Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Today's auction grand total: $128

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by icehole

pod: then PLEASE tell me why zouzas was banned. He never did anything to offend them. He just posted his thoughts.
Get your facts straight before giving us a slab of your bubblegum-"philosophy"

He was trying to promote D N F o r u m. u s. A site that looks strikingly similiar to this site. I personally didn't have a problem with it. I would have never gone there as it would have been a waste of my time. I voiced my support for Zouzas, but did not choose to whine. I am businessman first. If you think of yourself as a "poster" when you come here you will get a response from me as you did.

As far as the "bumble gum" philosophy I offer here, I'm giving you a life experience. If you want to be successful just listen to those who failed, then got back up again. ;)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One last thing. This is to the members who appreciate all the good that has come from being a member here. There are some people who would love nothing more than to see it's demise. Those who voice "concern" or "problems" with things on DNF aren't the ones. They are the ones who "help" DNF. It's those who "keep" voicing the "concerns" or "problems" with no positive tone to their posts. If we all wanted to go to a site where all you saw were complaints about an organization that didn't try to make positive changes, I would do an about face so quick, the site wouldn't have time to resolve. HOWEVER we are talking about DNF. The owners here have tried to make positive changes. They have sought advice. It's up to them who they put on a committee or not. Personally if my name were removed tomorrow, I wouldn't change. I would still offer comments/advice to make DNF even better. I am not here to be on some committee. I'm here to benefit financially, intellectually and "meet" interesting people who are making a difference in this community (Duke, Elequa, GregR, Dome, DCG, NamePopper, etc).

This isn't about being a "yes" man. It's about calling those people on the carpet that "hope" to get banned just so they can say they are on the "opposition" side. And you wonder why this entire industry is in disarray. Too many complainers, and not enough people trying to create their own destiny. Too worried about what the next guy is doing, and not worrying about what's going on in their backyard. In the time it takes to make an unconstructive post, I could sell 10 names on this board. I may do this to show you that it can be done!!!

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod is an asset to any forum or community. He should never be chastised for carrying the torch for this forum or any other. Why those idiots at DS banned him is beyond me.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I can assure you the current situation is not related with the economy etc etc. I made some of my highest sales during the period of war with Iraq.

Watch the trend for a few more weeks and you will mark my words.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange.com
I can assure you the current situation is not related with the economy etc etc. I made some of my highest sales during the period of war with Iraq.

Watch the trend for a few more weeks and you will mark my words.

Again... Try selling Paper Clips in a Paper Clip factory. At first it may appear to be novel, and thus "popular". After a bit though, you realize. Why do I want to buy a paper clip, when I already have a bunch? I would rather sell to those don't have any paper clips at all, or decent ones.

Selling is the easiest thing to do in the world, it's closing the sale that is the toughest. People are becoming quite attune as to the value of 3-character names, names that you realize would take a fortune to market. Names that aren't a part of any trend. I think what you are seeing is reality. If I can take a line from the "Matrix". You have the choice... Do you want the "blue" pill or the "red" one.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
izopod, where did I mention 3-char names? Have you seen my portfolio or you're stuck to the effect that my 3-char .com sales had? That's another sign of success for me.

What I am talking about is the WHITE NOISE that the rotating $1 auctions have brought to the Sales forum. I have to compete with shameless cheapskates to promote names like Fallensoldiers.com and Isolde.net

So spare me the matrix pseudo-philosophy. Since the DNFAuctions was introduced, I am anxiously waiting to see the announcement that would force all the $1 junkyard to move there.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Izopod ,
Please dont reply to my remarks unless you address MY remarks, your "myth" theory's has absolutely nothing to do with my remark.

Originally posted by izopod

I think there is some expectations out there that are "real", and then we have some that "aren't".

MYTH #1: Putting up a name in the live auction with guarantee a 5 figure sale.

TRUTH #1: Come on!! Most of the names being sold won't even sell after twelve "bumps" in the Sale Forum let alone a live auction. Obviously we need to realize that not all names will sell no matter who is present. Remember the "big time" buyers are into "dictionary", dot comish type names. The rest of us don't mind .biz/.us/.info however they have to be "good" at a very minimum.

MYTH #2: Because of recent events we have "lost" big-time buyers!

TRUTH#2: The live auctions have been in decline for sometime now because of many reasons. The big one being that selling names to other domainers is a lot like selling paper clips inside a paper clip manufacturing plant. Intitally we thought (as did I) Live auctions would produce big sales. They haven't. Again, "Big Time" buyers usually go after certain names. Point out any name that "should" have sold for 4 figures and I will give you a reason why it didn't

MYTH #3: Private transactions aren't happening here on DNF (haven't heard of this "myth", but trying to make a point crystal clear).

TRUTH #3: There are probably more sales going on via "User to User" contact than any of you or I realize. I have never purchased a name via any auction here. I guess my own preference is to "seek out" names that have been listed in the appraisal section or elsewhere, then contact the owner "privately". Just purchased a .biz name for $*** last week that way. Smooth transaction! I have been approached several times on various names via pm, as I'm sure you all have.

I think it's time we all realize that we are benefitting because of our "being here". We benefit with or without the auctions. The auctions shouldn't be seen as "the only" way to sell your names. If it is I'm afraid, you haven't quite figured the concept of "buy low, sell high".

MYTH #4: Buying and selling domain names is an easy way to make money.

TRUTH #4: Visit http://www.DNjournal.com and I think you'll find that buy and selling domains is an art. It's a skill. The people who generally sell the most domains know marketing inside and out. They are very positive about what they are doing irregardless if they have a "forum" or not. They understand the concept of "moving" on average names (anything above reg fee is a profit is it not??). They go to great lengths to please their buyer (pay for transfer, fast email, and follow-up, follow-up, follow-up). They have a solid reputation as someone you can deal with (StocDoctor and Name-Maker) are two individuals that come to mind. They know when to "short" names. They can see trends coming a mile a way. They work extremely long hours culivating relationships in the business, and with end users who look for quality names all the time.

izopodian philsophy: Those who seek the "Truths" in their respective industry usually end up on top. Everytime without fail.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I won't take time to disseminate those myths, simply because I have proven that these "truths" apply only a percentage of the time. I've been selling domains for 4 years and I can tell you that DNF is heading to the wrong direction what with allowing the sales forum to become a petty market.

It's quite uplifting when those "truths" are challenged and proven half-truths, every time they're brought up as the only golden rule.

But since we're expanding this, just notice the trend in the Appraisals forum, where again every Joe Blow discredits objectively good names; sometimes even posting ridiculous figures that include cents.

I've been ringing the alarm bell for quite some time now and I will tell you, the motto on top of the logo does not justify those results.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But since we're expanding this, just notice the trend in the Appraisals forum, where again every Joe Blow discredits objectively good names; sometimes even posting ridiculous figures that include cents.
We have actually been discussing this among the mods, and I think a couple of notorious appraisers have already been ... "away" recently.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I won't take time to disseminate those myths, simply because I have proven that these "truths" apply only a percentage of the time. I've been selling domains for 4 years and I can tell you that DNF is heading to the wrong direction what with allowing the sales forum to become a petty market.

Timechange,

I think you're reasoning is completely off base ($1 auctions screwing everything up).

And thats fine..

But as a soultion what would you think of DNF having 2 Live auctions a week.
One auction middle of the week where you cant list any domain for more than one dollar. The bargain bin if you like. Let the natural competative nature of man be the rule.We want to be the "winner" nature

Still have the Sunday night auctions, but raise the minimum listing price as was discussed in earlier threads to say the $15 level.

Would that seem reasonable to you ? something you could back ?

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Again... Try selling Paper Clips in a Paper Clip factory. At first it may appear to be novel, and thus "popular". After a bit though, you realize. Why do I want to buy a paper clip, when I already have a bunch? I would rather sell to those don't have any paper clips at all, or decent ones.

WRONG!!!

Actually the previous business model was not selling paper clips to other paper clips manufacturers. I had sold many names to non-members when there was no membership fee.

The things started after the ex-owner put membership fees. He is now monetized his investment and pull out the road. That is when all these $4 orgy names threads, blow out threads started . People here bid $4 for everthing. If you call it its the economy it is not right. I sell my domains to market buyers for market prices outside of this forum.

Besides, listen to Mole!! He has way more knowledge and experience over than anyone here in this forum, including you.

Oh by the way if the owners want to ban me please do it. I am not desperate to sell names for 4 bucks.

SAF

Oh just forget to say;

Laking fo 3 leter .koms fo 200 bucks. No x q w g v j y pliys!!!
23 3 lete .koms pucesed, nids 127 mo

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
izopod, where did I mention 3-char names? Have you seen my portfolio or you're stuck to the effect that my 3-char .com sales had? That's another sign of success for me.

What I am talking about is the WHITE NOISE that the rotating $1 auctions have brought to the Sales forum. I have to compete with shameless cheapskates to promote names like Fallensoldiers.com and Isolde.net

So spare me the matrix pseudo-philosophy. Since the DNFAuctions was introduced, I am anxiously waiting to see the announcement that would force all the $1 junkyard to move there.

I'm back. HAD to go shopping with the wife to pick up some plants at a nursery... Lol!

Anyways, TM, I wasn't necessarily responding to your particular comments persay. I was making a "statement" in general as to why names aren't selling like they used to on the auction.

So nothing personal. Just my observations with the obligatory "Matrix" analogy included... Lol...

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was not referring to the $1 pricing for the Sunday auction, but rather to the injection of auctions in the Sales forum. These auctions revolve around the fact that the domain is intended to sell under $10 - if that much. So these $1 auctions (again, in the Sales forum) not only dominate the top spots with their continuous commentary but also take away the focus from other reasonably priced sales.

About the Sunday auctions, I mentioned that it's a sign of the dissatisfaction among bidders and I doubt that introducing a second mid-week auction will solve the problem.

The problem will be solved when: low-priced domains that are auctioned in the Sales forum move to the DNFAuctions site, "wise-ass" appraisals get banned at the Appraisals forum and overall the theme "Online community for SERIOUS domain owners" gets enforced.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirAlexFerguson

Oh by the way if the owners want to ban me please do it. I am not desperate to sell names for 4 bucks.

SAF

Why would they ban you for having an opinion?

Oh, and do you have a positive suggestion to go with this opinion?? Eh... Doesn't look like it!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ah, ha! Now we are talking. A point made with a suggestion. Can we all take a lesson here. I don't detect any whining below. Pure fact, with a solution to a problem. Whether it is right or wrong that doesn't matter. I think what we are all tiring of is the "sniping".

I was not referring to the $1 pricing for the Sunday auction, but rather to the injection of auctions in the Sales forum. These auctions revolve around the fact that the domain is intended to sell under $10 - if that much. So these $1 auctions (again, in the Sales forum) not only dominate the top spots with their continuous commentary but also take away the focus from other reasonably priced sales.

About the Sunday auctions, I mentioned that it's a sign of the dissatisfaction among bidders and I doubt that introducing a second mid-week auction will solve the problem.

The problem will be solved when: low-priced domains that are auctioned in the Sales forum move to the DNFAuctions site, "wise-ass" appraisals get banned at the Appraisals forum and overall the theme "Online community for SERIOUS domain owners" gets enforced.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
Izopod ,
Please dont reply to my remarks unless you address MY remarks, your "myth" theory's has absolutely nothing to do with my remark.

I'll remember not to quote you bid. Anytime anyone responds to one of your comments or threads, they get this crap. So, don't worry. I'll just put you on my ignore list. ;)

As far as my "Myths & Truths" I stand by them.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK,..Yeah I see what you are talking about.

I fail to see how that is a problem though, are you saying perception wise ? from the potential ..(gee I hate to use this term but everyone seems to think we need a seperate distintion..) "RETAIL" buyer that views the forum.

I see no problem with "focus" of "reasonably" priced domains as you say.
People arent idiots, if they are looking for names they will scour the "Domains for Sale" thread..how does that take away from any other name?

I have started a couple threads like that ..one went to $65 , another $25 or something another $9 ...just moving merchandise off the shelf.

That IS the domains for sale thread ..

But if that is a problem for you, or anyone else ..simply make a suggestion for a $1 auction thread to keep that action off the "set price" domains for sale thread.

And that takes care of that..

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple, the live auctions were successful before because me and a handful of others put medium dollar names in each week with a starting bid of $1. We sacrificed for the benefit of the live auctions in the hope that more bidders would come each week and others would follow our lead and put their medium dollar names up for auction. I didn't want to continue providing the loss leaders so that others could sell their low dollar names. It looks like the handful of others felt the same way.

It has nothing to do with the economy or the new ownership.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dont quote me, because everytime you do you head off in some other direction that makes no sense what so ever.

And how dare you flame me, I dont crap on anyone isnt crapping on me..

I'll remember not to quote you bid. Anytime anyone responds to one of your comments or threads, they get this crap. So, don't worry. I'll just put you on my ignore list. ;)

As far as my "Myths & Truths" I stand by them.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gregr
Plain and simple, the live auctions were successful before because me and a handful of others put medium dollar names in each week with a starting bid of $1. We sacrificed for the benefit of the live auctions in the hope that more bidders would come each week and others would follow our lead and put their medium dollar names up for auction. I didn't want to continue providing the loss leaders so that others could sell their low dollar names. It looks like the handful of others felt the same way.

It has nothing to do with the economy or the new ownership.

That is the closet thing to being the truth all day.

most of the names suck that everyone is putting up, what does everyone expect.

And Greg and a couple of others were "enticing" people into the auctions with some excellent names every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom