Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Where best to invest $100k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvertiger

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's say that you're relatively new to the domain business, and you've got between $100k and $200k as an initial investment in domains, and you're interested in buying parked domains with type-in traffic. Resale value is only secondarily important. Current traffic cash flow is by far the most important factor.

What strategy would you pursue? Solicit offers for portfolio sales on dnforum? Go through a domain broker? (who?)

Some other considerations:
- need some level of diversification (i.e. don't want to blow $25k each on 6 domains - YET)
- need to be time-efficient (the fewer sellers to deal with, the better)

thanks,
silvertiger

Domain Days 2024

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Cheapest way would be to make a wanted post here. Sorta like what you did.

Id go for traffc names, non-TM, generic. Those make $ and have resale value. Generic typos like movis.com would be a good bet too. set a daily revenue that you want, how much your willing to pay for each and sift through the pms

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Do not buy any traffic domains right now. You will get blown away and the suprises you get will be ones involving lower traffic than expected; not higher.

Study domains every day for six-months. After that you should be able to judge a good name without even asking about traffic...you will know that it gets at least XXX when you see it.

Don't be in a rush to spend a lot of money until you know what you are doing. The big advantage that you have is your access to capital, so get some knowledge first and hold onto your money. You will know when you are ready.

Most people don't realize that the great generic names that generate type-in traffic and revenue really aren't for sale at the multiples you will be looking for. The names are worth so much more than the going rate that smart domainers just won't sell them for traffic and revenue....their value is much more as a brand. The odds of you getting the best of a deal at this stage are very low, and if you can't get the best of it you need to sit on the sidelines until you are ready.

Always be wary of traffic names that cannot be spelled or pronounced. Keep it as simple as possible and avoid buying names until you are certain you know what you are doing. You will make a lot of money if you wait. The laundromat theory of buying names for significant amounts of money that will generate investment rates of return (Turn-Key business approach) will likely bury you until you are further along in your understanding.

There will always be bargains out there.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do not buy any traffic domains right now. You will get blown away and the suprises you get will be ones involving lower traffic than expected; not higher.

Study domains every day for six-months. After that you should be able to judge a good name without even asking about traffic...you will know that it gets at least XXX when you see it.

Don't be in a rush to spend a lot of money until you know what you are doing. The big advantage that you have is your access to capital, so get some knowledge first and hold onto your money. You will know when you are ready.

Most people don't realize that the great generic names that generate type-in traffic and revenue really aren't for sale at the multiples you will be looking for. The names are worth so much more than the going rate that smart domainers just won't sell them for traffic and revenue....their value is much more as a brand. The odds of you getting the best of a deal at this stage are very low, and if you can't get the best of it you need to sit on the sidelines until you are ready.

Always be wary of traffic names that cannot be spelled or pronounced. Keep it as simple as possible and avoid buying names until you are certain you know what you are doing. You will make a lot of money if you wait. The laundromat theory of buying names for significant amounts of money that will generate investment rates of return (Turn-Key business approach) will likely bury you until you are further along in your understanding.

There will always be bargains out there.

some good advice in there "WhoDatDog"!

I would expound on the "always be bargins out there" part.

This is the area to be key on.

bargins are snapped up quickly!

many times a "bargin deal" will be sold in less than 60 seconds after posting.

hesitate, and you miss out.

however i think traffic/revenue names are the best investments for your plans.

as you want immediate cash flow and expressed that "resale" is secondary.

although you don't want to have an excess of traffic names which, should you have to sell, would not maintain or exceed the original cost of acquisition.

do your research!

vvvv4

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can buy many high premium .infos for 100K-200K. May be these high premium domains as Travel.info, Science.info, Broker.info, Hire.info, London.info etc. will cost more than 50K - 100K each in near future. But I recommend buy high top .info names only.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can buy many high premium .infos for 100K-200K. May be these high premium domains as Travel.info, Science.info, Broker.info, Hire.info, London.info etc. will cost more than 50K - 100K each in near future. But I recommend buy high top .info names only.

I would not recommend this, i cant think of a single .info worth $100,000

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Dictionary domains, all the way.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Worst advice ever. The thread-starter should take a breather until he can recognize immediately how horrible this advice about .infos is.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

vvvv4,
It's sad that you would try to pormote your own agenda for someone trying to get honest advice. Pretty low. I've been in this industry for years and this is some honest and straight shooting advice from whodatdog and Biggedon to the point that I have nothing to add other then it's always buyer beware. Take it slow. With that kind of capital you can acquire some very good asset so stick with the generic .COM with traffic and get advice if you're trying to move in quickly. But definitely don't go following the type of advice like vvvv4 just gave you. Best of luck! A shame nothing in my portfolio suits your needs or is worth that much. Best of luck nontheless!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Let's all have a group hug and sing kumbaya :-D

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm down for a DNF sposored group hug..... :grouphug:

I love this place :rockon:

zojila

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You can buy a couple of geographic city, town and even country names. They will never vanish as in a trend.

Anything other than a .com will keep your fingers crossed.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this advice. Its indeed sad that rather than considering this as just someone's personal opinion, vvvv4 is being accused of "promoting" his own agenda. How come? Is there any indication that he owns any names like Travel.info, Science.info, London.info, etc. Yes, names like these most likely do not meet the criteria for type-in traffic and immediate revenue, but as far as ROI is concerned, who can reasonably argue that they don't represent some of the better opportunities that are available for a newcomer to the domain business? Can somone in his right mind even imagine buying names like these in .com in this day and age? Who would even consider selling names like these (in .com) in less than seven figures (if at that)? So, try respecting other's opinions rather than quickly jumping on to conclusions and blaming them for promoting their own personal agendas while they just state their opinion. If not, what are forums for?

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this advice. Its indeed sad that rather than considering this as just someone's personal opinion, vvvv4 is being accused of "promoting" his own agenda. How come? Is there any indication that he owns any names like Travel.info, Science.info, London.info, etc.

Uhm.... sorry DryHeat that I took the time to read his signature:

DNMarket.biz : 30K+ Dictionary .infos http://www.dnmarket.biz
DNBook.biz : New Domain Names eBook

I'll let you add up 2+2 in the mean time while we all hold our breaths for your analysis.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think im a little bit different than this group. while i would invest in revenue domains, at the same time, I would also invest in websites that have the potential to grow into something bigger (with ad money behind it)

Ive crossed many sites that the owner was willing to sell for what I believed to be pennies since I knew what potential the site had.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Uhm.... sorry DryHeat that I took the time to read his signature:

I'll let you add up 2+2 in the mean time while we all hold our breaths for your analysis.

So what, he has a domains sales site listing .info and .biz domains for sale – so do hundreds of other members.

And as pointed out by DryHeat, he doesn't own any of the domains he suggested might be a good investment.

Hardly a personal agenda

On Topic...

Personally, I'd try and build a mixed portfolio – don't put all your eggs in one basket (or one extension for that matter)

With 100k I'd put $70k into generic traffic names and *30k into quality .info/.us domains

*A mix of decent three letter names and popular one word generic terms, or place names domains.

- Rob

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Pissing contest warning!

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pissing contest warning!

There's nothing personal about this debate... but you can be sure I can piss further then Leading Names....:smow:

But that's not the point here... :focus:

Everyone has their own agenda on this forum.... but when someone is asking a simple question with a $xxx,xxx K budget, doesn't mean all moral decensy be thrown aside to try to get a quick one in, If that's the case we are no different from prostitutes!!!!! Are you a prostitute Leading Names? Yes it is capitalism, but when do we put aside that crap and give a simple honest answer?????!!!!

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pissing contest warning!
Over the years, I've learned much more from such "pissing contests" where folks freely and openly express their true opinions and biases as compared to short and brief statements from those considering themselves to be an authority in the field...:wink_smile:

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's nothing personal about this debate... but you can be sure I can piss further then Leading Names....:smow:

But that's not the point here... :focus:

Everyone has their own agenda on this forum.... but when someone is asking a simple question with a $xxx,xxx K budget, doesn't mean all moral decensy be thrown aside to try to get a quick one in, If that's the case we are no different from prostitutes!!!!! Are you a prostitute Leading Names? Yes it is capitalism, but when do we put aside that crap and give a simple honest answer?????!!!!

Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom