Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

what do you think about .mobi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nowhere near as big as .eu.... It will have its squatters just like any TLD..

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi : another big biz for registrars and patetic tld for crazy squatters

ponce007

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Besides, a mobile phone I don't use any other mobile device and all I use it for is to make and receive calls. That's it.

But in 5 years time I might be doing a lot more with my mobile phones. I am talking about things that most people haven't even thought about.

That is what .mobi is all about.

I think...

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ponce007 said:
Besides, a mobile phone I don't use any other mobile device and all I use it for is to make and receive calls. That's it.

But in 5 years time I might be doing a lot more with my mobile phones. I am talking about things that most people haven't even thought about.

That is what .mobi is all about.

I think...

You are probably right, but I don't think it will be worth to run in the landrush this time.

DNA

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sad because i think .mobi will top every other. This is a busy age. People won't have time to carry and open a laptop while they travel. Even whenthey stay at home, they will start to feel bore to use a big comp than a mobile. I predict it would surpass everything.:rant:

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think owner of mobi.com is very-very lucky guy

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also wonder if this has any potential, with all the phones, pdas, blackberries supporting wireless internet browsing, etc.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
I think owner of mobi.com is very-very lucky guy

:greensmilewinkgrin: yeah, totally agree. i bet he wouldnt have ever predicted it

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The real question is, can the recording artist file a WIPO for every single .mobi name that is registered? :wink:

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it will take 2-5 years for this market to really show up, but once here it is going to do very well.

There is talk that web sites surfed via mobile devices will automatically load the .mobi sites not the .com

Also there will be strict coding needed for .mobi sites and when the site is not up to par then the owner will be warned, after 3 warnings the site will be suspended for a period of time, but never taken away.

This would make for much better/user friendly and really useful mobile visited sites. (who knows, I'm confident ppc will adapt to this market for parked sites)

Some of this is speculation, some is stuff I have read around the web and on news sites, etc...

:)

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't really like it. I think if it would catch on..it would be a good 5 years+ before it does. Mobile devices can access .com sites now with no probs. Better phones are being released all the time for faster internet browsing. We don't need another extension.

Most of your average internet users still don't know that the .info/.biz exists! I've even heard people say .us? what's that? why not .com?

Fredo

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .mobi extension has been created to differenciate a website designed for mobile devices from a normal one. It is an addition to the .com, not really a competitor. Regarding the trademarks, they need to have been registered before 2005, so the fake ones we have seen during the .eu landrush will not be valid for that one. The main problem I see with the .mobi is that you have to buy 2 years of registration minimum.

mistermouse63

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fredo said:
The main problem I see with the .mobi is that you have to buy 2 years of registration minimum.

I think thats only a temporary incentive to repel careless "investment". They create extentions such as .mobi for functional reasons, not for another wild landrush and endless registrations that are going to be dropped next year.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
The real question is, can the recording artist file a WIPO for every single .mobi name that is registered? :wink:

huh? :der: :der: :der:

ponce007

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if I am bidding at Pool.mobi, 2 years from now using my mobile phone from my private island.

OK...perhaps it won't be my private island...but you get the point.

I lost a good name at an auction at Pool.com because I was out of town driving on a highway and I remembered it like 5 minutes before the auction ended. I didn't know how to access Pool.com on my mobile (Is it even possible?).
So I called up my cousin who agreed to log in and bid for me....Except she forgot to refresh the browser and called me back 10 min later to tell me it still says 5 minutes left. :-(

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think more extensions only dilute all the extensions except for .com which continues to be obviously #1. .com is sort of like Microsoft Windows and the other extensions like Linux...for every distro of linux I see it only strengthens Windows and makes the linux distros weaker and weaker..sure people will download it and try it but in general it causes confusion in the public eye.

These extensions are just going to be worthless and more worthless as each is released. The value in a name is that it's desirable. If one day I need keyword.ext and I do a search for it..the .com is taken but I have a choice of .net, .org., .info, .us, .eu, .biz, .mobi, and who knows what else...there is damn good chance that one is available. So why should I buy 3rd party from a squatter/domainer a extension when I can get it for reg fee?

.com is king still and while I personally went through a stint of getting .us or info I feel that from now on I will only take .us or .info at reg fee otherwise it's a waste of my money.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this tld will flop... if I'm on a mobile device like a cell phone... I would prefer a 2-3 character extension then a huge 4 letter... I think it matters... sex.de or sex.mobi I just think its unncessary being that most devices comming out now are starting to have the speed and capabilities to handle normal websites and its a matter of time when all cells can. .mobi .eu same crap.... here's a news release for .tv when it was comming out endorsed by SEDO.... don't believe the hype.... I say no more

News Release
Wednesday 23 May 2001, 7:00 GMT Wednesday 23 May 2001
TECHNOLOGY
BUSINESS
SEDO

SEDO launches world's first dedicated .tv domain brokerage platform

Cologne, Germany. SEDO GmbH, the leading domain name brokerage in Europe has announced its launch of the world's first dedicated .tv domain name brokerage platform.

Considered a pioneer in the domain brokerage industry in Germany, SEDO has come a long way to become the market leader in Europe. Besides offering users a host of domain-related services, from domain escrows to domain appraisals, it now boasts of being the world's largest mega-search for domain offers, consisting of more than 1.7 million entries from all over the world.

Tim Schumacher, CEO of the Cologne-based startup, "We have been very impressed by the performance of The .tv Corporation. At the moment, we are already seeing the .tv extension gain widespread acceptance everywhere. There is no doubt that the .tv will very soon join the ranks of the .com, .net and .org as a globally accepted top level domain, and a domain of choice."

Lou Kerner, CEO of The .tv Corporation said, "We're very excited about SEDO. I believe the secondary domain market is going to become even more significant than it is today as the shortage of domain names becomes more and more acute with time. The arrival of SEDO, Europe's leading domain name brokerage, could not have been more timely than this."

About the .tv Corporation

The .tv Corporation (www.tv) is a leading global provider of Web identity services and the exclusive worldwide source for web addresses ending in .tv. The company provides domain name registration services and a suite of value-added products and services that enable customers to establish unique web identities. The company created this premier top-level domain so that companies, organizations and individuals can create the Internet brands and identities of the future. Inquiries can be made at the company's Web site, http://www.tv.

About SEDO

SEDO is the European market leader of domain brokerages. The German pioneer of the domain brokerage industry offers not only the world's largest Search Engine for Domain Offers (after which it was named), consisting of more than 1.7 million entries from all over the world, but also a host of other domain-related services ranging from domain appraisals to escrow services. SEDO's main investor is 1&1 Internet Ltd, a web hosting and domain registration company based in Uxbridge, London and the UK arm of 1&1 Internet AG based in Montabaur, Germany (a subsidiary of the German Internet giant, United Internet Group).

For more information, please visit http://www.sedo.tv

Distributed by PR Newswire on behalf of SEDO

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi another crappy extension. its longer than com and who cares typing so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom