Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Shilling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
:-O eek, odd to be reading a topic you hadn't seen before and run across your name in it...

Actually, when I saw the thread title I started thinking about Curt Schilling...and the upcomming baseball season (Go Jays Go!)

GT, I immediately though of Curt as well!
GO SOX! (red)

Domain Days 2024

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
:-O eek, odd to be reading a topic you hadn't seen before and run across your name in it. (Go Jays Go!)
I thought I had to mention you cause you've been one of the most outspoken on the forum lately, jumping all over the pump and dump stuff by others. I agree with what you see in most part I think, and it seems some of the same people are doing both that and the shill bids related to in this thread.

Then again, Daniel, I had to laugh cause I remember some young kid that came in here (and another forum) and about drove us completely nuts with constant, unrelenting, never stop promotion of a site he wanted to sell, until somebody took it off his hands. It's rumored the purchase was just to try to shut him up. Then he builds a sister site. Sheesh! :laugh:

Oh yeah, edited to add -- GO SOX! --

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It simple if someone has made a higher offer via pm,why cant a mod confirm this ? it stops the bull***t what goes on !

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
It simple if someone has made a higher offer via pm,why cant a mod confirm this ? it stops the bull***t what goes on !

Who actually post a sale in one forum only?? I use at least 3 plus often the name is listed at sedo .. which doesn't show the bid amount .. and afternic which does show the bid amount. Unless dnforum has a exclusive sale listing rule(which I haven't seen) I will continue to do so. If you don't like the sale move on?? My 2 cents

jim

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Then again, Daniel, I had to laugh cause I remember some young kid that came in here (and another forum) and about drove us completely nuts with constant, unrelenting, never stop promotion of a site he wanted to sell, until somebody took it off his hands. It's rumored the purchase was just to try to shut him up. Then he builds a sister site. Sheesh! :laugh:

Oh yeah, edited to add -- GO SOX! --

That is true, but I never created any shill or phantom bids (although in hindsight, that may have been a good idea :charming:).

That was the only reason I found DNF...but after I sold that site I decided I liked all of you creeps too much to leave :cheeky:

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Togoodhlth said:
Well, unfortunately a LOT of people make offers via PM and if the seller is not interested in selling below a certain price they can set a minimum offer anyways.
The last site I sold here which was last week I had a high offer of $800 in the thread and received a higher offer via PM. I listed the higher offer and no one went higher so the PM buyer got it. If the site was worth more than $1500 to them they had the opportunity to pay more since I posted the higher offer.
On the other hand I could have not posted it and simply posted "sold" in the thread however someone else may have been interested in paying more in which case I am doing myself and the those who had made offers a disservice.

Also it is no ones business who buys the name. I would not share a buyers name UNLESS they asked me to.

This is why I NEVER post a bid in a thread. It's just a bad buyer practice. I hope that everyone thinks the bid I make via PM is fake and the seller is full of crap. Then I get the domain without a bidding war. We all know what's going on...if you don't then you're the tool. Removing the PM SENT is very controversial imho. It changes the dynamics a bit and might bring prices down. I can't say I mind that as a buyer but as a seller I been asking that people POST their bids or at least say "offer made".

Maybe that's the thing..PM SENT could simply be an inquiry but "OFFER MADE" of course let's us know who is interested.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
Obviously you are one of the ones who are on the scam, like you said "you will continue to do so" SCAM !

At least you have been exposed,and i wont never bid on one of your domains anymore !

So like you said " if you dont like the sale move on"

Yep i will do and hopefully others will as youve been exposed !

I stated "facts" ..accusing a forum member of being a "SCAM" just because you don't like the way they run a sale is libelous and you should be permanently banned this time

jim

EDIT:What wasn't clear to you on my recent sales thread??
http://www.dnforum.com/f5/whois-vc-whois-vc-thread-126486.html
Post or PM
BIN : USD $10,000 Time stamps of post or PM determines winner
forum listing: multi
afternic.com
sedo.com
registrar: Dotster.com
Transfer: Dotster Push
Regged through 28-Jun-2006
payment: Escrow.com w/ established members/split fees
This offer may be withdrawn at anytime for any reason.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotBIZ said:
Who actually post a sale in one forum only?? I use at least 3 plus often the name is listed at sedo .. which doesn't show the bid amount .. and afternic which does show the bid amount. Unless dnforum has a exclusive sale listing rule(which I haven't seen) I will continue to do so. If you don't like the sale move on?? My 2 cents

jim

Where do see a "SCAM"?? Are there any rules being broken?? At least I let buyers know where they stand

jim

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Again where do see a "SCAM"?? these are serious accusations that I don't see you backing up.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont get it??
Basically he is saying he posts his sales at more than 1 venue.
So if I post a site/domain for sale here and at another forum that is "shilling"?

Also if I receive an offer via PM you suggest I make it mandatory that all bidders post their offers in the thread?

I won't do that because I may be eliminating a potential buyer.

We are not talking about an auction. It is not shill bidding when someone is selling a name and receives a bid via PM. This is just part of the process.

And as I said earlier in this thread I still post the offer I received via PM for the benefit of the other potential buyers as well as myself. If I receive a higher offer via PM I am hoping someone else feels it is worth more. If not the buyer who PMed me gets it.

I also agree that removing the "PM sent" option may make it seem as though the seller is faking the higher bid but if the seller is faking it then he or she could lose out on a potential sale. So it may be counter productive.
A good example of this again is my last sale here. I sold it via PM. Before selling it the highest offer was here at DNF and I posted that offer at another forum where I had my listing. At the other forum I received an even higher offer, again via PM and came back and posted it here.
In the end it sold here via PM.
So if some cynical people felt I was lying it was their mistake.

In the end those who want the site/domain and have the $$$ will more than likely end up with the site/domain.

I think I am going to take labroccas idea and tell bidders to post "Offer made" or something to that effect so people at least know someone has made an offer although this may have everyone PMing offers as opposed to posting them in the thread.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's a garbage domain and the seller says they all of sudden have a bid that's $1000s above your bid, then let the name go.

If you're dealing with high quality domains, then you have to know what *YOU ARE* going to pay. If the seller goes beyond your price, then wish them good luck. Why do some people let their purchase price be controlled by others? That's a sure way to stray from your business plan.

Unless a seller is selling at a fixed price a sale is a negotiation! If you don't like the price the seller is asking or the offer the seller says he or she received, you have every right to break it off before you agree to a price.

High quality generic domains do attract a lot of interest in a very short amount of time. I have often had dozens of questions and offers within 1 or 2 days and some of them arrive via PM even if I've asked to post offers to the thread only.

Some buyers will never post their offers in public! The conclusion here is use your common sense and take responsability for yourself. Don't blame others for your own actions. You are the one after all who decides whether to purchase or not to purchase a domain.

That's not to say scammers aren't a drain on everyone, it's only to say that being careful and skeptical is one of the best ways to avoid being scammed.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BritishBullDog you are blowing smoke and it makes you look bad imho. You shouldn't say something is a SCAM without any proof. The bidding system is not perfect but it works well and I think the scams are minimal and normally obvious. It's not a good thing that you are calling a long time member a scammer without any regard to the facts. I suggest you apologize and edit your posts. It would be the nice thing to do. You are getting yourself all worked up over nothing. Either discuss like a professional or have your reputation diminished.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all those who have supported me in this thread via email privately !

Thread closed !

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr. Deleted said:
dnf does not accept multi-forum auctions.

Yes but we are talking about sales in general.
Auctions would definitely be a different story.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Togoodhlth said:
Yes but we are talking about sales in general.
Auctions would definitely be a different story.

Some members who even post them as sales and not auctions still try to ease it in as an auction in some ways..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom