Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Posts archived on search engines AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Sorry, I just don't see the problem. End users usually assume you paid $10 for the name anyway - how does it hurt if they find you paid $500? Unless you're specifically lying to them abuot the price you paid, I'm trying to find the downside here....

Finally, someone besides myself who does not understand the great need for secrecy. Anyone else?

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Sorry, I just don't see the problem. End users usually assume you paid $10 for the name anyway - how does it hurt if they find you paid $500? Unless you're specifically lying to them abuot the price you paid, I'm trying to find the downside here....

whaaaaatttt???
What does that have to do with anything?
The main point as I understand it is that If I get a domain appraised for $XXX and want to sell it for $XXXXX, and find the buyer, the post WILL hurt the sale.
Also, If I pace a reseller value on a domain for $XX on the for sale thread, and a month later ask and find a buyer willing to negotiate for $XXXX, and finds that thread, it WILL hurt the sale.

Now how the $10 assumption you say above comes into play beats me.
On the now more frequent sales I have made, I make it clear that I didnt buy a dropped domain for $10, and the client seems to know that.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:

Lets say you find a potential buyer who is interested in one of your domain names and is willing to spend $1000. Then does a quick search on google to see what sites link to that domain name. They find dnf through the search. Then they find that the average appraisal was below $50.00. Then they find that you had listed this domain name forsale at one point for $100.00. Are they going to give you the $1000 as they originally thought? PROBABLY NOT!

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WIPO, US GOV., TAXES, EX-WIVES, COMPETITORS, SPAM FARMS, SLANDER SUITS etc.

Domainers need a place where they can discuss the industry or investment strategy without being monitored by the public at large. Sure the public can buy a subscription and take part, but I like the extra step of the cost involved and the difficulty of finding this place without the continual indexing as a partial protection.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The entire Platinum Section will be blocked to the Search Engines as quickly as possible - this should start today.

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
Hey, I have a solution!
Why dont we use cryptographic software when describing domains?
so f448jsgryte.vnw would be readbale only by us?
That way we dont have to worry about indexing!
LOL! :)

How about...?
....._.........___..........................................
....|.|......./.__).........................................
..__|.|____._|.|__.___...____._..._.____....____.___..____..
./._..|.._.(_...__)._.\./.___).|.|.|....\../.___)._.\|....\.
(.(_|.|.|.|.||.|.|.|_|.|.|...|.|_|.|.|.|.|(.(__|.|_|.|.|.|.|
.\____|_|.|_||_|..\___/|_|...|____/|_|_|_(_)____)___/|_|_|_|

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't that why we pay membership fees? To have a private board? I actually encountered a problem brought up earlier in this thread. I had an inquiry on a domain, I quoted a price and waited for a reply.

The reply I got was, they had done a little " research " and found a old post from here that showed me offering the name for $150 ... why was I asking 10x that amount now? Needless to say I explained "why" but never the less lost the sale. ALL due to them being able to find old posts from here. MY thoughts are if they are members and do a search and find old posts great but there is no reason they should be finding our posts in search engines.

This is supposed to be subscription board, which means certain areas are private unless you pay the membership fee. I can understand DCG wanting to get the site out there as much as possible to increase revs but between our membershps and the tons of ads on the site he must be making good money. Thats all good and fine but if Joe schmoe can read the archives free whats the point of charging us to pay for their free content. DNF is/was one of the premier domain sites, it would be a shame to see the quality destroyed to make a few extra dollars. If we stop posting due to the indexing whats gonna be left to read. Maybe encoding posts isn't such a far fetched idea, at least in the pay areas.

my 2¢

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello - is anyone listening?

Mr Webname said:
The entire Platinum Section will be blocked to the Search Engines as quickly as possible - this should start today.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I for one am grateful and would like to thank Mr. Webname and whoemever else took this decision and helped make this a reality.

THANK YOU!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On the legal issues - I could maybe see a point, but I understand these are archived discussions, probably too late to read info about an ongoing case? Most of the actually complaints cited are already onling, so no secret there.

Appraisals? I don't see the issue. It's been pointed out many times here that they're usually WAY off the mark when it comes to final sale. As far as I know, many people making appraisals have never sold a domain name in their lives, in fact I've seen appraisals here from people who admit that. Are you all going to stop selling your used cars because the Kelly Blue Book (which IS professional and very tried to reality) is available online for free? Of course not. A better analogy would be real estate - any potential buyer can 1) Look up previous sales prices and 2) hire his own appraiser... does this stop real estate sales? NOPE. In fact real estate prices have doubled over the last few years.

Again - most end users I see ASSUME I paid $10 for it, and have never even heard the term "dropped domain". The name is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it, period. Those who are doing all kinds of research and are so concerned about what your cost was are likely to be other resellers who already have a potential buyer, and are just trying to bargain you down to get a better margin for themselves. Again, I don't care... we'll either agree on a price and a deal will be make, or I'll wait for the next buyer. Same goes with the stories about "I'm a student working on a class project", "My wife wants to start a business and has no money", "My dog ate my family", etc. etc. etc.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something just occurred to me - a lot of people here are/were Pool.com affilliates. They used their domain reselling sites to send end users to Pool (for a few $$), where we all now have to bid against them with big $$. It was (and is) the most counter-productive business move I've ever seen.

So, I'm wondering -- you guys who did this -- is this issue tied to the fact that you turned many of your customers into competitors, educated them in domain drops, and are now it's comining back to haunt you?

I'm just baffled that you all seem to be having discussions about drops with END USERS, and I'm not.... and I've sold about 600 names.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
onced they are indexed, I dont think it is possible to remove them. The block will probably apply to future posts.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the archive is still available to non-members. Including all new posts.

RMF

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
Just a reminder, the archive is still available to non-members. Including all new posts.

RMF
they are still fixing it.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about the appraisal section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom