Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The newest eBay Scam to avoid fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
In addition to the ludicrous and outrageous scam of adding $15 transfer fee to domain names, people have come up with another method to circumvent the eBay fee system.

Is it just me, or has this happened to other people? It has happened to me 4 times now in the last 6 weeks.

Since eBay raised their reserve price fee to 1% of the reserve value (or $100 maximum), people are listing names with low starting bids and then pulling them if the name does not reach what they consider a fair value. This is really irritating. They cancel all the bids and say "Item no longer available".

I bid on one auction where the seller blatantly said in the auction description "If the bidding does not reach XXXX, then I will cancel all of the bids and remove the auction".

This is a FLAGRANT violation and playing of the system designed to cheat the system out of money.

I will stop here because I have nothing good to say about these people. One was a respected member of our community, for whom I have lost ALL RESPECT.

Has this happened to anybody else?

-Bob

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Bob,

I share you sentiments. I have gone as far as filing a complaint with ebay, but they didn't do a damn thing about it. I also contact the seller. He came back at me with "I can do what I want." I let him know I reported him, he said mind my own business, I said I was, you canceled my bid illegally.

There are many bad guys on ebay that are scum. These are the ones giving us honest domainers a bad name. I surpirsed that a shrewd lawyer doesn't watch teh board for all of the cybersquatting of names being sold. It could be a good business.

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please tell us who it is! :)

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob

I will stop here because I have nothing good to say about these people. One was a respected member of our community, for whom I have lost ALL RESPECT.

-Bob

If its as you described in some cases plainly stated that there is a manual controlled reserve--then why feel so outraged for yourself?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by lotsofissues

If its as you described in some cases plainly stated that there is a manual controlled reserve--then why feel so outraged for yourself?

Because they are cheating the system. It is not fair to honest people like myself who abide by the rules and pay the money to have a high reserve price.

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by lotsofissues
Please tell us who it is! :)

No.

They know who they are. They have an auction up now with no reserve. I will be watching it to see if they do it again.

-Bob

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You still have to pay the fees if you end the auction early so theres no benefit to the seller other than keeping the buyers from sniping.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, at least they still have to pay the listing fees. So they are wasting money there.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol,

totally agree with bob.

I love eBay and it brings so much to people. this is horrible. And ebya didnt act on it? Well they (imo) are great with problems on thier own site. Suprises me they didnt act.

I admire your willingness to keep this private sa I would be very mad if i saw this alot.

I am curios, but I think I know ho you are talking about.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bob
In addition to the ludicrous and outrageous scam of adding $15 transfer fee to domain names, people have come up with another method to circumvent the eBay fee system.

Is it just me, or has this happened to other people? It has happened to me 4 times now in the last 6 weeks.

Since eBay raised their reserve price fee to 1% of the reserve value (or $100 maximum), people are listing names with low starting bids and then pulling them if the name does not reach what they consider a fair value. This is really irritating. They cancel all the bids and say "Item no longer available".

I bid on one auction where the seller blatantly said in the auction description "If the bidding does not reach XXXX, then I will cancel all of the bids and remove the auction".

This is a FLAGRANT violation and playing of the system designed to cheat the system out of money.

Has this happened to anybody else?

-Bob

I don't agree with you.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. I don't have to sell a name for $25 if I think the market value is $500.
2. There is no binding contract that I have to sell it.

SAF

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
guess we know who it is.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you think the market value is $500 then you need to place a $500 EBAY reserve on your auction. I pay the fees, Bob pays the fees, you should pay the fees.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the seller cancels the auction by deleting valid bids of a no reserve auction. The seller is not paying the reserve listing fees and is not penalized while HONEST bidders are screwed. That is screwing the system.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
exactly DNQuest. They end up paying only the listing fee of a measly couple of bucks.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not a couple actually. It is more than 20 bucks. How much do you pay if you make $25 bid and the seller cancels the bids.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's a couple bucks for a no reserve auction which is what you are doing. You are cheating Ebay out of it's fees.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much do you pay for a no reserve auction if it is cancelled and if you make a bid of $25? Stop making stand-by show? Tell me the exact number!

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your question but I will try and answer. If there is a no reserve auction and I bid $25 and you remove my bid and close the auction then I don't pay anything since I didn't win. If this is what you mean then it was a very stupid question because I am not getting a domain name that I wanted and bid on. You are a cheater, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom