Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Warning: PowerPipe is holding domains for ransom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Until now I've never had trouble transferring domains away from PowerPipe.com (an enom reseller). They've now taken away the ability to unlock your own domain names. You may only unlock them by sending a notarized fax with domain names, picture id, signature, and $7.99 PER DOMAIN.

I've tried emailing their support but she won't answer any of my questions directly. She just keeps pointing me to this new "agreement"

Is there anyway around this since I didn't agree to these terms when I registered any domains there? Does enom allow their resellers to do this?

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well if you are under an old agreement they shouldn't be able to spring a new one on you unless I guess if in the old agreement they give themselves the right to. They are probably loosing a lot of business with people figuring out that they can transfer to enom and other places for cheaper.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is really outrageous. Don't this registrars realize they are blowing their own feet off with draconian policies like this? No one in their right mind would register or keep a name at Powerpipe with that kind of policy.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ugh, not good. I have several names there as well. Thankfully, I stopped buying there a long time ago tho.

silhouette

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bad news...:-(
Have bought a couple of names, which is under Powerpipe!!
Should have read this eariler

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I transferred out soon as I could. Guess I missed the guillotine coming down behind me. ::: looks at "agreement" ::: Wow!!! That's aweful... how can an eNom reseller have policies eNom itself cannot institute? Isn't "pay to transfer" against Icann policies? People are saying Network Solutions will have a similar "surprise" for the "suckers" that took the "free" offer. Sounds like a bad trend getting worse... :-(

~ Nexus

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looks like I will have to add PowerPipe to the Hall of Shame in the LowDown section at DNJ where I have already excoriated DomainsNext IItsYourDomain.com) reseller for trying to extort $15 each from people who ant to leave. Does anyone know if this is ItsYourDomain's policy as well? If so people need to be warned about them as well.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Eek.. and I just bought some names from someone who had them there.

My reply should they ask for $ shall be something along the lines of "Tee Hee. Cute. Now, give me the EPP code.... You know, ICANN rules? eNom agreements? Your reputation?"

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I haven't had a problem with EPP transfers using code NA. It's the .coms and .nets that are stuck there.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to know!

I just tried that... see how it goes.

Re: com and net, how would they know you are trying to transfer, and thus that it is time for them to put the lock on? To my knowledge eNom's system doesn't support that.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Update: uh-oh... are they just putting registrar-lock on all names? The two I have there have locks on them :(.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ddent
Update: uh-oh... are they just putting registrar-lock on all names? The two I have there have locks on them :(.
Yes, that's what they have done.

They used to have a lock/unlock option on the master list page, but they've removed it. I emailed enom and asked if this type of extortion was allowed of their resellers, but it's been a week with no response.

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip re: .org... I got my .org out. Now, for the com and net...

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... just emailed powerpipe about this , and I hope they will do something.
I will not give up that easy.
I still have 140 + domains there.
I had a similar problem once with safenames ... and they responded VERY fast ...
let's see...

ddent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is what I sent them yesterday:

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:31:46 -0800 (PST)
To: support <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: ubidx.com, iraq2003.net, thursdays.org

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for the note.

Not to worry about thursdays.org I have managed to complete
the transfer without the authorization code.

Now all I need from you is to get ubidx.com and iraq2003.net
unlocked. I took a look at your webpage, and although it
gave me a good chuckle, it did not prompt me to send you a
check. You are not allowed to charge fees for transfering
out under ICANN rules, and I doubt eNom would like you
causing them to violate their registry-registrar agreements.
My next steps should you continue to refuse to co-coperate
are eNom support, then ICANN's complaint form, then ICANN's
transfer task force, then the DNS operator's list, and a few
other stops along the way.

You should also know that your reputation has already gone
down the tubes on a few forums (with membership size in the
thousands, if not tens of thousands... I'm not sure to be
honest) as a result of this policy change on your part...
there are warnings on at least two forums that I know of not
to use your services.

Please unlock the names.

Thanks,

Daniel

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...well so far i got 5 emails back from Jim Fellers at powerpipe saying simply...noooo , well they have changed a lot in the last 2 years .. now i contacted matt at enom , and if nothing happens ICANN is next...
keep you all posted....

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update : email reply from (matt @ enom - well i guess i got things going now...) at least the auth~ codes are coming soon...

keep you posted

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
update: ( from powerpipe.com )

Wolfgang,

Our transfers policy change was an experiment designed to thwart Network Solution's latest promotion of "free transfers".

We had one domain speculator say "Hey, I love you guys at PowerPipe.com, but Network Solutions is offering free transfers with one free year of registration". We lost 4,000 domains out of our reseller account instantly with one transaction. As CEO, I felt compelled to do something to battle NSI's latest marketing campaign.

Our "transfer out" fee was an experiment designed to battle Network Solutions. Of course, customers hated it more than I anticipated. I did anticipate some grumbling, but I knew we had great prices, so I thought that the strategy might work, although it was painful for me to consider it.

eNom had given us the authority to call our own shots, so we contacted counsel, instituted the new policy, and began charging additional fees.

It is best for customers and PowerPipe.com if we change the policy back to the old policy and automate the retrieval of authorization codes for anyone for free.

We plan to continue to offer $7.99 domain registrations, but with no restrictions and no "transfer out" fees. Thank you for your input.

We will create a page with a lock/unlock option and authorization retrieval program, which should be finished by the end of the day today.

Regards,

Jim Fellers
CEO
PowerPipe.com
Customer Support Team
512-248-0021
9am - 4pm CST M-F

CASE CLOSED !!!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So anyone else has problems moving domains away from Powerpipe?

Also, how on earth does one create a new account???

Kerry Jones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would contact a internet lawyer on the issue. It sounds to me like they can't handle the competition in the market, so they decide to lock it down. If your prepared to take a loss in the business they shouldn't have been in the business.

I mean you can't force customers to stay like this otherwise it creates tensions between them. I would defiantly insist on contacting a lawyer and prephaps legal action can be sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom