Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

URGENT - I need to recover a domain of mine in redemption period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to recover a domain of mine that is in redemption period. I never got the email notification that the domain was about to expire and now i think the redemption period ends tomorrow (September, 17th). I tried to recover the domain from my account in the "Recover Expired Domains" area but there is no domain in there.

PLEASE, I NEED HELP ASAP, I'm afraid that if i don't recover this domain today, i'm not gonna be able to get it back.

Anyone from Godaddy here that can help NOW??

THANKS

RustyK

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Try see if Adam is home and explain your situation. He comes in here now and then.

Good luck.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Contact: email/call GD support. Be prepared to pay the recovery fee - around $120.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm not from gd but i have names there, see if this applies to your situation, my concern is that as soon as a domain expires it should appear on the "Recover Expired Domains" section of the DCC, even if you can still renew them at normal prices from your RENEWALS list, ie "renewable" vs "recoverable" which means you have to pay $80 to recover it, so perhaps the real exp date and time (some WHOIS databases show all these detalis) was Sep 17, 2009 at XX:XX:XX which is GMT time and not where the registrant lives or where the registrar is based, so it may be too late, if not, try this :

(i'm assuming you checked a couple of WHOIS to see where the name stands, i expect the gd WHOIS to be the most accurate since that's where the name is)

you should look at the exp date of the domain, then follow this :

from day 1 to 17 (17 full days) AFTER the exp date you can renew it on gd at normal prices, it's still on your renewals list and dcc

from day 18 to 27 (10 full days) it goes on a 10-day auction on gd, you can risk it and get it on auction for as little as $10 + ren fee, OR PAY $80 (current redemption fee for all gd members as far as i know) as long as there are no backorders, then if the orig owner doesn't reclaim it's given to the highest bidder on a provisional basis (orig owner can still reclaim for $80 AFTER that)

from day 28 to 37 (10 full days) it goes on Closeout Sale on gd if the regular auction didn't get any bids (formerly Fire Sale, $5 BIN auctions on gd ) so you may get it for as little of a $5 BIN + ren fee if no one else wants it as long as there are no backorders, or pay the $80 redemption fee before this period ends

from day 38 to 42 (5 full days) nothing happens if no one picked it up on Closeout Sale, i believe backorders are still honored, orig owner can still reclaim for $80

from day 43 to 72 (30 full days) it is held by the registry for "Registry Redemption" before release to the public, whether the owner can still redeem for the same $80 or the registry has its own fee i'm still not clear lol....

on the 73rd day after exp date it goes back to the public and it becomes available for new reg, so if luck is on your side you could even reg the name as new for $7 after 72 days !

there isn't much info on this available on forums but after closely following a couple of names i wanted and one i forgot to renew, this is pretty close to what actually will happen, in my case the $80 fee looked so bad i decided to take my chances and try to get my name from auction, and i'd actually prefer to let a name go and then regret my choice, than having this happen, this has actually happened to me but it wasn't because i didn't get reminder emails, i just forgot to renew it while i still could

i don't know who adam is or which dept he's in but maybe the right person can help you avoid the $80

i thought i'd post this since a lot of people, like myself not long ago, didn't know names are still available for normal ren w/no penalty for 17 days after they expire, full redemption only begins on the 18th day, and this 17-day grace period only works for gd, redemption period rules vary widely from one registrar to another and redemption fees vary by a lot too depending on which registrar it is

maybe this helps a little and i hope you get that name back !

Last edited:

torlanco

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow that is super excellent info!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dont do this by email or trouble ticket, get on the phone now and call Godaddy.

And Acro's right, be prepared to pay the fee.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i heard from someone who has an acct mgr at gd and in an email the mgr had mentioned the grace period is actually 17 days, so i just moved the dates one day earlier, we have to err on the safe side and he must be right :smilewinkgrin:

and gee, thanks, torlanco lol :blush: i may not be 100% accurate but i'm not far off, that i know, hopefully someone from gd can correct me if i'm wrong or give us a definite posting or link of the Life Cycle of a Domain, at least acording to gd ! (i'll ck w/a mod if i can remove the entry and begin a new thread instead, i'm sure many of us would benefit from other members' experiences and a DNFer who works at gd can help nail this exactly :-/

i also agree w/raider not to rely on a ticket, and w/acro that argie will have to pay the fee if the name is still in the dcc, unless somebody at gd decides it was an error on their part the email(s) as renewal reminders weren't received by the registrant :rolleyes:

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Godaddy was able to recover my domain for $90,78 .

Thanks everyone for your help.

Angel69, Adam (Dicker, aka DotComGod) is the VP of Godaddy and the owner of this forum.

Last edited:

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sorry, i screwed up on the final stage of a domain life cycle at godaddy below....(post below has been updated), after the 1st 42 days i just learned it is then held by the registry for something called "Registry Redemption" for 30 days, what it costs i don't know, still i did kinda k for the crucial part, the 1st 42 days after exp date lol....hope i didn't get anyone misdirected, glad to see the orig poster got the name back @ $80 + ren fee...still hopeful someone from gd who's a member here can post the definite sequence (and i didn't know the adam mentioned before was actually the owner of dnf, i just read the comment posted, i'll be sure to say hi to him soon ! it sounded to me you guys were referring to a gd rep who worked in the redemption dept @ gd...)

also, ICANN should be the deciding authority on this although i know for sure this varies among registrars, here's a link from ICANN.org

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom