Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

opinion What is a "Struggle Session" and why we should avoid them at DNForum

This is an opinion held by the original poster regarding the material discussed in the first post of the thread, be it domain name related or not.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are duplicate accounts here allowed?
Yes. I don't see, at this time, why a duplicate account cannot be had for as long as it's not a person engaged in nefarious activities.

What if you have an unpopular opinion? You could only face a mob in one of two ways: Put your personal or business account's name on your opinion. That's toxic as it forces you to speak up or shut up. One could easily see why, in today's culture, someone would not want to speak up under a personal or business account. So why not allow multiple accounts?
You did delete the Alexa thread here, threatened members with bans, removed posts.
Let me clear the air for you before I continue here: Rob does not delete anything. Rob does not moderate anything. Rob does not tell me what to delete. If you want to get DNForum staff involved in a particular matter on the forum, tag us all with @Staff.

I deleted the thread, but it is archived for you to read and to make opinions on here or in the Suggestions forum.

Without checking whether the NamePros vs. DNForum data was true or false, I made a new thread with my reply.
I did not care what was being compared, just that someone and maybe the community might be interested in a comparison. The simple fact is that the correction was made and we could've swiftly moved on to my hypothesis, or, the original topic. However, it seemed like the people would want to relish pointing out the "lie" (mistake) instead of moving on. Therefore, it was my decision to ax the entire thread.

If you feel that we need a "NamePros ranks higher than DNForum on Alexa" thread, feel free to post one. I won't delete it as it will be on-topic.

Domain summit 2024

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
They posted they banned that one person because of duplicate accounts
You might have noticed that everything done usually has a "good explanation" of why it needs to be done that way. Pretty much always. And I'm not talking only of NP here. It doesn't necessarily mean the given explanation is valid, accurate, or even remotely true.

The problem is that dishonest people will also give you dishonest reasons for their actions.

So, for NP here, maybe it is the case, but there are chances it isn't. Please keep this in mind. (Also keep in mind a banned person can't say anything anymore where they were banned. They can't say the reason of their ban is a lie).

I keep saying a forum has two assets.... it's members and it's content, the job of the platform is to encourage both to thrive.
I totally agree with you.
A very nice sentence, even better than the whole post which was already very good 👍

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This came across my playlist. I felt it was necessary to share as it is one of our two rules.
Joe Rogan said:
It's good to treat other people the way you would like to be treated yourself. It's like a f****g golden rule and there's a reason for it and that reason is that we're connected in some strange way that we don’t totally understand. Unless you are good to other people around you, unless you're kind, and friendly, and warm, and loving, you're not going to f*****g enjoy this life, you're just not. You're gonna be problems everywhere you go, you're gonna have problems everywhere you go, you gotta figure out a way to enjoy this f*****g life. This is not because of anybody that may or may not have existed. It's because that's how you fit in better in the world, that's how you stay positive. And it doesn't have to be some s**t that was written 5000 years ago on f******g animal skins, that doesn't have to be the golden rule because it's old. You know, that's dumb.
You know who you are, on both sides of the coin.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This came across my playlist. I felt it was necessary to share as it is one of our two rules.

You know who you are, on both sides of the coin.

Being kind and treating others as you want to be treated is a good rule. When you begin a conversation with questions, followed with accusations, you should at least have the decency to be honest about who you are.

I believe in the golden rule and appreciate blunt honesty. Some situations require patience others are better handled directly. If you're going to ask questions, be prepared to answer a few.

There may be times when keeping your identity is needed, my blunt politics has certainly affected my business but I'm not going to hide. It takes about 5 seconds to find my name and address.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JennBlogger was trying to point out the hypocrisy between being honest, supporting free speech and censorship. She thinks Rob is a hypocrite and I'm a liar.

She came to this forum from NP, asking questions about peoples identity and use of double accounts while concealing her own.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
JennBlogger was trying to point out the hypocrisy between being honest, supporting free speech and censorship. She thinks Rob is a hypocrite and I'm a liar.

She came to this forum from NP, asking questions about peoples identity and use of double accounts while concealing her own.
Maybe She is Molly White :D

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
If you want to know what music listens to and crypto uses that Kirtaner hacker let me know and i will tell in the public. :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. I don't see, at this time, why a duplicate account cannot be had for as long as it's not a person engaged in nefarious activities.

What if you have an unpopular opinion? You could only face a mob in one of two ways: Put your personal or business account's name on your opinion. That's toxic as it forces you to speak up or shut up. One could easily see why, in today's culture, someone would not want to speak up under a personal or business account. So why not allow multiple accounts?
Hi,
on the matter of a user having more than one account....
currently, the TOS states:

You agree to create only a single account. This includes banned accounts, accounts created on behalf of business entities, and any other account that may be created by a single entity

User accounts are for exclusive use by the individual or entity that created the account; they are not "owned" by anyone. You agree to not license, transfer, sell, or assign your user account without written approval from Dnforum.com Management. You are responsible for your password and the activity that occurs through your account. User accounts may not be used by multiple people without written approval from Dnforum.com Management. With the exception of people or businesses that are expressly authorized to create accounts on behalf of their employers or clients, the creation of an account for anyone other than yourself is prohibited.

that rule is an effective measure to guard against confusion, fraud, shill bidding, etc.

imo...

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think up to 3 accounts should be allowed as long as they are open to who they are.

ie: I might want my MapleDots account but I might also want a personal account where I can speak more about politics and things I do not wish to mix with my business account.

Then there is the fact that my son is now into domaining so eventually he will want an account and that will show with the same ip address.

Three accounts should be the most any household needs so I don't think more would ever be required.

One rule I would make is the accounts should never be allowed to engage in the same topic unless you have registered an account for your son. But the same person engaging in a topic under two different accounts should have one suspended and that one is usually the newer account.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, @Biggie. It was said more in a discussion-like manner, not cementing it as fact. Getting a lot of feedback on that so far.

I do appreciate you pointing that out though as many things have changed and that side of the house definitely needs some polishing.
that rule is an effective measure to guard against confusion, fraud, shill bidding, etc.
That's why I added this though:
as long as it's not a person engaged in nefarious activities.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's why I added this though:
Hi

even adding that sentence, gives impression that it's okay to have more than 1 account.
you don't want to provide an opportunity for "nefarious activities" to occur.

that would also hurt the integrity of the forum and potentially put the whole community in jeopardy.

imo....

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you don't want to provide an opportunity for "nefarious activities" to occur.
This is ONE way to view things. Which may already be to assume a little from the start that such actions (creating multiple accounts) "must probably be" with nefarious intentions. Then it's the good ol' "restrict freedom for everybody because a few may use this freedom the wrong way".

And a whole too much of this thinking gives us the sh!tty world we're living in today. Where the people with that kind of thinking believing there isn't enough done and more freedom should be restricted :confused:

I far prefer the way Amplify was initially thinking about the matter above. Even if it isn't without potential problems (definite proofs for some that freedom is bad and should be restricted!), but that's how it is. Don't penalize everybody for the few bad behaviors, IMHO (this problem is very wide, far beyond the multi accounts thing on this forum. But maybe it is a [good] start. And something you actually have under your control).

IMO...
No offence.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggie. The only use case for two accounts is a business, then only for a manager. Other employees could access the business account or open their own and make their association clear.

2 cents.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is ONE way to view things. Which may already be to assume a little from the start that such actions (creating multiple accounts) "must probably be" with nefarious intentions. Then it's the good ol' "restrict freedom for everybody because a few may use this freedom the wrong way".

And a whole too much of this thinking gives us the sh!tty world we're living in today. Where the people with that kind of thinking believing there isn't enough done and more freedom should be restricted :confused:

I far prefer the way Amplify was initially thinking about the matter above. Even if it isn't without potential problems (definite proofs for some that freedom is bad and should be restricted!), but that's how it is. Don't penalize everybody for the few bad behaviors, IMHO (this problem is very wide, far beyond the multi accounts thing on this forum. But maybe it is a [good] start. And something you actually have under your control).

IMO...
No offence.
Hi

DNForum.com, is a place to buy and sell domain names, period!
all discussions surrounding that subject, are secondary.

as with any social community, there has to be restrictions and prohibitions.
you, as a user, have the freedom to join and are obligated to adhere to guidelines, when you acknowledge/accept the agreement.
one can't just do whatever they want, just because they think they got freedom.
ie:
freedom to post in other members sales threads
freedom to post domains that don't meet buyers criteria in domains wanted threads.
freedom to post comments in a members sales thread that could be detrimental to a sale.

the majority of registered members would agree, that having more than one account, would lead to confusion and conflicts.
then staff would have to deal with those issues, which could become problematic, should high dollar amounts be involved.
who wants to deals with those consequences?
in the 19 years i've been a member here, this is first time such irrational thinking has been brought up.

imo...

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
have the freedom to join and are obligated to adhere to guidelines, when you acknowledge/accept the agreement.
one can't just do whatever they want, just because they think they got freedom.
Frankly, that's not a very honest answer. It is true, but I never talked of each user doing whatever he wants.
It was about which rules and guidelines are put in place. There is quite a difference.

The end of your post proves my point. As Mr-x did with his. But sure, it is one way to view it, and probably a valid one.
Less freedom equals less problems for the staff to deal with. Ok. This was the whole rationale for less freedom on a global scale I was talking about. And there is IMHO a lack of desire of freedom from many , these days. They don't see the use. Why the hell would you want more freedom, they think. Why not. The same goes for privacy, btw.

Temporary accounts to say some things anonymously, or not linked to his main account, which was the advanced reason of the ban of the account at NP which raised this topic, may be a valid use in my view. For example.
A private more relaxed account and a corporate more serious one could be another example. A "transaction" dedicated account and a more "discussion" oriented one, especially when you may have views which will quickly be labelled as "irrational thinking never seen before" may another one ;)

But all in all, I agree, one and only account is more simple and maybe preferable. No problem.
Amplify may also have a little given an answer to contradict NP policy and what was asked when the subject has been raised.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frankly, that's not a very honest answer. It is true, but I never talked of each user doing whatever he wants.
It was about which rules and guidelines are put in place. There is quite a difference.

The end of your post proves my point. As Mr-x did with his. But sure, it is one way to view it, and probably a valid one.
Less freedom equals less problems for the staff to deal with. Ok. This was the whole rationale for less freedom on a global scale I was talking about. And there is IMHO a lack of desire of freedom from many , these days. They don't see the use. Why the hell would you want more freedom, they think. Why not. The same goes for privacy, btw.

Temporary accounts to say some things anonymously, or not linked to his main account, which was the advanced reason of the ban of the account at NP which raised this topic, may be a valid use in my view. For example.
A private more relaxed account and a corporate more serious one could be another example. A "transaction" dedicated account and a more "discussion" oriented one, especially when you may have views which will quickly be labelled as "irrational thinking never seen before" may another one ;)

But all in all, I agree, one and only account is more simple and maybe preferable. No problem.
Amplify may also have a little given an answer to contradict NP policy and what was asked when the subject has been raised.

You can buy a second account at NP for $10 / month. There is no doubt who you are to the staff / moderators. That is not anonymous.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You can buy a second account at NP for $10 / month. There is no doubt who you are to the staff / moderators. That is not anonymous.
Oh, they do this!? I looks like it's all very much about money, here.
You may want to stay anonymous to the other participants and it's OK the staff knows. They are supposed to keep it for themselves. Or there could even be a mechanism in place to allow anonymous posting. This does exist (sometimes restricted to members, or established enough members).

It's a lot about what is put in place, depending of the vision of the people doing it.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, they do this!? I looks like it's all very much about money, here.
You may want to stay anonymous to the other participants and it's OK the staff knows. They are supposed to keep it for themselves. Or there could even be a mechanism in place to allow anonymous posting. This does exist (sometimes restricted to members, or established enough members).

It's a lot about what is put in place, depending of the vision of the people doing it.

From what I remember, multiple accounts come with a gold account. I don't the exact process but it is a monthly feed.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, multiple accounts come with a gold account. I don't the exact process but it is a monthly feed.

Gold accounts: Allowed a separate free or Blue account (1 non-Gold per person) for $99 / year.

Basically a business account and a personal account.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators