Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

So will you do Business with an unverified DNF member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xnx said:
Je I would never do business with a guy that owns.tv names hahahaha (.tv sucks)

Before others comment that is a private joke between Je and I

Haaaaa ... True, I think I will use that for additional verification ... If the seller owns .tv names, I will not do business with them.

Domain Days 2024

DNportfolio

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think verification is a good idea, especially for people who are new to DNF. It's a lot like eBay; you make some deals and get feedback. The more feedback you have and the higher the percentage of good feedback, the easier it is for everyone else to trust that you'll pay/deliver.

Speaking of trust and eBay... I only have one itrade here. If anyone wants to check on my reputation before dealing with me, I can always refer them to my eBay feedback page.

Back to the question... just being "verified" will not instill complete trust, but it may help someone start out. The only way to trust who you're doing business with is to know what others have experienced, and the length of time the person has been establishing their reputation.

My short answer: yes and no.

weeps

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having a verification system in place that can be easily cheated (someone steals a paypal account and sends 5$ to dnforum) doesn't really serve a purpose.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
I won't be getting verified. I was under the assumption this was going to be done with exclusive memberships but that never happened. Scammers are openly scamming on the boards on noone is taking the initiative to do anything about them why pay more to see the same ole thing?

Are you serious?

So everyone should just sit back and do nothing to try to curb this 'Scamming'?

-=DCG=-

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Curbing the scamming would be canceling those scammers accounts and not letting them continue. If a person is going to pull a scam they have probably already created or stolen a verified paypal account under whatever assumed name and they can easily copy and paste whatever info into a bill. Some blatently pull the scams under what I assume is their real name because quite frankly what can be done about it anyway?

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I decide with whom I want to do deal. Would I do business with myself not being verified? Yes.

Still from my point of view there is more to the reliabilty of any person than just an address. Surely I would rather deal with those unverified members having a higher iTrader or who have been members for a longer time than those being "relatively" new but verified.

So, my answer too is : Yes and No

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would expect mostl of you to deal with both.

Just keep in mind, I can't provide more than and ip and email if you have an issue with a non verified member.

I can also tell you as the awareness and the market grows, so will issues. We as a community need to be proactive in limiting the issues.

This process may evolve as time grows, but in the end my goal is to make buying and selling domains a more secure process for all of us.

-=DCG=-

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally, if someone seems sketchy.. I'm more likely to go through with a transaction if you know that they have confirmed their address with DNF.

I'm not in a situation now where I can get verified, but when I get a chance, I think I'll probably do it so that people who don't know me can feel safer.

DNForum-News

Level 5
Reaction score
That's a great point that DNF has been trying to get across. There are many people that sign up on this forum daily, and that don't know you personally or that you dont know persoanlly. Wouldn't it make you feel better to know that they have been verified went through the trouble of sending us information and we have legit info on file that can potentially help you in the future. I just don't understand some peoples logic? As DCG mentioned in previous thread/post, also reputation will come in effect when making this decision about someone becoming verifed.
If this was a $100 fee or a monthly cost then I could possibly understand the contreversy, all DNF is trying to do, is protect you in the best way we can without being intrusive, and still with some there seems to be an issue and they are making it seem that DNF is asking them to send viles of bloos for DNA testing to prove they are who they say they are.......things that make you go hmmmm.....

-Susan

Jonathan said:
Personally, if someone seems sketchy.. I'm more likely to go through with a transaction if you know that they have confirmed their address with DNF.

I'm not in a situation now where I can get verified, but when I get a chance, I think I'll probably do it so that people who don't know me can feel safer.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My problem is that there seems to be all of this concern but when it comes down to canceling a scammers account nothing gets done. If a scammer is going to go through the trouble of paying the platinum fee to pull a scam I don't think one minor additional hoop to jump through is going to stop them.

I called one out just last week and the user has just changed his/her username and still going about business. There's one on the first page of the sales page now.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its easy and I will become verified by tonight..

NameMogul, why dont you just name a couple of the scammers if they're still on here openly scamming.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll say my peace again. Most people that have been scammed have been taken because of PayPal. Stop using paypal damnit.

Use escrow, or for decent sized purchases use a lawyer to conduct the sale. The issue is that people want to do things on the cheap, and not in a safe and professional manner. In business, companies don't mind paying for things like lawyers fees because that is how they protect themselves.

Get a merchant account if you want to take credit cards.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
My problem is that there seems to be all of this concern but when it comes down to canceling a scammers account nothing gets done. If a scammer is going to go through the trouble of paying the platinum fee to pull a scam I don't think one minor additional hoop to jump through is going to stop them.

I called one out just last week and the user has just changed his/her username and still going about business. There's one on the first page of the sales page now.

PM me them for the good of the community and lets get them out of our house.

Limit$ banned tonight already for trying to pull one on another member.

-=DCG=-

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SouthernTn said:
NameMogul, why dont you just name a couple of the scammers if they're still on here openly scamming.

I already did and nothing was done. My trail is easy to follow. The first page of sales threads is still there. The user I'm referring to is still here and has been for months. In fact there have been a rash of them since December. Not sure why, mabey the same person or group?

Pm sent DCG. BTW, I have screenshots on the false stats provided on the one I called out.

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Limit$ was trying to scam weeks ago, claiming his domain was making $24 per day yet it had no content and was 3 days old. Then he tried to get a quote from DNForum to develop the name. I assume the quote was too high as he tried to sell it again.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMogul.com said:
I already did and nothing was done. My trail is easy to follow. The first page of sales threads is still there. The user I'm referring to is still here and has been for months. In fact there have been a rash of them since December. Not sure why, mabey the same person or group?

Pm sent DCG. BTW, I have screenshots on the false stats provided on the one I called out.

Thanks for standing up for the forum, PM sent.

-=DCG=-

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NP, never intended to undermine the initiative. Scammers will think long and hard before paying $50 to try and pull a scam if the word gets out they're membership can be lost as easy as it was obtained.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Utility bills can be forged but as one method is okay
What about the $5 paying for DNF to snail mail us a code to fax along with our username, Unless I am missing something.

A scammer could EASILY forge a utility bill and use a public fax machine such as a library, with a hacked paypal account.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will continue to consider doing business with unverified members.

I think it will be hard for me to get verified, as PayPal prohibits/punishes access to paypal from Peruvian IPs and 2CO.com has always rejected my attempts to make online payments in the past, presumably connected to my Peruvian location too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom