Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Whats next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Olney said:
OK I just saw your post.
Those buying & develoiping IDNS have no intention of them being confused for English sites...
That's a guarantee...

Thats a nice thought, however I suspect you underestimate humanity

Domain Days 2024

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry IDNs in languages like Japanese, Chinese, Russian, German, Korean, Arabic
They don't have the issues you are concerned with. These are the main IDN markets.
The phishing issue is not one of the reasons why I would say IDNs are the next thing. Already you can't register mixed script domains.
My comments are based on the use of native characters. Not domains that look like English.

Phishing issues does apply to the English market. It's like Spam is to email. People who are registering the languages I speak about are not making sites to "look" like other sites.

I'll end this here because I didn't mean for this to become an IDN discussion thread. You might see the phishing issues as concerns but this is not the real use of IDN Domains.. & this is not what most of the IDN investors are investing in.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll respect your opinions. IDNs are not everyone, & every domainer on here is credible in their market.

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what is the next big thing ?.....

Parking is under pressure ...
IDN`s will have their (considerable ) niche...
etc ....

this could be a good thread ... keep the ideas rolling :)

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dolansco said:
So what is the next big thing ?.....

Parking is under pressure ...
IDN`s will have their (considerable ) niche...
etc ....

this could be a good thread ... keep the ideas rolling :)

I think we agreed that no-one will agree on the next big thing as we are not nostradamus. We can only enjoy the ride until the next wave comes along. At which time we hope we can catch it in good time.

Content will always be king, and the new wave of RSS advertising could be the new big thing, people syndicating their sites and blogs is one to watch this year.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Explorer said:
Come to think of it, the more general public stays out of the IDN market, the more chances we have to build great IDN portfolios with thousand of names. So, while people are arguing and speculating on lawsuits, usage, stats, generic nature, we keep regging and regging....

When the speculators have all of the names then there will be no market. What makes dotcom so strong is usage. Usage created the value. There won't be much value created in other places if there are parked pages only.

The attempts to run away from the tradional dotcom get more creative every day. It ends up just making dotcom stonger.

discdrome

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I also run an e-commerce site where we actually stock and ship out products, we are finding it increasing difficult to compete with the big sites here in the UK and Worldwide, such as Amazon, Play, eBay. It will be interesting to see if a “BIG 5” emerge as main e-commerce selling sites. Anybody and there dog can set up a store on eBay or Amazon with very little money and experience, I do see a lot of small-medium size e-commerce sites disappearing in the next couple of years. We have already seen quite a few gadget companies fail in the last year here in the UK “The Gadget Shop” being one of the highest profile shops to go bust.

If we were starting again now from scratch trying to sell a product, its much easier than 6 years ago, and you have a ready made audience of millions of users with Amazon or eBay.

I do see a lot of e-commerce sites selling more through these channels rather than the expense and hassle of running there own sites.

This has turned into an interesting thread, loads of great comments and ideas.

discdrome

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL, yes thats a whole other area. I have a few amazon sites, they seem to do great for a while then get penalised by google for having duplicate content. They need constant changing and tweeking to be one step ahead of the search engines, or a unique script rather than the common free and low cost ones.

But I do agree that a lot of sites are and will continue to be earning commission from sales on Amazon and eBay.

Explorer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Smith said:
They didn't buy it.

You could use software.com as an example.

WhoDatDog said:
When the speculators have all of the names then there will be no market. What makes dotcom so strong is usage. Usage created the value. There won't be much value created in other places if there are parked pages only.

The attempts to run away from the tradional dotcom get more creative every day. It ends up just making dotcom stonger.

The speculators only bought some % of the overall market. I am not sure what you call a traditional .com, as IDNs are .coms. My point is people will type in URLs in their native language. It's that simple.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Explorer said:
You could use software.com as an example.

The speculators only bought some % of the overall market. I am not sure what you call a traditional .com, as IDNs are .coms. My point is people will type in URLs in their native language. It's that simple.

United States traffic pays the most in PPC for a reason. Money in domain names can only come from two places. The first place is someone willing to buy the domain and put it to regular use. The second way is to earn money by putting up advertising links. Speculators have the majority of names in the new extentions and IDN's...call them dotcoms if you want.

If people want to type in URL's in their native languages then they will be seeing a bunch of parked pages and not a lot of developed websites. I don't have a few thousand years to wait for it to develop.

Stick to the power...regular dotcom.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
When the speculators have all of the names then there will be no market.

This is a very good point and should be considered by anyone investing in .eu names. If no big .eu websites come along, the value in .eu will go away in the next few years.

Explorer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
United States traffic pays the most in PPC for a reason. Money in domain names can only come from two places. The first place is someone willing to buy the domain and put it to regular use. The second way is to earn money by putting up advertising links. Speculators have the majority of names in the new extentions and IDN's...call them dotcoms if you want.

If people want to type in URL's in their native languages then they will be seeing a bunch of parked pages and not a lot of developed websites. I don't have a few thousand years to wait for it to develop.

Stick to the power...regular dotcom.

Do you know what % of revenue Google derives from international traffic this year? Do you know that it's projected to be >50% in the next few years?

There are already hundreds if not thousands of developed IDN sites.

As I said before, people will type in URLs in their native language just as we do in English and that traffic will be highly valuable to the local companies.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys should end this here.
Some in IDNs have collectively been doing research & sharing stats over the past year. We are seeing the progression. Some won't believe in international markets... That's a fact..
It is a 1 or 2 year wait till IDNs become the normal domain for Japan. This is the actual goal for many in Japan. We are just going along for the ride...

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Olney you may be right, but IDNs are not for everyone. And as we are typical westerners we are arrogant enough to believe and expect the rest of the world to speak english.

Whether it is right to think that or not, is a matter for another discussion.

I hope you are right, and I do hope you prove me wrong.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well NS a good healthy discussion never hurts. Although most see domaining as the commercial value, I also see the Japanese market for what's lacking for users. I'm committed to help expand the entire online market of Japan.

But you are right, clearly in my first post I stated the IDN market is not for everyone but this thread is "what's next" generally...

There are many nonWesterners & Westerners who have overseas experiences, ties, associates etc. on DNF it better suits those.

I don't want to prove you wrong I just want to introduce facts on the international market.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ah, I do see your point and I commend you for being part of something that clearly is aimed at awareness for your countries native language domains.

I truly do wish you every success.

Gokouun o inorimasu

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom