Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What have you sacrificed for domaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Jedi said:
I used to look like Brad Pitt in the 'Legends of the Fall' movie.

Now I look like Gollum in his cave. :peep:

LOL. Must be the stress of domaining.

Domain Days 2024

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was a financial advisor.
I started in 1999 and by 2000 after the .com crack people were starting to lose money and on forums they came with the same comments.....trading is addiction like gambling, smoking, etc...

Lately I heard on radio that people can be addicted to anything, even sex.

And I agree: when you do something too much, you are addicted.

The real question is: is that good ? If you answer yes and you are sane then who cares? Just go ahead. If your answer is no, then have a break, stop, think, breath.....LIVE.

My wife tells me I spend too much time on the computer and not enought time with her. I have to make time for her or I will lose her. Certainly my wife is more important than domaining or money so it`s not an hard choice for me.

I`m just 30, still a lot to learn from life. And a lot to see. Domaining is just a step and just a part of my life.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for sharing your story ItalianDragon.

DNbulk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No sacrifices but life is surely changing.....

Minutes before I sleep at night you still see me with a laptop in bed checking different auctions, boards and any other possible deal I may miss while I am useless asleep for 6 hours. (I heard other have sex instead....hmmm).

So now, instead of a spontaneous "quicky" with my girl friend the next morning, I now run to turn on the pc even before I hit the bathroom. I might have missed something during the 6 hours I slept, so this way I make up time........

A Romantic dinner means I move my keyboard, mouse, cigarettes and ashtray to the right of my desk to find some space for my BigMac, the Coke can gets a straw and the TV show "Current" by Google" is running in the background......

I don't care anymore where the cruise will go to as long my cabin has wireless internet available.........

Does this go too far ....???? Do I need to be worried ? ;-)

scizza

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
Rick Schwartz said in an article that not one moment of his life is owed to anyone...something like that. He also said that any moron can find work for himself and tie up his time.

I disagree with that....He owes his life to who invented the domain/internet! He was in the right place at the right time. If he created the idea (which he did not), then yes, he would not have to thank or owe anybody. Without it, he would be working a 9 to 5 job like the avg american.

Here is an example: Just because someone sells millions of dollars in stocks, does not mean that he created the stock market!!! The seller is just benefiting from doing a job well or being in the right place at the right time.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick did not create the internet but he sure pointed out the obvious to allot of people. People to this day are missing the boat on what traffic is and Rick had allot to do with expressing the topic and bringing domain'ing into the limelight. He was surely in the right place at the right time but I wish I could tell you I had the same vision. I was sitting in front of a computer in the 90's and I just didn't know why I should register a domain name. I remember looking at some names that were available on Network Solutions and thinking wow $50 is expensive for realestate.com. LOL. Of course it wasn't that name but there were some good ones available. Now, I uderstand a little more about the business. Cheers,

Acro

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
Rick did not create the internet but he sure pointed out the obvious to allot of people. People to this day are missing the boat on what traffic is and Rick had allot to do with expressing the topic and bringing domain'ing into the limelight. He was surely in the right place at the right time but I wish I could tell you I had the same vision. I was sitting in front of a computer in the 90's and I just didn't know why I should register a domain name. I remember looking at some names that were available on Network Solutions and thinking wow $50 is expensive for realestate.com. LOL. Of course it wasn't that name but there were some good ones available. Now, I uderstand a little more about the business. Cheers,

Acro

Lol. How many of us would be millionaires if we could set the clock back to 95-96. God, I WISH!

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've sacrificed a lot; often times I am very stupid with my money and go buy a website that I don't have the time to further develop, etc.

Malaysia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well sleep time i guess but i sorta turn my time a little coz i am from malaysia..n its diffrent time here than in the us.. so i am suppose to sleep while most of u are up .. but i extended my sleep time a bit..

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
scizza said:
I disagree with that....He owes his life to who invented the domain/internet! He was in the right place at the right time. If he created the idea (which he did not), then yes, he would not have to thank or owe anybody. Without it, he would be working a 9 to 5 job like the avg american.

Here is an example: Just because someone sells millions of dollars in stocks, does not mean that he created the stock market!!! The seller is just benefiting from doing a job well or being in the right place at the right time.

Rick Schwartz wasn't saying that he invented domain names, he was just stating that because of his domain business he is free to do what he wants...when he wants.

For instance, if he wants to sleep in until noon tomorrow he can do that without calling his boss. That's the point. He took advantage of the opportunity and he is reaping the rewards.

Those who wish it was 1995 again so they could be millionaires are missing the point. There are thousands of names that are great names...it's not too late to get a few. If you step up to the plate and pay a few thousand for a name you will be much better off than trying to re-invent the language with names that aren't even words.

If you get some great names in the next few years you will be on easy street. You won't have to answer to anyone.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Jedi said:
I used to look like Brad Pitt in the 'Legends of the Fall' movie.

Now I look like Gollum in his cave. :peep:

haha...I think I look more like Gollum but on the web I tell people I look like Brad Pitt...go figure.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me it's not domaining, it's this damn forum. Now that I've found this forum I probably spend 4 times as many hours "working" on domains.

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Time with my wife and kid, but if I never spent time on domaining, I wouldn't be were I am now financially. Which in turn has made my life with my family alot better. So the sacrifice of the time lost with my wife has paid off and now I am making money AND spending more time with them :eek:k:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom