Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond
Status
Not open for further replies.

uclaboyz

TopCars.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bought a domain from tdnam's closeout and previous owner contacted me wondering how I got it. He backordered it at Godaddy as well, but I guess the domain was never dropped.

I'm just wondering why wouldn't he just sign up for tdnam and buy it back and avoid paying $100 that Godaddy charges after grace period(?)

Where does tdnam play in the expiration process (after redemption period, maybe?)

Thanks,
Steve

Domain Days 2024

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The former owner is likely unaware of how the whole thing works. My bet is the name went into redemption and was not in his account (he couldn't see it there) so he assumed or was told he can backorder the name. If he was told that, it was wrong. he could have still redeemed it for a larger fee. . . and maybe he was told "you can pay the $85 redemption or backorder the name for $19 (I dont know how much it is) . . . He chose the cheaper method . . . So the name went to auction after redemption, never really expiring and he didn't know it was on tdnam.

I bet this happens hundreds of times a day. I've bought hundreds of names on tdnam and get emails all the time from former owners who are confused how I got "their name".

The backorder on godaddy as far as I know is for dropped domains and rarely is successful . It's never successful if the name doesn't expire/delete :)

uclaboyz

TopCars.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cool, that confirms my thinking of how it all went down. I never realized how much goddamn money Godaddy/tdnam is making off these expired domains without domain ex-owner's knowledge... all for a measly $8 or so domain registration fee.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cool, that confirms my thinking of how it all went down. I never realized how much goddamn money Godaddy/tdnam is making off these expired domains without domain ex-owner's knowledge... all for a measly $8 or so domain registration fee.

All aftermarkets / drop-catch services do. Register it for a reg fee then instantly turn around and sell it for $60. But, isn't the point of any non-nonprofit / not for profit (well, even those) entity to make money? :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom