Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Posts archived on search engines AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree... you are hurting all people who are trying to make end-user sales... if someone markets a name to end-users & then finds out you were willing to sell it for ten times less then you lose your power with the buyer.

This is going to hurt DNF by people being too scared to post anything for fear of hurting their possible future sales to end-users.

Realnames.. I honestly don't think you can comment in this thread without being biased since you apparently only buy names & don't sell them.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
....Realnames.. I honestly don't think you can comment in this thread without being biased since you apparently only buy names & don't sell them.

I tried hard to be genuine in my remarks and stand by what was said, it is the facts regardless of you being a buyer or seller. The overall benefits to everyone, buyers, sellers and forum ownership far outweighs the construed negatives and confidentiality wishes of some (not all) sellers, mostly ones doing flips and high volume sales.

P.S. As I said, mostly high volume sellers are negative. Think about all the people here who rarely manage to sell a name, sell only a few from time to time, or never sold a name (i.e. Mole), by having their post indexed in the SE's it may result in a buyer (more likely a high-paying end-user type, and probably not a domainer) who is not a forum member stumbling across the offer. That in itself is a fabulous benefit for the majority of members. I have actually got some names I found indexed in the SE's at another forum (that I rarely visit), which were found while searching for similar names. Did not end up buying from the post as I saw the post late and after they expired, and got them for a reg fee.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Negative! Many reasons, but I don't want to list as they will show up in the index.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
......biased since you apparently only buy names & don't sell them.

Not really correct, as when I am ready to announce my big package sale later in the year of developed websites and redirect domains, I prefer my offer gets fully indexed in the search engines (and everywhere else) for best possible exposure to investors and end-users. It's not likely there are many buyers here looking to spend more than 10 million dollars buying the portfolio!

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think people looking to buy portfolios of income earning sites type in random domains in the SE's.

There are much better places to offer up revenue generating site portfolios than on a forum.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most end-users that come to DNF after finding that the domain was discussed here is ALREADY interested in the domain.

But I'm not going to argue with you. You already know my opinion, and most people on the forum don't want our domains/posts indexed. That is a fact.

RMF

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
....most people on the forum don't want our domains/posts indexed. That is a fact. RMF

Not at all sure that statement is accurate. Member Poll results of that question would be very interesting. Lets do it but how? The issue is with those type of polls only the most adamant and vocal among us tends to vote, and the silent majority likely will not vote at all, thus greatly skewing the poll results.

Jernet

Old DNF'ef
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
Positive, I both bought and sold a house recorded this way.

I also said I did not want to give my SSN and said I only would if a law could be shown saying I had to. That part was left blank with no further problems after that.

We think alike :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
Have a poll if you want. I think most will agree that this is a bad thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're the only person in this thread that thinks its good. RMF

This is a common problem where only the vocal minority tend to post in threads (or vote in polls too). Since the most adamant are ones with an ulterior motive naturally they would post heavier in a thread, like these 2 threads. Please note the owner DCG is also silent on this issue. Just a guess on my part but I think about 90% plus of the posts here come from perhaps 10% or less of the members, that is actually quite typical.

If the silent majority posted I am sure there would be both sides of the issue posted by them. I am also sure a lot of domainers here who only sell a name occasionally (or perhaps never sell) would love the extra exposure the SE's bring to their names. Even some who are not selling likely enjoy having their comments archived on the interent, giving them a degree of notoriety and recognition.

FMS

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Selling domain names is the LEAST of my worries when it comes to indexing. The BIG picture is when threads about certain domain names (legal thread, gold or platinum talk thread). In forums such as these people discuss issues regarding some of their domains, companies, affiliates etc. I think that what some of us are trying to verbalize is the fact that our conversations are being publicized. IMHO listing domains for sale is hardly as bothersome as ones conversation in the legal thread about a domain being published for the public to read. Take for example: one has a legal issue with a domain name, and then everything is resolved. However, when one goes to sell the name, the pospective buyers who type the name in the search engine are greeted by legal talk which may scare them away.

This is only my opinion, from what I gather this is not merely a narrow issue focusing on selling domain names, but an issue of privacy to some degree.

Example: This actually happened. I discussed needing some help on one of my clients websites and mentioned the site name. When my client punched the name in the search engine they read the post. The client then approached me and wondered why I was asking for help in a public forum. It may make sense for those of us in the business, but for outsiders allot of this might as well be gibberish to them, unless it has to do with something that involves them.

**I appreciate the oppurtunity to have an open discussion with regard to this issue. Either way it works for me. I just watch what I post now and refrain from posting as much.

Hope this helps to paint a bigger picture of the issue at large :)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most "silent" members that don't post much aren't really affected, ARE THEY?. The ones that do post are affected, and I think about 90% of the members that do actively post are against this. Again, feel free to make a poll. I think you will see that you're wrong.

As for DCG, what does that have to do with it?. He's rarely here. The fact that he hasn't done anything about this yet proves that. It doesn't matter whether or not he cares about this anyways. Its the members who matter. How many members will continue to post their domains knowing that search engines will pick them up, including any posts regarding the domains?. Not many.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
....As for DCG, what does that have to do with it?. He's rarely here.....It doesn't matter whether or not he cares about this anyways.....

Since DCG is the owner I think his opinion (and decision on this) is important, especially since archiving everything likely improves the traffic, advertising revenue and overall value of his forum, just a few of the benefits.

It would also be interesting to see what Giant Domains thinks about this since he seems to have lots of authority at dnf.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
It would also be interesting to see what Giant Domains thinks about this since he seems to have lots of authority at dnf.

I see the pros and cons ... but the decision will be DCG's ... and I'm sure he will try to do what is best for the forum. He has yet to make a final decision on this issue, so it is a good idea to keep this thread going. :)

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally I think allowing SEs would be a big problem, already we have
to read jargon like galshop dot com, for what reason? extra 20% revenue?
The brightest candle burns the shortest and SEs are a constant breeze.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
Shouldn't the viewable, search engine readable archives be turned off while the decision is being made???

That's up to Chuck or Adam. Hopefully we can resolve this soon.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a solution!
Why dont we use cryptographic software when describing domains?
so f448jsgryte.vnw would be readbale only by us?
That way we dont have to worry about indexing!
LOL! :)

Another serious privacy issue:
Let say your family (i.e. wife) knows you own a certain domain. We discuss it here.
She types it in and finds the thread. She then finds your username...
does a search on that and finds all kinds of private things (like adult domains you own), comments...etc... that you would like to be kept private.
This also very much applies to the legal section, but generally, by the domain, someone can track you down, find your real name at whois, combine that with your username here, and they can 'profile' you complitely...

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see the problem. End users usually assume you paid $10 for the name anyway - how does it hurt if they find you paid $500? Unless you're specifically lying to them abuot the price you paid, I'm trying to find the downside here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom