Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Top 10 most annoying, overused domain forum phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains, GT Web, some good points there.

RealNames said:
But not at all a good comparison as you are comparing an auction environment vs a non-auction offering.
You asked Can you imagine making an offer to buy most anything else in life with the sellers price being a secret!
And yes, I could, so I posted it. You did not ask for a good or not good example. (Even though I think it is a very good example myself. You can try and convince me otherwise if you should wish so, of course, but maybe we should 'stop' as we have already kinda taken this thread into a different direction. My bad for 'igniting' it, I s'pose. :))

Best,
Rob

myblueshoes

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Good News"

"ya know, that DN you picked up for a couple of grand wasn't quite as good as expected...
but I just saved a bundle on my car insurance...."
(USA TV commercial)

Well- this is more what I hope to never hear because I haven't been here long enough to hear it all...

How about:
No money down. Try before you buy, Get that often...?
:wink:

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Can you imagine making an offer to buy most anything else in life with the sellers price being a secret!"

I have a 1998 Nissan Micra for sale - have a look at it and make me an offer.

Happens every day.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Garry Anderson said:
"Can you imagine making an offer to buy most anything else in life with the sellers price being a secret!" I have a 1998 Nissan Micra for sale - have a look at it and make me an offer. Happens every day.

That comparison and others made in this thread are not good examples because the buyer has a way to lookup the real value using the Blue Book or calling Dealers, etc and getting a very good estimation of value. Of course, that can not be done with domains other than educated guessing which is often arbitrary and subjective, being rarely even close to accurate.

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Garry> "I have a 1998 Nissan Micra for sale - have a look at it and make me an offer. Happens every day."

RealNames> "That comparison and others made in this thread are not good examples because the buyer has a way to lookup the real value using the Blue Book or calling Dealers, etc and getting a very good estimation of value. Of course, that can not be done with domains other than educated guessing which is often arbitrary and subjective, being rarely even close to accurate."

I agree to large extent - mostly true - but in selling the price is subjective.

Cost plus what you want to add on (or minus what willing to lose).

In case of car - depreciation need be taken into account (recorded in Blue Book or Glass/Parkers Guide).

Of course, some things appreciate in value - depending upon things like rarety.

People sometimes do not quote price when they simply hope to get more than what they think it is worth.

The book may say my car is worth £1500 - but being very reliable car with very low insurance (especially for first timers) I have seen them selling for £1995.

If placed at £1995 - it may put buyers off enquiring and making offer.

If placed at £1500 - this may have lost me £445.

To you, a domain is only worth what you are willing to pay for it - the less the better.

To owner, a domain is worth what they are willing to sell it for - the more the better.

In any sale, it is always entirely up to seller HOW they wish to sell it (even if it does waste peoples time) - and entirely up to buyer if they wish to buy like this.

If the buyer wants it enough - they will make offer - unless they have some wierd phobia about approaching people to buy like this ;-)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% Garry. All my best sales have come from my insisting on an offer first. I think this works just fine if you have something you absolutely KNOW you're going to get at least $500 for. For rubbsh, reg fee-type domains I would agree it's somewhat of a waste of tme. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"; what may look like $500 to you may look like $3000 to another -- if you're not in a mad panic to sell, I think 'taking offers' is the exact way to go, however aggravating it might be to the prospective buyer.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with both Gary and Azooza...

Azooza's post explains how more than half the forum does business, which sucks for people like RealNames who dont seem to enjoy it, but I've found it works well and I'm sure others have as well.

Furthermore, some people put a domain on the market without knowing how much it is worth, they hope they get an offer from a prospective buyer which can give them a starting point for the value of their domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom