Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Posts archived on search engines AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate to have to create this thread once again, but it appears that our domains are appearing in search engines again. (Appraisal forum, possibly others)

RMF

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just did a test and found that the archived post that I found on google leads to ALL POSTS in the Platinum/Gold/Silver forums. You do NOT need to be registered to view them. While checking, this thread was in it, so all archives are there, even today's. This location really should be blocked, not only from search engines, but from anyone.

http://www.dnforum.com/archive/index.php/
Mods - Feel free to remove that as soon as you take care of the problem.

RMF

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nobody concerned about this?

RMF

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are awaiting further information from Management.

FMS

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned to say the least. That is why I was going back and editing allot of my posts.

If we are paying to be members then outsiders should not be able to read our posts.

Some of the money should go to non archiving of posts. If we can get enough members to agree I am sure this would change as DNF is earning money from popularity and its ruining some sales for me...especially on ebay when people search for the name in the search engines.

DNF please help us out...

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hehe yea, but editing them out doesn't really help because once it is catched... it is already too late ;(

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It bothers me as well.

A domain that several endusers are interested in is in the google results.
First result for "<domain>" is DNForum sales post showing price data.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any news from management about this yet?.

RMF

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This issue is a double-edged sword. Very few if any end-users are at the forums, by having posts on the SE's it could very well alert buyers to the names, especially end-users. That's a nice benefit.

Still another reason for indexing in the SE's is that it improves traffic to the forum. This helps both new members joining but also allows management to sell advertising space for top-dollar, which cost is based on traffic stats.

The negative is of course the sales prices and other information is then public knowledge. That is mostly a negative to resellers who are reselling or quick flips for a fast profit. They don't want the fact known to the next buyer they perhaps paid less for the name they are now selling.

But the other side of the story is that perhaps that should be public information anyway for buyers. This is fine with me since I am not a seller, only a buyer. Can you imagine buying a house with no way of finding out the previous sales prices? Of couse that would make a home appraisal impossible if no old sales data was available.

There is another domain forum (one of the top-3) where the owner has publicly stated he wants the posts archived and has done SE submitions toward that goal, which did work well at that forum, with all the posts now archived from what I can tell.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
There is another domain forum (one of the top-3) ...
C'mon, we don't have a top 3 ... :D

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Can you imagine buying a house with no way of finding out the previous sales prices? Of couse that would make a home appraisal impossible if no old sales data was available.

Yes, I have lived places where many of the sales are recorded as being for $1 and other considerations.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Might be a double-edged sword, but one side is a little sharper then the other.

There may be good things that can come from it, but I believe its more negative then anything else.

The fact is, we pay for membership on a PRIVATE forum. When the posts are archived, ANYONE can read ANY of the posts. They don't need to be members. That is a fact.

If you post a domain here with a reseller price, and then decide to look for an end user, the end user could easily find the reseller price. If you request appraisals on domains, end users see those results and may influence the purchase. If you purchase a domain from here, then try to sell it to an end user, that end user could easily find that domain here on the forums from when you bought it.

RMF

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
Might be a double-edged sword, but one side is a little sharper then the other. There may be good things that can come from it, but I believe its more negative then anything else....RMF

I feel the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

SE Indexed Posts, Pros:

1. Forum gains more members. This increases number of posts and assumes to bring more potential buyers.
2. More exposure from outside the forums ranks, especially end-users, sorely lacking at the forums.
3. Greater likelihood someone not a forum member will learn of an offereing if indexed.
4. More traffic to this website.
5. That results in more members, benefiting us all, including the owner.
6. More traffic means better stats so DCG may sell more advertising and at a higher cost.
7. The above benefits both the owner and the members as with more revenue our membership costs may be lower and also more money for website improvements and benefits.
8. Buyers want awareness of prior sales data and other important information on a name, such as old traffic claims, disputes, income, etc.
9. Old price data makes it easier to evaluate a names worth and do an appraisal.
10. That data also informs a buyer if he may be overpaying, i.e. name sold last month for $25 but offered this month for $500., etc.
11. If all old sales were kept secret, as desired by many sellers, it means Duke's DNJ domain sales reports can't be reported on, now that's a major negative, right?

Cons: Indexing Prohibited (Robots Txt file I assume):

Perhaps the only major negative is basically only a seller negative (someone doing flips in particular) but is really a buyer benefit so it is not truly a negative, by making old pricing and past knowledge on the name not easy to get. This secrecy wish is actually only a negative for sellers and something buyers should be entitled to know anyway, IMO. Again, can you imagine a home appraiser trying to do an appraisal without any sales data? LOL.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The issue is not only search engines, it's the fact that the forum is free via the archive. Guests are not supposed to see posts until they register, so having the archive readable by all is a loophole. Anyone can click archive (even guests) and read everything that is posted in the platinum lounge, which is supposed to be a private forum for platinum members. Those same posts are also being indexed by search engines.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
Yes, I have lived places where many of the sales are recorded as being for $1 and other considerations.

Are you POSITIVE about that? Are you in the US? From what I have seen living in several states (and being familiar with real estate elsewhere), thruout the nation a form is mandated at the home closing which lists the buyer/seller information and correct sales price which needs to match-up with the purchase contract price.

That form is needed for the county tax assessor to reassess correctly based on the last sales price. Normally the form needs to be signed by all parties at closing, but it's possible in some counties the escrow firm/title ins company completes the form. In addition, another form is sent to IRS with your soc sec number by the closing officer regarding the sales price, as required by the govt.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is definately a serious issue.
For at least the appraisal and sales sections of the forum.

I had stop using the appraisal for a while, then re used them because from a similar previous thread, i assumed it was taken care of.

How does keeping just those 2 sections not indexed really hurt dnf?
It is common sense that these should be 'insider' parts.

As regard to real estate, and its past prices, surely, when these prices are compared among real estate agents, the prices remain 'confidential'. You are refering i assume to market prices.
On these 2 sections (appraisal/sales) it is not market (end user prices) but reseller prices.
They should definately not be accessable by anyone.

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Are you POSITIVE about that? Are you in the US? From what I have seen living in several states (and being familiar with real estate elsewhere), thruout the nation a form is mandated at the home closing which lists the buyer/seller information and correct sales price which needs to match-up with the purchase contract price.

That form is needed for the county tax assessor to reassess correctly based on the last sales price. Normally the form needs to be signed by all parties at closing, but it's possible in some counties the escrow firm/title ins company completes the form. In addition, another form is sent to IRS with your soc sec number by the closing officer regarding the sales price, as required by the govt.

Positive, I both bought and sold a house recorded this way.

I also said I did not want to give my SSN and said I only would if a law could be shown saying I had to. That part was left blank with no further problems after that.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So whats happening with this?.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
So whats happening with this?.

Awaiting contact with the site owner, he is the only one who can decide on the direction of aspects of his site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom