Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sex.co up for auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengzai

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mid - high $xx,xxx

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whomever buys this name will regret it for the rest of their lives. This will be the all-time worst buy in domaining history......whatever the price. That is assuming the buyer is legit. I wouldn't trust the .co registry with any sale. This name really is not worth much at all. It is a sucker name, and it really puts in perspective the problems with the whole .co extension.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the name is not owned by the .co registry, it was part of the grandfather rules.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whomever buys it will overpay. Whomever owns it is irrelevant. I don't trust anything that ends in .co, and that is because I believe the .co Registry is a hype machine that will fall flat on it's face. I don't trust anybody who traffics in .co's, either. They are either scammers or they are trying to sell junk to unsuspecting newbies. The names are horseshit and garbage, and they hurt the domain industry a lot more than they help. The whole premise is to profit from confusion with dotcom, so that makes it a dishonest extension at its core, and I hope everybody involved goes broke or goes to prison. The whole thing is about as dishonest as it gets. Most people are too dumb to realize that it is extensions like .co that give domainers a bad name. Domaners don't deserve any respect at all as far as I am concerned. Not until they stand up and expose frauds like .co, .mobi, .eu, and whatever else is next.

Last edited:

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.CO is a valid ccTLD. I agree that there is a lot of hype around it, but if you want to sell a service or a product it is a good thing to have this sort of hype. Not only newbies have bought .CO domains. Many oldtimers did so as well. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a fraud. Colombia has the right to their extnesion and the way the market it is up to them.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

from the early days that it was put online, I've often used the GoDaddy's x.co short-URL service

but, from several days, the x.co service does NOT work with Firefox while it works with Opera

I don't know if that happens only to me or only with the latest version of Firefox, the 3.6.13

if you use the x.co service AND Firefox, do you have experienced the same problem?

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.CO is a valid ccTLD. I agree that there is a lot of hype around it, but if you want to sell a service or a product it is a good thing to have this sort of hype. Not only newbies have bought .CO domains. Many oldtimers did so as well. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it a fraud. Colombia has the right to their extension and the way the market it is up to them.

It may be techically valid, but it is a dishonest extension. Unless you are telling me that you actually believe that the mindset of those in charge of the registry was anything other than to capitalize on the confusion with dotcom, then you must also admit that it is dishonest.

If you actually believe that it is just an honest attempt to allow Columbia to have its own ccTLD, then I cannot take you seriously after this.

Old-timers bought .co's for one reason only, and that is to profit from .com by either taking taking traffic or to sell to greater fools, including people new to domains. The whole premise of landrush auctions is slimey, and it makes it almost impossible for these extensions to ever be worth a bucket of spit, since there really cannot be any high level of end-user adoption. Why do you think the .co registry went out of there way to find a partner willing to pimp the extension (Overstock.com)? They were trying to make the extension look legitimate, and it was a marketing move only.

Would you advise a family member or someone close to you to get involved with .co? I didn't think so. It is not something to be proud of and it is not worthy of respect if you wouldn't want those you cared about to have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you actually believe that it is just an honest attempt to allow Columbia to have its own ccTLD, then I cannot take you seriously after this.

No, this isn't Columbia, a real, decent nation; it is the extension for thr Democratic Republic of the Congo, a war torn, largely miserable place.

From Wikipedia:

The Democratic Republic of the Congo was formerly, in chronological order, the Congo Free State, Belgian Congo, Congo-Léopoldville, Congo-Kinshasa, and Zaire (Zaïre in French).[1] Though it is located in the Central African UN subregion, the nation is economically and regionally affiliated with Southern Africa as a member of the Southern African Development Community (SADC).

The Second Congo War, beginning in 1998, devastated the country, involved seven foreign armies and is sometimes referred to as the "African World War".[4] Despite the signing of peace accords in 2003, fighting continues in the east of the country. In eastern Congo, the prevalence of rape and other sexual violence is described as the worst in the world.[5] The war is the world's deadliest conflict since World War II, killing 5.4 million people.[6][7]

Albeit citizens of the DRC are among the poorest in the world, having the second lowest nominal GDP per capita, the Democratic Republic of Congo is widely considered to be the richest country in the world in regards to natural resources; with untapped deposits of raw minerals estimated to be worth in excess of US$ 24 trillion [8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18]. This is the equivalent of the gross domestic product of the United States of America and Europe combined.

Good news at the end but the countrys population may never benefit. I am not sure who .CO registrations benefit in the end but they may not be people that you'd prefer to associate with.

This is NOT the new .COM!!

Last edited:

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.co is the country code top-level domain assigned to the Republic of Colombia. Congo is CD.

Never mind, there is no problem with violins. - Rosanne Rosanadanna from Saturday Night Live News in the 1970s.

Sorry for the mis-post. The extension still is generally undesirable in my hobbled opinion!

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sure the .com owner can't want the .co ?

May not want, but they may put in a claim to it after the auction to see the value of a typo.

.co to me is just squatting at its worst.

-=DCG=-

shack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mid XX,XXX

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is interesting to me that .co even exists.

With trademark law the key concept relates to confusion; if two phrases are so close that an average consumer would have confusion then you have a trademark violation.

By that thinking, .co by itself is just wrong - the .co tld creates confusion with .com. To me the .co should not exist and this is ICANN's fault. Kind of ironic that they can create .co, and all the confusion that will follow it, yet they moderate UDRP's. Someone needs to moderate ICANN.

If Jon Postel were still around, and managing the internet, I believe this would not be happening.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may be techically valid, but it is a dishonest extension. Unless you are telling me that you actually believe that the mindset of those in charge of the registry was anything other than to capitalize on the confusion with dotcom, then you must also admit that it is dishonest.

I agree, .co is no better than buying tm typos.

Eventually most will be dropped or sued.

.co is a chance for people too late to the .com game to try to get rich of other peoples traffic.

-=DCG=-

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was domainers that gave this ccTLD legs.

Nobody in the public ever heard of .co

-=DCG=-

exactly, i agree - if the genral public does know or use the extension or if major companies do not use it (at least as their main extension)...whats the point of buying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom