Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What's Happening .today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll be glad when the gtlds are all played out one way or another, just so I don't have to read any more terrible puns :p

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll be glad when the gtlds are all played out one way or another, just so I don't have to read any more terrible puns :p

Or you can jump on the bandwagon for as long as it lasts and have some fun! Come on, you know you want to!

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Donuts will be going Chapter 11 at the end of the fiscal year, because they don't have not one .whatever that makes .sense.....

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Donuts will be going Chapter 11 at the end of the fiscal year, because they don't have not one .whatever that makes .sense.....

This and some other posts are going to be legendary ;-)

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Hey! Come on, they've got .guru, .rental, .vacations, .condos, .expert, .loans! All of these are great. There is a lot that can be done with these.

With a little .marketing all of these extensions can make .cool .domains!

I can't stop. Smack me somebody I just can't stop.:p

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about their flooding the marketplace with all these extensions...none of which seem to be individually supported and marketed properly. I give credit to .club for their effort. They kept it simple by being the registrar for the one extension. They can focus their attention on their one product.

Regarding .today, I see it being viable for certain applications...most notable being news or geo related. Other than that, limited usage may indicated limited shelf life. Essentially, that is what drives my decision to buy or not to buy. If I do not see a broad or very wide application coverage for the extension, I tend to stay away from those. I want broad usage and global applications rather than narrow, small market usage.

JudisFather

forget about it.. :)
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Game has changed .com will be like AM channel it's there but nobody using it, they use FM..
don't reject internet civilization.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about their flooding the marketplace with all these extensions...none of which seem to be individually supported and marketed properly. I give credit to .club for their effort. They kept it simple by being the registrar for the one extension. They can focus their attention on their one product.

Regarding .today, I see it being viable for certain applications...most notable being news or geo related. Other than that, limited usage may indicated limited shelf life. Essentially, that is what drives my decision to buy or not to buy. If I do not see a broad or very wide application coverage for the extension, I tend to stay away from those. I want broad usage and global applications rather than narrow, small market usage.

The end-user couldn't care less about that. If a website has good content / products people will go to it. They won't suddenly scream "OMG it's a TLD with low registration numbers, lets get out of here !" :)

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Loupe has a point! End users with really great websites are going to be set regardless, in fact you could even argue that their site will be even more memorable if they have a unique extension.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The end-user couldn't care less about that. If a website has good content / products people will go to it. They won't suddenly scream "OMG it's a TLD with low registration numbers, lets get out of here !" :)
Numbers...that was not even really the point. You missed it.

I could care less about numbers of registrations. I focus on applications and large, broad, worldwide global markets when I consider buying new TLD's. If I think there is a tiny market, I tend to stay away.

Numbers don't affect my decisions. (perceived) Market size is my consideration.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, i thought it was heading to numbers again, i know you're like me and not into number of registrations :) But in general what i wanted to say is that a domain.tld with great products / service can go big, even if it is in a little niche. For a registry depending only on such little niche tld or a couple it's not good ofcourse. So if i was investing in the creation of new TLDs i'd only do it if i had enough funds for a bag of tlds or a 1 or more exceptional tlds. Maybe on the longterm even a small niche tld can grow enough to bring in money for the registry but until then they need to survive. (still doesn't mean if they go bankrupt the tld will disappear, ICANN has made strict provisions for that and it'll simply be taken over by another company)

PS: I was reading a great article on thedomains about cisco predicting there will be 1.5 Billion more internet users by 2018. That's good news for the maturing domain industry.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PS: I was reading a great article on thedomains about cisco predicting there will be 1.5 Billion more internet users by 2018. That's good news for the maturing domain industry.
No, that doesn't mean the demand for domain will increase that much. Even in developed countries the vast majority of people don't own one single domain, not that they couldn't make use of a domain, but they don't see the point.

You don't need a domain name to use the Internet, but you an IPv4 (shortage !) or v6 address. In practice the demand for domain names will mostly be driven by businesses getting online or enhancing their existing online presence.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, that doesn't mean the demand for domain will increase that much. Even in developed countries the vast majority of people don't own one single domain, not that they couldn't make use of a domain, but they don't see the point.

You don't need a domain name to use the Internet, but you an IPv4 (shortage !) or v6 address. In practice the demand for domain names will mostly be driven by businesses getting online or enhancing their existing online presence.

You just can't imagine that there will be people with good ideas, inventions, businesses to get online among those NEW 1500000000 users ? Are you serious ? And you are into domaining ? Claiming that without blinking or letting a tear go ? ;-)

Babe, this is not the 90's anymore, wake up and smell the new world ! :)

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You just can't imagine that there will be people with good ideas, inventions, businesses to get online among those NEW 1500000000 users ? Are you serious ? And you are into domaining ? Claiming that without blinking or letting a tear go ? ;-)

Nice way to talk to one of the most knowledgeable domainers on this Forum.....

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'm sure people in 3rd world countries (which are most of the 'users' you are referring to as there is a 'baby boom' among them) are waking up everyday and saying, "Hey, let me go buy a computer, get a satellite internet connection and get online to start ecommerce. It only makes sense. This is my ticket out of here." ... "Wait. I don't have power."

But hey, if they have dial up and like she said, assigned a IPv4 address, all they need to do is setup a free *nix installation with Apache and hand out numbers, instead of domain names, if they really want to cut costs... bother. o_O

Your assumption is that all the sudden the world economy will flip and these new babies won't drain it, but add to it. It's fundamentally flawed. Of course katherine knows domaining. I just don't think you realize what economics are.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well then you stick with the knowledgeables telling you 1+1=3 :) And i actually like K's posts from time to time but doesn't mean i have to always agree or like what is being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom