Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Today's auction grand total: $128

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes Gregr is right - We quit listing names on the auctions several weeks ago also - We had tried to put up a mix of names to draw a few folks in. Did not work out so well recently.

As far as all the folks that have been banned go (in my opinion only) they should all be given another chance. It has been a while and I am sure everyone has cooled down a bit by now. Good or Bad, this place needs every member it can get, to benefit us all (specially paying members). DCG needs every paying customer he can get to strength this forum. We all then just have to learn to get along. If someone or something is bothering you here, there should be a proper channel to the effective mods that handle the matter for the members. Maybe if things get hot the mods unplug someone for an hour or so, then let them back in. When we had 14 boards up for the Construction Industry, the mods would have a place to post warnings on a member - so many warnings in a 30 day period and you are unplugged till the next monthly cycle. It worked well and folks came to respect the rules - Just a suggestion.... Let them all back in and lets try this again. Personally it was allot more fun and productive, a week or so ago around here, than it is now.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Great post Steve; I will vouch for such a motion - and I hope that DCG will be as flexible as Greg was when I clashed with him a few months back :D

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks TimeChange - I have heard just about enough of this whole think with these missing members. My email box is full, PM box was full, all talking about these missing folks. Lets let them back in and try it again. Maybe we can then get back to buying and selling a few domains.

We will put up another 10 "good names" in this next auction starting all at $1.00 to try to get it kicked started again, if a few of you want to do the same thing? Come on DCG put up 10 names - This might just get the auction going again? Maybe worth a try?

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CPiSites
Maybe if things get hot the mods unplug someone for an hour or so, then let them back in. ......

...... Personally it was allot more fun and productive, a week or so ago around here, than it is now.

Unfortunately this isn't a daycare. Putting someone in a "timeout" room is a bad idea. Also I think DNF is clearly different then most forums. Actual business is being conducted here everyday. Not sure what your office is like, but mine is all business. Business does include the lighter side of things, but I think we can all agree, non=productive attitudes doesn't cut it. Those people get fired. To run a business where you allow people to constantly disrupt the upward momentum of a business is not a very good way to conduct business IMHO

Irregardless of what I think though I'm glad you posted your comments in the way you did Steve. They were done in a way that is "helpful" and "constructive".

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CPiSites
... Maybe if things get hot the mods unplug someone for an hour or so, then let them back in ...
Personally, I am more leaning to a temporary ban (instead of stealth or permenant ban out right) since I believe in education than punishment. However, from my being a high school teacher/administrator before, adults and teenagers are usually treated differently. If an adult does something he or she would be regretting in just an hour or so, that person really needs to go back to high school. Temporary bans, even when there is any, should be DAYS at the least (I would recommend 7 days for minor offence for instance) and any repeated offender does not deserve a third chance.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One other thing... I realize this is still a community where we meet and greet each other everyday. However if someone were to not show up for some reason either A) by choice or B) removed, does that mean the "fun" is gone?

For me, I "make" my own conversation. I bring up issues. I don't just post "What do you think about X domain?" in the appraisal section in hopes I get "glowing" comments from partisan members.

Where am I going with this: A community by definition is a place where EVERYONE contributes. If you come here just to get your names appraised, or read what others posted you aren't contributing. You may be a "paying" customer, but you are of no help to me. The worst of it is if you don't contribute and then complain.

izopodian philsophy: Somtimes the truth hurts when you realize it for the first time.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No Offense Pod, but do you ever shut up ?

People are coming up solutions, go back in your hole and make conversation with your self .

Originally posted by izopod
One other thing... I realize this is still a community where we meet and greet each other everyday. However if someone were to not show up for some reason either A) by choice or B) removed, does that mean the "fun" is gone?

For me, I "make" my own conversation. I bring up issues. I don't just post "What do you think about X domain?" in the appraisal section in hopes I get "glowing" comments from partisan members.

Where am I going with this: A community by definition is a place where EVERYONE contributes. If you come here just to get your names appraised, or read what others posted you aren't contributing. You may be a "paying" customer, but you are of no help to me. The worst of it is if you don't contribute and then complain.

izopodian philsophy: Somtimes the truth hurts when you realize it for the first time.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

Irregardless of what I think though I'm glad you posted your comments in the way you did Steve. They were done in a way that is "helpful" and "constructive".

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My point is we should not be here talking about who is missing, how to fix the problems on this board or what we did not sell today, or at the auction - We should be talking about that great drop today and who got what and what they are worth or the domains that just went on sale in the threads, etc. Maybe get the past couple of weeks behind us all and get back to work with a good set of rules for banning, warnings and thread removals in the future. The Mods and DCG just have to lay down the guidelines and we and they, will all have to follow them. Pretty simple concept.

hollayo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents: I stopped even looking what was for sale and stopped listing

One solution may be to have auctions once a month and limit it to 3 domaisn per domainer

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Izopod, what happened to your blue lizard? I bought you domainlizard.com as a gift!

TimeChange, you got overclock.net for how much? That is crazy. I need to get back to browsing the sales section!

Lew

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with Steve (CPI) - they shouldn't be banned - sounds a bit too harsh for their actions (from what I have read here).

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by com
Izopod, what happened to your blue lizard? I bought you domainlizard.com as a gift!

TimeChange, you got overclock.net for how much? That is crazy. I need to get back to browsing the sales section!

$35

Most people think I'm only selling but I've bought a lot of domains on DNF in the $40, $60, $75 range and a few at the $400 - $1k+

There are a lot of good names on DNF.

Anyway, my main gripe is with the $1 auctions listed on the Sales forum; much too much white noise.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I personally like the $1 auctions. They are not white noise to me, but are bargains. At the same time, I buy more expensive domains when their value warrants.

TC, why are your domains so much more valuable than everyone else's? I fail to see what is so great about the name "Isolde.net"? Am I missing something here? The fact that others are willing to sell for $1 (or hope for a bidding war that pushes the price up) is purely the effect of supply and demand. When someone has too many domains, and needs the cash, they sell cheap. Not to mention that low starting prices get the ball rolling. Once a few people bid on the domain, it's that much easier to give into the moment and and bid more than the domain is worth. That's good for the seller, and good for the auction in general.

Anyway, that's why I pay my dues -- to capitalize on opportunity. To "price fix" the marketplace because you can't afford to sell your domains for $1 is a form of collusion. In a free marketplace equilibrium will be reached eventually as everyone bids on the domains that are actually worth something, and soon it won't be worth their time to sell crappy domains in the forum if no one is bidding on them.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by spfanstiel
I personally like the $1 auctions. They are not white noise to me, but are bargains. At the same time, I buy more expensive domains when their value warrants.

TC, why are your domains so much more valuable than everyone else's? I fail to see what is so great about the name "Isolde.net"? Am I missing something here? The fact that others are willing to sell for $1 (or hope for a bidding war that pushes the price up) is purely the effect of supply and demand. When someone has too many domains, and needs the cash, they sell cheap. Not to mention that low starting prices get the ball rolling. Once a few people bid on the domain, it's that much easier to give into the moment and and bid more than the domain is worth. That's good for the seller, and good for the auction in general.

Anyway, that's why I pay my dues -- to capitalize on opportunity. To "price fix" the marketplace because you can't afford to sell your domains for $1 is a form of collusion. In a free marketplace equilibrium will be reached eventually as everyone bids on the domains that are actually worth something, and soon it won't be worth their time to sell crappy domains in the forum if no one is bidding on them.

Isolde is a famous female first name and unless you're new in the "biz" you'd know its worth.

Auctions in the Sales forum are annoying because they occupy the top spots in a manner that is unfair to the other sales (which obviously don't resort to such means).

It's the same as if I were bumping my sales thread every few minutes.

Again, I am not saying ban the auctions; just move them to a separate forum that's just for auctions. Let's see how the $1 domains there compete among themselves.

Edited: typos :D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Theo's solution makes sense. Only allow auctions in an auction thread or on the new DNFAuctions.com site (which looks like it is going to be a winner). Everyone can still sell in whatever way is most effective for them.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by timechange.com

Isolde is a famous female first name and unless you're new in the "biz" you'd know its worth.

I see. Not quite so "famous" of a female first name in the U.S. Sorry.

Originally posted by timechange.com

Auctions in the Sales forum are annoying because they occupy the top spots in a manner that is unfair to the other sales (which obviously don't resort to such means).

It's the same as if I were bumping my sales thread every few minutes.

Again, I am not saying ban the auctions; just move them to a separate forum that's just for auctions. Let's see how the $1 domains there compete among themselves.

Edited: typos :D

Ahh.. I see. Your gripe at this point is not with the Sunday night auctions, but with auctions in the sales forum. You may want to make this more clear. You start out talking about "white noise" on the Sunday night auction, then shift gears to the extra "bumpage" auctions get in the sales forum. Therein lies my confusion.

Oh well, FWIW, I like the $1 price tag on BOTH auctions, but mostly because I like getting domains for cheap.

I will agree with you, however, that if there were a separate forum for "auction style" sales versus "set price" sales, that would make a lot more sense than lumping them together in one forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom