Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

The Future Of The .CC ccTLD? Your Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckNights

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a few 3 letter .cc's when i regd them there wasnt many left.. I've noticed that over the last month or so that .cc's are going fast.
Does anybody else see this trend.. Also what do you think about the future of this extention? Is is Garbage like many say or will it turn out to be a good investment for many?
Let me know your opinions..
thanks

BCP.cc | ADG.cc | GND.cc | RSP.cc

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
to be honest, I don't see any value in those domain. It is highly unlikely that they get type in traffic.

ZeRohiLL

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree it isn't the greatest ccTLD unless it's used for vanity reasons, i.e. .cc - credit card - still don't do it much justice.

The Cocos Islands is more of a vacation spot than a country, with only an estimated 628 or so residents. Yes - 628 (six hundred & twenty eight).

I'm not certain they have a hard-wired internet infrastructure, maybe only mobile.

-Zh

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your domain RSP.cc probably is worth a bit.
CC could be like credit cards but like all the other est that just came out...less people use it.
Too much ext = too much premium domains = worthless
its only worth something if people start reging it and going on sites with .cc

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.CC will always decline in value as more gTLDs are launched and prices of other TLDs decrease, as it's popularity with established sites using it is steadily declining. The only one I know remember is cdcovers.cc. Most users are totally unfamiliar with it. You might as well get a .bb or .gg (although to some extent that's self interested as I own u.bb)

theoretical

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I always felt that cc was great for notification services as well - like cc'ing (carbon copying) an email. It really depends on the name. A crap name will make an even worse .cc but you can work a cc if the name fits.
-Andrew

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of strong one-word keywords dropping in .cc, so it seems to be getting weaker rather than stronger in domainers' eyes.

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All it will take is 're-branding' of .CC as .CarbonCredits to make a move into a mainstream extension.

A honorable endeavor for some young enterprising domainer/entrepreneur!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that over the last month or so that .cc's are going fast.
Can you explain what you mean by that ?

I always felt that cc was great for notification services as well - like cc'ing (carbon copying) an email.
It's also been used for 'credit card'.
Problem is, any TLD can be rebranded into something else, .ws being a similar example. But it takes a mental twist to equate .ws with 'website'.
.tv is probably the only ccTLD that has been somewhat successful at this game.

As for .cc there is no local market so it can only be a vanity TLD. As such it weighs little among the 200+ sibling ccTLDs.
The Internet veterans may remember that it's been around for a long time - I think we are talking about the mid-1990s. Clearly it has not followed the dotcom growth curve. IMO, dont bother with exotic TLDs.

theoretical

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the topic, but I don't understand the leap some of you have made from "doesn't get type in traffic" to "doesn't have any inherent value". It seems to completely ignore the keyword and brandability factors.

If a startup website for, say, selling umbrellas, is able to get umbrellas.cc for a 150 dollars versus 3k for the .info or 10k for the .net or 100k (or more) for the .com. well, there's still inherent value in the .cc. It's keyword specific for search engines, it's more trustworthy, easier to type and easier to remember then MyUmbrellaShop.com or whatever $150 can buy you in a .com. Granted it's a fraction of the .com, and it's ability to increase in value may not be as high, but it's still worth *something*.

Okay, okay, so for someone not interested in development, it's inherent value is certainly less because of the environment where new tld's are being introduced all the time. But for someone developing a site, it still has a significant value (yes, prior to development) and can be obtained for a reasonable price. I think that means that there should be room in the domain industry for .cc

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not to derail the topic, but I don't understand the leap some of you have made from "doesn't get type in traffic" to "doesn't have any inherent value". It seems to completely ignore the keyword and brandability factors.
Yes, that's true of course.

There are three lines of discussion here.

1) .cc's aren't doing well right now as a domainer investment for flipping to other domainers. Thumbs down on that plan.

2) If you want to set up a site, good keywords are out there waiting to be grabbed. Thumbs up on that one. ( I have only one semi-developed .cc, but it's a strong one-word keyword that I could never afford in .com or .net.)

3) Now comes the key question: is it worth buying them in the hope of selling them to end users? The keyword/brandability argument applies here, but so does the fact that end users won't know what a .cc is and may steer clear of the unknown.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If all you're concerned with is the keyword, then you have plenty of TLDs available, even a free .tk :)
.cc is a bit more mainstream than other exotic extensions but it's not that special.

The Future Of The .CC ccTLD ? No future... :)

Kruwreka

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have two LLL.cc and one NNN.cc and all I own purely for vanity reasons.

No one has mentioned the price of registration. Once in a while I see a keyword domain I would pick up but just can't justify the cost.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good point Kruwreka. They are more expensive than .com etc.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, very poor domain extension

however the odd geenric and brandable does ok, very rarely

sure i saw on dnjournal sales thiw week 'wow.cc' selling for a high sum, may have been another also

theoretical

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow.cc was $3k and goal.cc was $1.3k and change. I picked up kicks.cc for like $10 bucks when it dropped on godaddy with a 20 buck reg fee.. that's 30 dollars for a nice keyword that I would have paid significantly more for in other extensions. An extra 10 bucks or whatever for reg fees a year isn't going to kill me. Just pick the names carefully.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Examples of .cc's available now at TDNAM for $5 plus renewal fee:

OliveOil
Augusta
Proposals
Submit

Imagine what you'd pay for them in one of the top TLDs ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom