a large discount on the upgrade to exclusive account.

i would be interested that way, but as is it now i already have most item provided:
Access to daily drop lists with link numbers. (already have)
FREE Domain Retriever, MyDomainPortfolio software. (already have)
Free Advertising (10,000 page views/MO for 3 months) on our Network Sites (not interested)
Will have a complete website* with banner ads and logo done at no charge by Dnforum.com. (not interested)
* 5 pages static web site, 2 banners, 1 logo. (not interested)

the only thing that have value in my eyes is the upgrade itself, because since the creation of the exclusive account the value of the platinium decreased a lot. less and less interesting information are being exchanged in the platinium forum so i suppose they are now exchanged in the exclusive.

Anyway my point is exclusive replaced platinium but the exclusive account is overpriced.

regards

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
<<MODEDIT>> Deleted. Actnow and Wilco wanted positive comments on being a member not negatives.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[mod]
Please note the original request:-
actnow said:
Please limit your posts to the specific question.
And, not to voice your feelings about the invite system.
[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom