Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

The newest eBay Scam to avoid fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

_Yakov_

Well, Bob, the fact that you hold BaskinRobins.com or whatever the mispell is, is also unfair, unlawful and unethnical not to mention that it's unconstitutional and undemocratic.
However it doesn't mean that I have to go now and say that I'm sick and tired of cybersquatters and another cybersquatter I see will be hated till the end of my life....
By borning in the US you have entered the agreement to fallow all federal and local regulation that you are now violating... lol Bob, shame on you... :)

It's all ok, and there is always "Ask seller a question" link that you can use to initiate a debate with the seller on the topic how bad the seller is, but I wouldn't recommend to bother sending anthrax to the mailing address specified for the winner's payment.

:swg:

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my 2c ..I agree with Yakov on this.. we all understand that know one in there right mind is Really going to let REALLY decent names go cheap on Ebay.

I just look at it as a fact of doing business..

Listen I had MILLI0NARE.COM on Yahoo nearly 2 years ago, I sold it for $40 , a few days later the buyer calls me complaining because the name was Milli0nare.com and Not Millionare.com (zero instead of an o).

The add CLEARLY stated that it was a zero and not an "o" .

So here this bonehead is calling me because I didnt really sell him Millionare.com ..in other words he didnt really get to screw me like he thought he did .. And I was the Jackass because I didnt let him F me over :laugh:

I understand Ebays rules, the regulations etc.. I also understand that common sense ought to rule.. you are not going to get premiunm names on ebay for nothing.. it's a rare event..

to blame that on people trying to save a few bucks by by passing Ebays reserve pricing .. is unreasonable..it is true Bob(that that activity is going on all over at ebay)..I just feel it is unreasonable to A:) seriously think ebay has the resources to handle all of those types of complaints and B:) unreasonable to expect to actually get a decent name on ebay without "really" paying for it.

I do understand your anger and frustration though...

And I personally would never list a name without selling for what I advertise, and I do thihnk you have a right to simply not do business with people you know that do business that way.

But for calling on SirAlex to be banned here because of pulling names on ebay is harsh..

I do think we should ban him though for always going into this poor me from Turkey , you all hate because I am from turkey you damn american rountine everytime he gets in an arguement though :D :laugh:

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by _Yakov_

It's all ok, and there is always "Ask seller a question" link that you can use to initiate a debate with the seller on the topic how bad the seller is, but I wouldn't recommend to bother sending anthrax to the mailing address specified for the winner's payment.

:swg:

:laugh:

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
But for calling on SirAlex to be banned here because of pulling names on ebay is harsh..

I agree with this and never advocated he be banned. Yes, it is going too far.

I do think we should ban him though for always going into this poor me from Turkey , you all hate because I am from turkey you damn american rountine everytime he gets in an arguement though :D :laugh:

:laugh:

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a buyer on ebay, I've also had this happen to me when the seller pulled the name in the last 60 seconds of the auction. I was pissed and I even was going to pay several hundred dollars for the domain. I emailed the seller and I "jumps" all over him for it but really nothing I could do or make ebay do. I find that ebay has a lot of rules but after complaining to them and then getting them to enforce them is quite hard to do. But anyone who does this is definitely breaking the rules, just as the $15 transfer fee is breaking the rules when you have to pay nothing to transfer the name.

In a nutshell, the market sets the price. Just because the seller thinks its worth more doesn't mean it really is. God knows we see this here so very very very much.

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why get yourselves all worked up?

Whats the point?

I think part of the problem is that Ebay...charges a fortune for the reserve fee so people have to resort to this tactic. I am not advocating it, but I could understand it .... I would like to list a bunch of names on ebay with reserves but they charge ludicrous amounts for reserves ( whether you sell or not ).

There lies the problem...THEY CHARGE WHETHER THE NAME IS SOLD OR NOT.... I am not opposed to paying a listing fee ... that is completely inline.

But in part, ebay is preying on sellers that either have high hopes for a name or have a name that is worth bigger money by charging 1% (on top of all their other addons) sold or unsold. If the name sells..it makes perfect sense to charge the full reserve rate ... BUT ... if the name goes unsold and has a high reserve ( for instance $3k...thats a $30 fee ) why is it that no one has a problem with that? Its not like it takes any extra effort on ebay's part to select that reserve feature.

What they are doing is wrong and they are taking advantage of their market position of being one of the only mass exposure games in town to resellers and endusers. ( domain sites excluded ) .

Now you may argue that if people didn't over priced their names then it wouldn't be an issue. ( its not for us to tell someone what to charge for their name...if you don't like the price don't buy it :) ) But I think that the attitude here goes beyond the ethics of avoiding the reserve fee ... I think it in part stems from people being upset that they were not able to "steal" name for below its value.

If Ebay wasn't so greedy in there reserve pricing structure...people wouldn't feel the need to do what they are doing to prevent giving away a name. ( Once again not saying its cool to cancel out auctions...but I can understand it. I think Bidawinners example was key... people want something for nothing and get upset when they can't get it. ) I expect the response that if you can't play by the rules then don't play.

Ebay...has made me a very limited user due to their fee structure...I want to post with a reserve and am happy to pay modest fees if item doesn't sell and the percentage/fee if it does. But for them to charge the full 1 percent for non sale is insane and greedy ... not too mentions its cutting the amount of names being listed ... I saw the same attitude at the corp I worked at, they didn't care about the long run ... it was a get the money now attitude, worry about later.....later. Needless to say that business model doesn't work for very long, people don't like getting extorted or getting a lesser quality product while paying a higher rate.

Btw....in regards to $15 handling fee people put on their auctions...the easy way to deal with that is just don't bid on the name...no one is forcing you too. They aren't hiding that charge ... its there in plain view ... and this has been going on for quite a while ... it seems Ebay doesn't care or aren't addressing it ... why should you? Unless you expect to get names for $1. I would rather drop them than sell for a buck...but hey thats just me.

OOo I c you want something for nothing :)

The bottom line is don't go into this game thinking that you will get something for nothing...those days are over.

my 2¢ ( no reserve fee )

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry..not sure why it posted twice....Mods please delete one of these posts :)

Thanks

Ira

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by izoot
Sorry..not sure why it posted twice....Mods please delete one of these posts :)

Thanks

Ira

Done :)

-Bob

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very good post zoot, I have to agree with you on every single thing you said - I also understand why people do it.....

In the end it all comes down to principles

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have allot to say but think I should keep my mouth shut. I wouldnt be in favour of the many who I have seen list items on ebay and cancle em.

I can understand why they do it, but its not playing by the rules.

If you dont like ebay (and thier rules) DONT LIST THERE. Dont go and SCAM them.

About the $15 transfer fee, that I agree with. Too many want something for nothing. You see powersellers list all sorts of stuff for SUPER cheap with high shipping. Same sort of thing.
Like those chess boards, $1.99 but $17.99 shipping.

I must honour SAF about letting Sussex.org go for SO cheap. I was too STUPID to check back in time (although I did have a snipe service on it). Dam I missed out on it... I would have paid $300, but thats off topic.

And another off topic thing, if anyone here does this, please STOP IT!

Please see actions such as:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2738524563&category=11153

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2738368248&category=11153

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2739039282&category=11153

For examples. STOP SPAMMING! lol:D

Well, I had to open my mouth a lil, I couldnt resist..

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont know, I think puresexx.com is worth $ 45,000,000, :laugh:

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I certainly would not worry about a measley $35 on a $500k sale. :laugh:

These three auctions were comical :evil: dude. Thanks for the laugh!

M

mole

I think that this is eBay's problem, IF they see it as a problem. Let them handle it. If you really like a name and willing to pay a fair price, no harm contacting sero directly imho. The world economy is about as bad as it can get, chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom