Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Relative worth of .com, .org, .net, .biz, and .info

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also I think it's worthy to note that we don't use the "full" length version of the word for TLDs. Keep in mind we DID need a substitute for dot com. To those who say .biz was uneccessary is factually incorrect. Dot web would have been a good choice, but unfortunately it probably will never get selected.

Here is a black and white illustration of the shortened endings and their full-length counterparts:

.com--Commercial
.net--Network
.info--information
.org--organization
.mil--military
.edu---education

Why on earth would you want:

.business---business

or

.bus--business (hmmm sounds like Pus)

.biz is becoming the accepted shortened version of the word for obvious reasons. IN technical writing you generally stick to the longer version of a word so there is no misunderstandings. In BUSINESS words are shortened. Acronym's are used constantly in business as most people would feel insulted if you said out loud, "That shipment is going "Free on Board", as opposed to FOB. Everyone in .biz knows what's FOB, you don't have to explain it.

Izopodian Philosophy: Everyone perceives things a little differently then you. It should be your mission in life to give them your 20/20 vision.

Originally posted by NamePopper.com
This doesn't relate directly to domain names - but I think it has some relevance.

I've got a few young cousins and nephews - and they (and their friends) are always using the word 'biz' to describe what people do for a living. A few examples of stuff they say.....

"My dad's in the computer biz"

"My mom's in the healthcare biz"

"I want to get into the gaming biz"

"Those guys in the movie biz are rich"

And so on.....They use this word/slang all the time. It's very common for them.

Maybe an indicator of things to come with the next generation of young developers - and domain buyers? Maybe not!

I think it's interesting though - if nothing else.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
That was an interesting discussion guys :)

However, what people generally fail to point out is that .biz is much more meaningful in the b2b context. People erroneously compare .biz on the b2c platform without any thought, and sure .com will always command a premium in that area.

Actually the market will decide mole. If you take a snapshot of the current dot biz sites out there, they are mostly"b2c" (izopod now cringes having uttered a 1990's Acronym to describe everyday commerce between people).

As with all these TLD's, the market will decide who gets to stay and who will be remanded to the lower ranking TLDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom