Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Want to approach owner..Domain Not ForSale..Advice Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've browsed a few posts on this issue and thought I'd post my own to get some feedback.

There is a registered domain that I'm interested in. Here is the info that I could get from whois and urltrends.

Created in 2000
Updated in 2005
No PR
No Alexa Rank
No Incoming links at all

Now, I've looked at some of the domain appraisals by peers and would think that IF the owner were to sell this, he would probably get the low $XX.

I'm considering getting a Godaddy Fast Appraisal before I approach the owner. Would this be wise? Does anyone know if they're any good?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Domain Days 2024

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, no such appraisals are wise unless you are selling to an end user. Even then appraisals are useless. To be honest, you would have more luck figuring out how much you are willing to pay, and then contacting them via telephone or post mail in a professional manner. Appraisals in my opinion are a waste of time. A domain name is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... you have to ask yourself that question. How much are you willing to pay for it? How much is it worth to you?

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't ever offer less than $100 for any name when contacting someone out of the blue. Those who sell for less than hundreds to people who contact them this way are insane. Send the person and email stating that you will give them $100 for it right now. There really is no such thing as a name that is worth XX. The market is not that defined. Names are either worth $100 or more or they aren't worth crap.

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.

Now, does anyone know if GoDaddy can handle transfer issues between to members? Kinda like escrow.

Ideally, the owner would expect the funds before transfering anything. I just want to make sure I don't get burned in the process just in case he decides to sell it to me.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would be suprised if he accepted 100.00 dont forget back in 2000 reg fees were much higher so he probably has a reason for keeping the domain, and has probably put more than 100 into reg fees, is it parked? hope I am wrong good luck cant hurt to try the most he could say would be no.

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah..it's parked and the robots.txt is blocked so I can't query archive.org .

I'm going to try and see what happens. It's the most I can do at this point.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainDame said:
Thank you for your responses.

Now, does anyone know if GoDaddy can handle transfer issues between to members? Kinda like escrow.

Ideally, the owner would expect the funds before transfering anything. I just want to make sure I don't get burned in the process just in case he decides to sell it to me.

Godaddy does not handle escrow transactions, not that I know of anyway. You can use Moniker escrow or as you say escrow.com.

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, if I use moniker then the domain has to stay with moniker or do they transfer to the registrar of choice?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainDame said:
So, if I use moniker then the domain has to stay with moniker or do they transfer to the registrar of choice?

The domain can stay within the same registrar it is at now and use a push for the transfer of ownership instead of transfering out which takes longer, the escrow service simply holds the money until the push is completed and checked by whois info, you would be using whats called outside escrow service, Sedo also has an outside escrow service.

Although if the transaction is only $100 its not worth doing escrow, I think the min. fee is like $50 or so, just send the person a check and if they cash it at least you have record if something went wrong..

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would send this email.
Hello. I had noticed your domain XXXX has you listed in whois as owner. I wanted to know if you had any interest in selling this domain. If you do have interest in selling this please let me know what you might ask so I can consider it or shoot you a counter offer. If you want to discuss this over the phone feel free to call me up.

Thank you,
NAME
PHONE

I prefer short and sweet. I think the email shows interest yet it doesn't show desperation for the name.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like Labrocca's suggestion, since I always prefer the other party making an offer and showing interest first especially the seller. When I got called recently for a domain, I got the same question, and gave a quote immediately, since they said they had no idea of the value of domains.

BTW, some of us barely read their e-mail, so I would wait for a response, and then send standard postal mail. Good luck.

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I'm pretty excited about potentially getting this domain. I hope this is a nice fellow. You wouldn't believe the domain I'm trying to purchase. I think I will send the email now and see what happens. Hmmm...the .net is available..maybe I should purchase that before he realizes I want the domain.

Thanks again everyone :hippie:

Domain Jedi

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
labrocca,

You da man! I saved your short and sweet email draft for future reference.

DomainDame,

I wish you the best of luck!

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It can be shorter.

Greetings,

I am interested in purchasing XXX.com. If you could let me know a ballpark price then we might be able to come to an agreement today. I can pay immediately.

Regards,

Larry Flynt

DomainDame

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LOL... I used the short form and put my phone number at the bottom. My phone just rang from an out of state number and I almost wet my pants with excitement......

It was only Godaddy. :lol:

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainDame said:
LOL... I used the short form and put my phone number at the bottom. My phone just rang from an out of state number and I almost wet my pants with excitement......

It was only Godaddy. :lol:

geeeez , don't say you wet your pants! you will get this whole forum going!

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope this is a nice fellow. You wouldn't believe the domain I'm trying to purchase. I think I will send the email now and see what happens. Hmmm...the .net is available..maybe I should purchase that before he realizes I want the domain.

Definitely go for the .net, and if the domain is exciting as you make it out to be, why did you suggest value to below xx.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainDame said:
I think I will send the email now and see what happens.

I haven't received your email, yet.

:cheeky:

Maybe, it went into my junk email folder.

I receive a number of those type of emails.
I generally respond that the domain is not for sale.

For most domainers, they don't want to go thru the sales process
to make a couple of dollars.

Remember, it is a sellers market. If you want something, pay a decent
price to secure the domain. It won't get cheaper in the future.

The big boys aren't paying these high prices at the auction, just to spend
the money. They know that particular type domain will cost more in the future.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DomainDame said:
I'm considering getting a Godaddy Fast Appraisal before I approach the owner. Would this be wise? Does anyone know if they're any good?

I think that appraisals done by computers with no human oversight can not be trusted. I have looked at some of GoDaddy's Express Appraisals and the values that their formula was spitting out did not look accurate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom