Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What's Happening .today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm sure people in 3rd world countries (which are most of the 'users' you are referring to as there is a 'baby boom' among them) are waking up everyday and saying, "Hey, let me go buy a computer, get a satellite internet connection and get online to start ecommerce. It only makes sense. This is my ticket out of here." ... "Wait. I don't have power."

But hey, if they have dial up and like she said, assigned a IPv4 address, all they need to do is setup a free *nix installation with Apache and hand out numbers, instead of domain names, if they really want to cut costs... bother. o_O

Your assumption is that all the sudden the world economy will flip and these new babies won't drain it, but add to it. It's fundamentally flawed. Of course katherine knows domaining. I just don't think you realize what economics are.

I didn't talk about the IP space i specifically said it's good news for the maturing domain industry. Maybe you also missed what google and facebook are planning with bringing internet to the rest of the world.
Also i didn't say anything about "sudden" or "flipping", start learning to read before replying instead of polluting the thread with bullshit.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well then you stick with the knowledgeables telling you 1+1=3 :) And i actually like K's posts from time to time but doesn't mean i have to always agree or like what is being said.
That is soooo last years business knowledge. Keep up. Everyone knows 2+2=5. o_O

I didn't talk about the IP space i specifically said it's good news for the maturing domain industry. Maybe you also missed what google and facebook are planning with bringing internet to the rest of the world.
Also i didn't say anything about "sudden" or "flipping", start learning to read before replying instead of polluting the thread with bullshit.
So you're saying we don't need domains because Google and Facebook are going around handing out free internet and they're going to take over the namespace as well by whateveryouwant.google? :rolleyes:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MODS: Where you at? This is getting out of control. Loupe violated rule [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] by saying, "start learning to read before replying instead of polluting the thread with bullshit". I feel this was a personal attack against my learning disorder. Please ban him before he continues to rage on against other users.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MODS: Where you at? This is getting out of control. Loupe violated rule [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] by saying, "start learning to read before replying instead of polluting the thread with bullshit". I feel this was a personal attack against my learning disorder. Please ban him before he continues to rage on against other users.

Haha, leave the mods alone and get back to what this thread is about; learning to agree to disagree ! ;)

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well stop the personal attacks, back your statements up, sound knowledgeable in the realm that you speak and maybe people will take you seriously. As for now, you sound like an unintelligent domainer who is about to spend all his money .today on gTLD's that don't make sense. If that's the case without reading, comprehending and following the .tips & .feedback of some of the .best people in this industry, go for it. Just don't come back when you .fail and .gripe, cause they'll say, "I told you so" and bring up the thread .link from the graveyard to rub it in your face.

Ok, enough with the dot puns. Just kidding: .xyz :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Haha, leave the mods alone and get back to what this thread is about; learning to agree to disagree ! ;)

this thread is really about hope.

hoping.... there will be a viable future for .fiddlesticks

now, anybody know reg fee for .pray?

:)

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.I .will .buy .you .dinner .if .these .new .tlds .fail .within .5 .years ! :)

Don't have any .xyz myself, don't believe in that tld. I stick to the core of making sense on the left and right of the dot :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You just can't imagine that there will be people with good ideas, inventions, businesses to get online among those NEW 1500000000 users ? Are you serious ? And you are into domaining ? Claiming that without blinking or letting a tear go ? ;-)
Yes, I am serious. Sad I know, because I think every tech-savvy person living in an developed country should own a domain name.
You can use your own domain name for E-mail, for your personal website/blog if you have one, it can yours as long as you want, so you don't have to depend on a free service or your ISP.
Yet, we are in 2014 and few people seem to bother. You know, even domainers use gmail... The Internet is not new, if the masses still don't see the point of owning a domain today, how is that going to change ?
Demand will naturally continue to increase but it's not like the growth is going to be exponential. But as usual there will be no demand for garbage.
Just to clarify: the majority of Internet users will not buy a domain name, because they don't need one.

Did you know that many African extensions have just a few thousands or even hundreds of registrations (even fewer than 100 if you consider Eritrea). Plenty of established extensions are far from saturated.

We need a definition of failure or success. The registries may be viable financially (but many will fail nonetheless), while failing to capture the interest of end users.
But what we are seeing is stuff like this:
  • .xxx: shunned by the adult industry (like all industry-specific extensions in fact)
  • .xyz .wtf .: TLDs that look like jokes and don't seem to have a well defined market, or clear use
  • .cam .camera .photo .photography .etc: extensions that compete against each other
I think icann's behavior is cynical and downright criminal here. They rake in the money and don't care about the mess they've done.
This industry is run by fools selling to other fools.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Don't have any .xyz myself, don't believe in that tld. I stick to the core of making sense on the left and right of the dot :)

You never specified which ones. I will assume anything released prior to June 11th, 2014. Neither did you accept how much will fail within 5 years. I see a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; or a B average student, a failure. This means if 20% or more fail, you owe me dinner. You also never specified how much you will spend on dinner. I have a taste for caviar and Moet. Trust and believe, if you're still around and haven't bankrupt yourself in 5 years, I will dig this thread up and you will owe me the best dinner of my life. Of course, with a girl. You never said I can't invite anyone or share my meal with her as you did stipulate "your" which is singular, but the table may cost more. I've been known to have a 4 figure dinner tab once or twice in my life. If these gTLD's don't bankrupt you, your dinner proposal will. That's a written contract.

Edit: Plus what katherine just said about what failure is.

Good luck kiddo.

Anyway, this thread has been derailed enough .today. Anything worthy of talking about this gTLD or can we wrap it up as a doomed domain in 5 years?

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there's only so much money to go around - investors (or potential investors) will pick and choose only the best extension to spend their money on. These micro niche extensions only make sense for a handful of names and the rest are just a waste of money.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should underestimate the power of hard copy advertising: newspaper and magazine adverts, van tailgates, billboards etc.

What would make you respond more readily to a visual ad: joinmyscheme2makemoney.com or howtoget.rich?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should underestimate the power of hard copy advertising: newspaper and magazine adverts, van tailgates, billboards etc.

What would make you respond more readily to a visual ad: joinmyscheme2makemoney.com or howtoget.rich?
why are those the only two options? howtoget.rich will cost $2500 at minimum (this is what the registry charges for .rich domains). for that cost you could get a good .com or anything else.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a real business those renewals are tax write offs :) For a domainer i can imagine that's alot indeed. But the end-users you see paying good money for domains aren't worried about renewal fees when running a good business.
So this is just another battle of domainers vs domainers (read: investors vs investors) who have different views.

PS: if a business stands or falls with renewal fees then it's best to go for burger flipping anyway.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a real business those renewals are tax write offs :) For a domainer i can imagine that's alot indeed. But the end-users you see paying good money for domains aren't worried about renewal fees when running a good business.
So this is just another battle of domainers vs domainers (read: investors vs investors) who have different views.

PS: if a business stands or falls with renewal fees then it's best to go for burger flipping anyway.
you keep telling yourself that. my point was that you can get a good .com for the same price.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GTlds are like religion, politics, or diet - you are never going to convince the true believers to change their minds. I wish them all luck, but I've been around here long enough to know the ending. Just don't get embarrassed and leave the forum later, some of the best learning follows a big fall. I say this as someone that has wasted plenty of money to earn my education, and I still blow more than I should on marginal names.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another issue for those new businesses that want to use the new extension is they will have to spend as much time and money in advertising/promoting the new extension as the name itself. It will take 5 - 10 years until the average person has even heard of these new extensions... if at all.

As it is now, if you ask an average person to name as many extensions as they can they will most likely only come up with 5 - 8.

If you don't think this is true... just keep drinking the kool-aid

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about their flooding the marketplace with all these extensions...none of which seem to be individually supported and marketed properly. I give credit to .club for their effort. They kept it simple by being the registrar for the one extension. They can focus their attention on their one product.

Regarding .today, I see it being viable for certain applications...most notable being news or geo related. Other than that, limited usage may indicated limited shelf life. Essentially, that is what drives my decision to buy or not to buy. If I do not see a broad or very wide application coverage for the extension, I tend to stay away from those. I want broad usage and global applications rather than narrow, small market usage.
Gerry, you are NOT Giving CREDIT TO .XYZ ???? That is not fair? to the stupid .xyz owner who is robbing average Joe by manipulating numbers

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
another issue for those new businesses that want to use the new extension is they will have to spend as much time and money in advertising/promoting the new extension as the name itself.
Exactly, a good domain should speak for itself and 'promote' your business, not the other way round. I mean, if your domain is a liability, your branding efforts can fail, and you'll end up throwing good money after bad.

It will take 5 - 10 years until the average person has even heard of these new extensions... if at all.
In the other forum somebody mentioned the old Sony motto: make.believe.
In the future this could be a URL but I think many people will be confused and not recognize these strings as real URLs when they see them. Unless maybe you add www. in front of them.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a real business those renewals are tax write offs.

For the record, domainers can write off renewals as a business expense too. Domaining is what keeps my business at a "loss" every year, considering domain investments are considered an expense (as is hosting and development).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom