Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Rick Latona TRAFFIC extended auction, happening or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Was suppose to start today, but yes there was issues with the live auction yesterday. So.... No updates, no information, no exposure for the extended auction? I have yet to see a list, I have yet to see a announcement, I have yet to see any type of PR for these domains. I am starting to regret submitting my names and now having them under LR's control for the next 60 days. If the auction is abandoned I would like to request for this contract to be voided.

Very sloppy so far Rick, too sloppy to be taken seriously...

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Am I correct trhat only 1 domain out of the whole extended auction has bids? That's what comes up for me sorting by number of bids

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a lot more names had bids just when it opened, but right now i am only seeing 1 as well... don't know what is going on, maybe they re-loaded the listings one more time....... go figure

silverclick

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah his online auction has pretty much been a no show ...

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a lot more names had bids just when it opened, but right now i am only seeing 1 as well... don't know what is going on, maybe they re-loaded the listings one more time....... go figure

There was some problem with the secondary auction platform ( proxibid.com ) regarding reserves.
All bidders were notified that all bids were being retracted and starting prices were changed to reflect the sellers reserves .
Hence little or no bids now .

Too many conferences / auctions landing at same time in a recession not helping either , me thinks ..

( Regards the bid retractions : it was a move to protect the sellers , which was good .... but wont sell many names ... which is bad ...)

Last edited:

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty much been a disaster all around.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It`s his first event. I`d like to see anyone here on DNF pull it off better. :)

None of us here are trying to claim we are the world's best ever domain name brokers, nor are we holding people's domain names in a 60 day hostage period and failing to produce any type of results.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
None of us here are trying to claim we are the world's best ever domain name brokers, nor are we holding people's domain names in a 60 day hostage period and failing to produce any type of results.

You know that when you submit names to such a huge event, you will have to sign an exclusivity agreement as many sales are being negotiated long after the event has ended. On the other hand, in this situation, the affected sellers should've been offered an opportunity to break out of the agreement imho.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know that when you submit names to such a huge event, you will have to sign an exclusivity agreement as many sales are being negotiated long after the event has ended. On the other hand, in this situation, the affected sellers should've been offered an opportunity to break out of the agreement imho.

Yes, I completely agree and I understand and for all the major event's this happens, but as you said, because of the performance and results of this auction, they should void these contracts.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i say at least 1 - 2 of the remaining 5 conferences in 2010 will be canceled...

what do you think? 3?? more/? less? ;)

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don' think he will cancel any... you don't step back , you step up. :yo:

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don' think he will cancel any... you don't step back , you step up. :yo:

Now that he knows what can go wrong he'll probably do everything to make up for it in the upcoming events.

The pressure's on Rick now. :)

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he should allow us to cancel the contracts for the names that don't sell to make up for numerous mistakes that happened during this auction.

Would be a sign of good faith on Rick's part.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he should allow us to cancel the contracts for the names that don't sell to make up for numerous mistakes that happened during this auction.

Would be a sign of good faith on Rick's part.

I concur

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how do you go from 1 conference in a lifetime (cctld @ nl ) which was decent, we'll give that to his credit... scored some points with that, but 6 the following year?? that is pushing it... just my2c

a lil too ambitious if you ask me, really... am i the only one who thinks so though? ...better to cancel now before its too late !

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Especially with some of the names that were accepted...

If it's a premium auction, than make it a PREMIUM auction.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Especially with some of the names that were accepted...

If it's a premium auction, than make it a PREMIUM auction.

the low quality names are mostly from their own inventory... they are always offloading the not so good names (crap) via the "daily newsletter" and all other outlets possible, including the live auctions

doh !

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It`s his first event. I`d like to see anyone here on DNF pull it off better.

I have never been to a domain auction. I do read about them though and I do go to tangible goods auctions. This seems to me to be about as bad as it gets. Back in 2000 I went to a live/internet video feed tangible goods auction and it went off without a hitch. This isn't new technology. It is also difficult to understand the, in many cases, truly absurd reserves and a few names that would better be seen in the TDNAM $9 bargain list (Atlanta.MX?). I don't know Rick Latona. I am sure that he knows domains and that alone should have made for a better auction inventory and reasonable reserves. If someone wants to open ANYTHING for $5M, you likely don't want it in your auction if you like selling stuff. Auctions are built on the logic that you want to pay $X for an item. Another person that you think knows his stuff bids $XX. Suddenly you decide, IT MUST BE GOOD, and bid $XXX and then someone who thinks you know something bids $X,XXX, etc. till its sold. No psychology gets going with high reserves. Even if something is actually worth a lot, it is rare to get a response to a really high opening bid. I have actually seen cases where there was no bid and the owner of an item just says 'drop the reserve; let's sell it!' The bid price then often goes way over what the reserve was if you have a good, responsive crowd and a very good item.

I am not a conference goer. I can't afford that. I am, like most in reality, a small player. It is also a problem that there are so many shows. The much, much bigger broadcast business has one big one, the NAB spring convention in Vegas. If you are interested in broadcasting, that is the show to go to. If there were 6 or 10 shows, they would all probably be flops and that may eventually happen here as there are only so many that can afford what in the end is probably a $2-5K investment per show before buying anything. One big show would be much better than the fragmented mess that seems to exist now.

Last edited:

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^--- i concur 100%

reserves are absolutely ridiculous at most of the auctions.... i think they forget that 90% - 95% if not more of the attendees are actual domainers / industry insiders... people who do not pay end user amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom