Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Where did all the guests go???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComGod
Hi,

First the guests are real.

Second guests do turn to members as is quite evident by the numbers.

Third, redirected traffic or any other kind of traffic is good for any website.

Fourth, expect more guests/ghosts/goblins/members.

--=DCG=-

thanks for the info, DCG!

boreal

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So luky to be a PLATINUM menber !

Need a good drop time telling trick or software spam me
P:s. 800 dnf $ for the schedul of Godaddy
dotster
iaregistry
awregistry
etc.....More the better

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was not going to ay anything but this really concerned me because i was planning on buying an advertising campaign at dnforum

at first i thought it was very strange that there were so many new visitors but the new owners are big players so i just assumed that they were redirecting traffic to the site

however, i know vbulletin very well and i know how easy it is to add fake visitors to the usersonline - its just a matter of adding a set number a few lines to online.php. The only prob;em by doing this is that all visitors usually show up as just watching the main page on www.dnforum.com/online.php. This is very easily solved though - turn off online.php to members so they cannot see this

When the site was upgraded from 2.2.3 to 2.3.0 the no of guests dropped from about 250 to about 5. This was obviously because when the upgrade was done online.php was not amended. This was changed a few hours later though.

I really didnt want to bring it up buy it is clear these visitors are being faked for advertising purposes and as much we all want new members and buyers here the people who are likely to buy adverrtising on dnforum are plat members and therefore those are the people who are going to get ripped off.

I think that the admin here have a duty to show the real stats for the site - im not talking about alexa, i mean webalizer or something. Also id like to point out that the member sign up rate is about the same as it always was and if you compare it to the number of guests it is drastically low.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First the guests are real.

Second guests do turn to members as is quite evident by the numbers.

Third, redirected traffic or any other kind of traffic is good for any website.

Fourth, expect more guests/ghosts/goblins/members.

--=DCG=-

WHERE are you, DCG?!? This was your last post ... and prior to the abyssmal Live auction of 5/4! :eek:
We need answers. We need direction. Talk to us about this supposed traffic. Talk to us about the recent inactivity on the site. Is it all only about signing up new Platinum members?? HELP.
Thank you.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't feel that DNF is to blame for the lack/slow down of Domain sales here.

Mike

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
I honestly don't feel that DNF is to blame for the lack/slow down of Domain sales here.

Mike

Perhaps. Let's see what they have to say.
Take care.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only semi-deception I did near the end of my reign was to adjust the cookie timeout from 10 minutes to 45 minutes.

I did this after verifying that this is what those guys at domainstate were doing. I logged into their site with IE and closed all my IE browsers. Then I went to the site with Netscape and didn't login. I kept refreshing every couple of minutes. Finally after 45 minutes I was logged off.

Anyone could easily change that timer to 24 hours. Then the number of members showing up as online is really the total number of members that came to the site all day. :eek:

M

mole

Originally posted by Gregr
The only semi-deception I did near the end of my reign was to adjust the cookie timeout from 10 minutes to 45 minutes.

Internet trickery is riff.

Which is why, I never believe in traffic figures. You can use clever hitbots to manipulate those quite cleverly.

I don't believe in Overture. All crap.

Alexa figures, worse than crap.

Some people say that you should get jaorpsruovnsex.com which is 1,000x better than sex.biz. That's the ultimate crap.

Branding is where it is all at, and audited sales figures. Anything else is just manipulated fluff and crap.

Now there.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
all I have to say is

crap.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I am surprised to see people actually think that I need to fake traffic and frankly could care less.

The traffic is real and so are the guests, no trickery is needed nor involved and Greg should not have to defend anything.

Other than that, move on and go buy and sell domains, the time would be better spent on that than complaining that there are too many people here so it must be fake.

As I have said many times before, I own highimpacttraffic.com and will send targeted traffic to the site because I want to promote it.

Bottom line, if domains are priced incorrectly, it does not matter how many platinum members we have as they are not stupid and won't buy overprices domains.

-=DCG=-

M

mole

The worldwide economy is currently limping near to ruins. The US dollar faces depreciation pressures like never before. China, once the bright spark on the world business map, is facing the surprising economic throes due to just a single virus.

And here we are, confused about why discretionary spending on domains are down?

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
i was not going to ay anything but this really concerned me because i was planning on buying an advertising campaign at dnforum

at first i thought it was very strange that there were so many new visitors but the new owners are big players so i just assumed that they were redirecting traffic to the site

however, i know vbulletin very well and i know how easy it is to add fake visitors to the usersonline - its just a matter of adding a set number a few lines to online.php. The only prob;em by doing this is that all visitors usually show up as just watching the main page on www.dnforum.com/online.php. This is very easily solved though - turn off online.php to members so they cannot see this

When the site was upgraded from 2.2.3 to 2.3.0 the no of guests dropped from about 250 to about 5. This was obviously because when the upgrade was done online.php was not amended. This was changed a few hours later though.

I really didnt want to bring it up buy it is clear these visitors are being faked for advertising purposes and as much we all want new members and buyers here the people who are likely to buy adverrtising on dnforum are plat members and therefore those are the people who are going to get ripped off.

I think that the admin here have a duty to show the real stats for the site - im not talking about alexa, i mean webalizer or something. Also id like to point out that the member sign up rate is about the same as it always was and if you compare it to the number of guests it is drastically low.

What the *uck!! :confused: :mad: :upset: :evil: :depressed

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam you better get one of those custom fitted dart proof suits made. ;)

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Boys, Girls, and Wankers, DCG is dead-on....

Yes the economy sucks and yes domains sales will never return to their hayday of 1999 / 2000, so wake up and smell the Coffee. Pricing your names where they were in 99 and 00 is just ridiculous. IMHO a 200% to 300% ROI is better then nothing and in this economy, it works for me just fine.

BTW... I've been selling an average of 25 names a week for the past 8 weeks with a 260% ROI. Beats the bank and the stockmarket.

So get out there and reset your expectations. You may be surprised with how many domains you can sell.

Name-Maker

PS... quit whining!

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When did this become an argument that DNF is resposible for poor sales. This was a thread about where did all these supposed guests that have been hanging around for 2 months go?

Originally posted by Name-Maker
Boys, Girls, and Wankers, DCG is dead-on....

Ya he may be dead on, but coments like:

After reading this thread I am surprised to see people actually think that I need to fake traffic and frankly could care less.

and

Other than that, move on and go buy and sell domains, the time would be better spent on that than complaining that there are too many people here so it must be fake.

just shows that the bloom is off the rose.

Show me any "Big Player" that treats his/her customers like that and I'll show you a dieing business.

..now I'll put cheers and a happy face 'cause that makes everything alright.

Cheers:D
Sharpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom