Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What host will allow me to host the most wordpress installations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradingnames.org

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a lot of domain names and I would like to put a small site on each using wordpress, but I am finding that a lot of hosts are limiting the amount of domains I can have wordpress installed on, not because of the disk space or bandwidth I would require (they would be new small sites and would not require that much for a good while) but because of the drain on server resources each wordpress installation will cause, hostgator and blue host have told me I could have around 10-15 wordpress installations max per shared account, which if you have a couple of hundred domain names could be quite expensive if they are not generating the traffic to cover the cost, if they get to the stage where they require more bandwidth and disk space I will happily pay for it as they ought to be generating the money to cover that cost. Another user on another forum said they have seen people run 90 wordpress installations each on a separate domain on a $10 a month account, I would happily pay for a couple of them if I could find them. So what host will allow me to host the most number of domains each with wordpress on them? I am not really bothered if it’s a shared or reseller account I am just after the most cost effective option. I don’t really want to pay for dedicated yet as I don’t think they will be making the money to cover the cost of that just yet.

Many thanks in advance

John

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
go for a vps account - not as expensive as a dedicated but it gets you much more space and options than any shared host.

Arizal

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in theory dreamhost would allow that,and is quite comfortable, too.
in practice they can be kinda ugly when it comes to high traffic volumes on shared hosting (you could change to a VPS then, but they are not the cheapest for this) and when it comes to spam complaints, whether you did spam for real or not.

I am in the same situation as you and currently at dreamhost. I really like the interface and how stuff works, the one click installer for wordpress is a great help and the customer support is friendly. Unless you get a spam complaint or overuse the resources of shared hosting: while you have unlimited bandwidth and disk space, you don't have unlimited ram and cpu resources. if a site of your uses too much of them, they will shut it down. if they find a security hole, they will shut it down and leave fixing it to you. if somebody complains about you for something like "spam" they will rather take the side of the complaining party (I had such a case for a normal, personalized link exchange request) if you want to throw up hundreds of sites - such as me - there might be many persons pissed of seeing you entering the SERPs...

So, I cam to the conclusion that a VPS with some IPs will be good. When traffic grows you can just upgrade to a dedicated server.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
get a reseller account at Hostgator.....$24.95 a month
You can create many accounts then and put a blog on each...

tradingnames.org

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I asked hostgator how many wordpress blogs I could roughly host on a reseller account without the server resources been a problem and they said the same as the shared hosting account which is 10-15. When I asked what kind of VPS I would need to host say 100 wordpress blogs they said something between their VPS levels 7-9, level 7 starts at $150 a month which for that you may as well get dedicated. I really don’t think I am going to find a host that will let me host 90 wordpress blogs for $10 a month or even anything close to that, personally I thought that sounded a bit too good to be true, but I just had to check, is it possible to find anything even close to that?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kspd

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a dedicated server from theplanet.com and pay about $230 a month for it. It currently has about 80 wordpress sites on it.
install a cache plugin on each one like wp-supercache. It will significantly reduce the load on your server.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Almost all the hosting providers would allow you to install Wordpress.

Look for Fantastico script which would let you installl wordpress in seconds.

Hostmonster, bluehost, justhost are good.

alloo

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are many hosting providers that you can get a reseller account for as low as $5/month if you buy a couple of years at a time. You can then have almost unlimited sites on them. There is automated wordpress installation software that is better than Fantastico because the plugins/initial posts/settings/ can be installed much much faster.

Electric Star

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Outside the box thought:

Would it help the issue to install Wordpress MU, have whatever number of blogs in one database, then map the domain names to those individual blogs? There might be a reason why this might not work, but it would mean having only one copy of WP on the host rather than multiple ones.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/14074

XSV

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a lot of domain names and I would like to put a small site on each using wordpress, but I am finding that a lot of hosts are limiting the amount of domains I can have wordpress installed on, not because of the disk space or bandwidth I would require (they would be new small sites and would not require that much for a good while) but because of the drain on server resources each wordpress installation will cause, hostgator and blue host have told me I could have around 10-15 wordpress installations max per shared account, which if you have a couple of hundred domain names could be quite expensive if they are not generating the traffic to cover the cost, if they get to the stage where they require more bandwidth and disk space I will happily pay for it as they ought to be generating the money to cover that cost. Another user on another forum said they have seen people run 90 wordpress installations each on a separate domain on a $10 a month account, I would happily pay for a couple of them if I could find them. So what host will allow me to host the most number of domains each with wordpress on them? I am not really bothered if it’s a shared or reseller account I am just after the most cost effective option. I don’t really want to pay for dedicated yet as I don’t think they will be making the money to cover the cost of that just yet.

Many thanks in advance

John

I don't get their response on 10-15, it doesn't make much sense. You could have 100 x 5 page mini Wordpress "parked" sites that use far less resources than one blog that is active and constantly updating from feeds and loaded with plugins. As to the other suggestion, depending on the type of blogs they will be MU could be a good way to go to help with organizing them for you.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check www.webew.com for free wordpress, hosted in cloud computing server, scalability is not a problem.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
webew is using mu

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you can using mudev plug-ins.

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure you're getting the right info with Hostgator. I have them and only about 8 wordpress blogs so far and plan on adding more but I have the Baby Plan at about $10 a month and it says unlimited bandwidth, unlimited disk space, unlimited domains etc. Don't see anywhere that it limits how many wordpress installations you can have.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is rarely about the number of installations or websites, or domains. It comes down to CPU and RAM, which means your traffic times number of installations times complexity of resources needed. For 100 basic WP sites, you can likely get a couple shared hosting accounts and be fine. Two different hosts would be prudent.

I'm assuming your domains are low traffic, and you would put up a WP blog that will end up getting 3-5K average monthly traffic maximum without promotion. If you expect heavy traffic on each, you'd need a VPS or dedicated.

XSV

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
will wordpress MU work for this? has anyone used wordpress MU?

Yes, Wordpress MU will do this.

Check http://mu.wordpress.org/ for more info. With version 3.0 they will be merging Wordpress and WordpressMU into one product, so this function will in there as a standard feature now.

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look into VPS or Reseller accounts. Monitoring bandwidth and disk usage on a weekly basis is a "must do". This is common practice, don't leave the sites on auto pilot. As long as you remain within the limits you should be fine. If you start to approach 82 percent of bandwidth then look into upgrading the package. Of course, if you reach this lets hope you are making money on these sites allowing you to adjust your cash flow to expenses. Domain parking is good for a while, but you already understand that a website, done correctly, can produce more. Give each domain a unique theme and content niche that might be better managed by MU. I'm looking at MU, but haven't implemented yet. Oh...careful with multiple WP installs. If unchecked, the hacker bots are just waiting to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom