Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

TRAFFIC Auction: Best names? Worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acro networking is great that wasn't my point at all. Name selection, expectations, and denial is and was.

italian if if Wall Street hasn't read the WSJ and many other publications over the past 4-5 years then they shouldn't be on Wall Street. I mean really, I talked to a retired auto parts guy at a bar the other night that knew about the pizza.com deal. You would think at least somebody on Wall Street has considered it.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Acro networking is great that wasn't my point at all. Name selection, expectations, and denial is and was.

italian if if Wall Street hasn't read the WSJ and many other publications over the past 4-5 years then they shouldn't be on Wall Street. I mean really, I talked to a retired auto parts guy at a bar the other night that knew about the pizza.com deal. You would think at least somebody on Wall Street has considered it.

Look, I have been heavily involved in stocktrading from 1999 to 2004 and I can tell you that successful traders don`t have time to go to the toilet, let alone read news about domains. DO you thing a Wall Street trader know how much money your house is worth? That`s a real estate agent job. But still the connection is there because of big banks involved and also investment funds that own real estate.
Within the domain industry what is missing is that connection. Once that will happen it will trigger to new levels.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When I signed up for TRAFFIC / Orlando, my expectations from attending the conference were cut very dry and specific. I envisioned selling domains at the auction, meeting with other professionals dressed in suits and sharing ideas with the very core people of the domain industry. I’m able to say that I achieved my goals one-hundredfold in a much broader manner which I had not anticipated, because simply being part of the TRAFFIC event is an achievement of its own.

Read the rest at my blog :D

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Banks and Investment firms aren't going to be interested in your (real estate) evaluations of a domain because all it is, is a matter of opinion. And were not even going to go into the risk factors that are ever so increasing. How many of your neighbors had their house taken because the other neighbor said it looked like theirs?

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Banks and Investment firms aren't going to be interested in your (real estate) evaluations of a domain because all it is, is a matter of opinion. And were not even going to go into the risk factors that are ever so increasing. How many of your neighbors had their house taken because the other neighbor said it looked like theirs?

but that happens because some idiots in the Usa are allowing this to happen, the first thing to do should be REPLACE the ICANN with some INTERNATIONAL organisation.

Plus, do not think that in other investments there are no risks.... ENRON in the USA or Parmalat in Italy, anyone?

Any investment has a level of risk, even BONDS.....ARGENTINA DOCET.

DomainBELL

DomainBELL.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actual bids or just the auctioneer trying to get close to the reserve price?

I KNOW the difference...

I'd not bother to post about jibbejabber...

It's easy to tell the difference... if you listen close enough...
and have heard that particular auctioneer - a gazillion times
and no his style...

- - - andrewdomainer
thanks for the links in post 54

I need to go read Acro's Blog now...
:)

~DomainBELL (Patrici)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a few good examples of my reasoning. A couple of years ago I was brokering a few names for a pre-2000 domain investor. At the time he expected more 3x more than even an end-user was willing to pay. Fast forward until about six months ago and someone dug up one of my old posts and was willing to pay roughly that price. Only then the seller wants 3x times more.

My neighbor across the street is selling her house. She bought during the height of the real estate bubble. Now grant it my area is holding pretty well right now but over the past 6-7 years has reached it's height at $100-200 a SF opposed to pre2000-01 which was $50-$75 and now settling back down to within reason. She's been advised by professionals to spend I'd say 10k to turn a nice looking house into a model home. Considering that she bought at "what her house is now worth" and add to that anything shes put into it over the past few years plus all of the new (professional added value opinion stuff) that really doesn't add value (since shes not adding square footage) and then add to that the agent listing fees.

After all is said and done and in my opinion being a ex-mortgage company owner (don't worry I got out in 2001 due to irreconcilable differences not the market) and certified home inspector she's going to lose money in the end whereas she likely could have made a little money just putting it on the market as is. Not two blocks over I can buy twice the size of house on a corner lot for that matter for 1/4 more (at asking price) of her "advised" asking price. And the mortgage industry / Wall Street took all the blame for the current market downturn. As you can see the "professional valuators" who played the biggest factor.

In summary, the professionals are continually pricing themselves out of the market.

As far as the ICANN comment and about the only good thing I can say about them is they have been trying to move out from under the DOC oversight. Either way ICANN isn't the one who is awarding names. The ones who are, are suppose to be a fair, open and worldly organizations from my understanding? I'm not at all saying that they are but thats the idea. It wasn't a US company who was awarded lh.com now was it?

Last edited:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do we have a complete sales list of what names went for what? Andrew's post above doesn't seem to have all of them. Thanks

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the sky is falling

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to be the sky is falling and not just a reality check?

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I signed up for TRAFFIC / Orlando, my expectations from attending the conference were cut very dry and specific. I envisioned selling domains at the auction, meeting with other professionals dressed in suits and sharing ideas with the very core people of the domain industry. I’m able to say that I achieved my goals one-hundredfold in a much broader manner which I had not anticipated, because simply being part of the TRAFFIC event is an achievement of its own.

Right on...I concur.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The total was $2.55 million. Thats a lot of money, a nice number but much smaller than some car auctions or art auctions. Domaining still has some growing to do.

What was the best deal here? I will put my choices here.

For .mobi, I have no opinion. I don't get it, really.

These are my favorites, in order from best:

$17,000 tvschedule.com
$225,000 gasprices.com
$16,000 investmentplanner.com
$30,000 floortiles.com
$18,000 labsupplies.com

These are bargains! Migrate.com would be a very nice company name:

$2,500 graphicssoftware.com
$9,500 migrate.com
$9,000 theaterreviews.com
$6,500 luxuryestate.com
$5,000 xmaslist.com

I don't like these as much, at these prices:

$42,500 postalcodes.com
$37,500 footballscores.com

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I had the same expectations at my first conference...I always dress in a suit when I go...usually its a bunch of fat guys in hawaiian shirts... :rolleyes:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Nah, it's not about the attire but rather, the attitude. I've been to many business conferences and depending on the amount of networking one is prepared to do, attire varies from business casual to full three-piece suits. TRAFFIC / Orlando was a great opportunity for anyone who participated to form alliances, brainstorm or kick back and simply absorb the atmosphere.

DomainBELL

DomainBELL.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the same expectations at my first conference...I always dress in a suit when I go...usually its a bunch of fat guys in hawaiian shirts... :rolleyes:

you know I am a nosey girl...
has your picture ever appeared on DNJ in after articles ??:smilewinkgrin:

~DomainBELL (Patricia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom