Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

discussion What do you register after .com is taken?

This is a general discussion thread revolving around the a topic of the original poster's choice.

What do you register after .com?

• Longer .com

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • .net

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • .org

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ccTLD for your country

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • New gTLD

• Nothing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People don't want to be educated on new Gs.

They want .com or ccTLD. I know @jmcc research would agree.
Yep. The new gTLDs are struggling at a country level. Some of the geo new gTLDs are OK in terms of renewal but even .COM struggles in the country markets where there is a strong ccTLD. The new registration volume per month for the ccTLDs in those markets is generally over twice that of .COM. This because most business is local and the local ccTLD is about as local as one can get (apart from a city/regional geo gTLD).

Regards...jmcc

Domain summit 2024

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What countries are these?

Yep. The new gTLDs are struggling at a country level. Some of the geo new gTLDs are OK in terms of renewal but even .COM struggles in the country markets where there is a strong ccTLD. The new registration volume per month for the ccTLDs in those markets is generally over twice that of .COM.

Yes, most people don't understand how much local business and search matters.

I ran to the small local hardware store to get copies of keys made. Can't do that online. 🔑🗝️

This because most business is local and the local ccTLD is about as local as one can get (apart from a city/regional geo gTLD).

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What countries are these?

Yes, most people don't understand how much local business and search matters.

I ran to the small local hardware store to get copies of keys made. Can't do that online. 🔑🗝️
The Irish market, the UK market and most of the other EU ccTLD markets. The .COM is lucky because it is the de facto US ccTLD (the .US is the official one).

Regards...jmcc

base

Level 3
Reaction score
I find ccTLDs with their meaningful counterparts in English as abbreviated terms quite interesting, like:

.cc ( to CC' someone)
.ai (artificial intelligence)
.ie (id est, to clarify a meaning)
.io (input/output)

and likely some more out there. Actually maybe a lot more since ccTLDs are always two characters and so many terms have abbreviated forms nowadays. VC as "venture capitalist" grew on me though never invested into it.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't care, .com is king. 👑

I find ccTLDs with their meaningful counterparts in English as abbreviated terms quite interesting, like:

.cc ( to CC' someone)
.ai (artificial intelligence)
.ie (id est, to clarify a meaning)
.io (input/output)

and likely some more out there. Actually maybe a lot more since ccTLDs are always two characters and so many terms have abbreviated forms nowadays. VC as "venture capitalist" grew on me though never invested into it.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
So the thread died because .com is king? If so, what was the point?

And how did I forget about .TV.. there's a powerhouse ccTLD if there ever was one.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So the thread died because .com is king? If so, what was the point?

And how did I forget about .TV.. there's a powerhouse ccTLD if there ever was one.

Yes because .com is king.

sativa5

Reaction score
If the .com isn't available and I want that exact word (no prefix or suffix) I'll go for .io ,now depending on the purpose or niche of this name ,if .io isn't available then .org/.net

base

Level 3
Reaction score
nothing says it better than .Online....ask any educated consumer.
You aren't serious..?? I'm not dissing .online, but any "educated consumer" immediately rolls to .com. Anyhow, your fallback is dot-online, very good. I know tons of sites that use "wordonline".com where I think shortening it to the new G' makes far more sense.

VortexAlpha

Level 1
Reaction score
Depending on if I am buying a domain for me or some client that we are working for. If it's possible it is also a good idea to buy a local domain if .com is occupied. But if you are operating globally, the .net isn't that bad as well.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depending on if I am buying a domain for me or some client that we are working for. If it's possible it is also a good idea to buy a local domain if .com is occupied. But if you are operating globally, the .net isn't that bad as well.

I've used .net for several websites.

Clover

Level 1
Reaction score
It just depends on what the domain is, for instant, LearnReligion would go better with .org than .io, but Web3Dev would go better with .io rather than .org

Also, .xyz is looking real good right now, and are only $1 for the first year, if the sales don't look good by the end of this year, list them on sav, then liquidate via forum if need be.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I look at what normal people use.

They use;

.com
ccTLDs
.net
.org

VortexAlpha

Level 1
Reaction score
Interested to know what domain extensions people register if the .com they want is taken?

I have my own preferences but I'm interested to hear others thoughts.
There are other good choices as well, sometimes even better than .com, like .net. .edu, .org, or some that are more closely related to some specific GEO, if that's where you will run your site as if you for example run a site in Canada, the extensions.ca may be more valuable than simple.com which can be used anywhere in the world.

base

Level 3
Reaction score
Sometimes I register domains even before the dot-com. Whaaat??

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators