Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Where did all the guests go???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%, Sharpy. Sometimes it feels as though DCG and Gregr aren't so dissimilar, afterall! :eek:
And smiley face. :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Name-Maker

PS... quit whining!

I was trying to think of a pleasant way to tell everyone whose been complaining to take a reality check, but I think what you said was "spot on"!

Listen everyone. There are two kinds of people in this world. There are those people who put their nose down to the grindstone and never look back. Then there are those people who want things without even so much lifting a finger. When it doesn't come to them, they blame "everyone else" for not being able to get what they want.

Now which person are you?

I got news for you. The latter type person will still be wondering where everyone else went when they find themselves still in the same spot 10 years down the road.

One other thing. If you find yourself complaining about not selling domains, then I would recommend a new hobby. Right now the market has no room for those who have subpar names. Funny thing is if you "changed" your attitude you'd be moving those "subpar" names like they were hotcakes. If you don't believe me, then like I said. Time to move on. Try something new. It's better than hating yourself 10 years down the road blaming the dog, the wife, and your kids...oh and DNF!!

DISCLAIMER: This isn't about sticking up for the new owners, or GregR for that matter. They are big boys and can handle themselves. Believe or not if DNF dried up tomorrow, my life will not skip a beat. One Reason: My life doesn't revolve around things I have no control over (izopodian philosophy, 2003)

No this post is meant for you if you find yourself always looking to blame others for your shortcomings. It's a disease. Get help! I hope this helps. (really)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gregr
Like 2 peas in a pod. :laugh:

LOL. Good enough, Gregr ... thanks for bringing some levity to the discussion! I'm serious. Any chance you might consider coming out of "retirement"? :D
See you.
:cool:

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love that Izopodian philosophy!

As an entrepreneur myself (though not really in domains) there is a lot in there to appreciate. Read his words people - whining is a business no-no. It helps no one, most of all you.

The time is always good to take responsibility for your own success. Instead of depending on DNF as your business model, use it as one of many tools in your arsenal. Get to the point where, if it was to go away, you would be able to take a moment and grieve, then move on without missing a beat. THAT is the attitude of a winner.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Slight flaw in the Izopodian theory, as usual. :D
If this was still a FREE site, I'd agree with you. However, folks now are PAID members! You may not like "complaining" members ... but I can assure you that they are now well within their rights in doing so. I'd agree we all have to move forward, but to not listen to paid members issues, or, as you'd advocate, not give as much credibility to paid members' complaints (in the guise of passing blame, etc.) suggests, to me, that you don't have a very good grasp with basic business fundamentals; "While the customer isn't always right, certainly he/she's never wrong." :swg:
IMHO, of course. Good comments so far.
Onward and upward!
:cool:

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CH, I think what you say has merit too, I just think we all need to keep it in perspective. $50 doesn't make us major shareholders in this corporation. In fact, Greg once made clear that paying the $50 doesn't even prevent us from getting banned. What that means is that our $50 buys us the temporary and fragile right to speak our minds and conduct a little business here.

If we happen to be persuasive enough to get our ideas adopted, that's wonderful. But we should also never forget that our $50 is essentially taxation without representation, and our "government" has no obligation whatsoever to indulge our desires. The only way we can punish them for bad behavior is to walk away and not renew our Platinum memberships.

To hear some people react to the goings on here, you'd think this place was their entire life - that's just not healthy!

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Point well taken, Frontrow ... thanks! Everything's :cool: ... and I'm glad to see lots of differing opinions and comments, though maybe fruitless in the end. Who knows?!? LOL. :D
See you.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

One other thing. If you find yourself complaining about not selling domains, then I would recommend a new hobby..

..My life doesn't revolve around things I have no control over (izopodian philosophy, 2003)

Well i have to say i agree on this one a 100% :D
Well said, izopod.

See my comments regarding this matter here:

http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=217695#post217695

Seems there are quite some people expecting DNF to bring the buyers instead of realizing its your OWN job to find a way to market your names.

Must be the new generation - just that a "i reg/buy some names and sell them to resellers on DNF" business plan wont bring you anywhere.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz

See my comments regarding this matter here:

http://dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=217695#post217695

Beatz

I think your comments are right on! I posted them below in case anyone missed it. As with everything... Nothing is ever "easily" gained. This is so true with domain names. It takes creativity, ingenuity and a LOT of elbow grease to become successful at something. Even having a forum at your disposal will not guarantee success. It helps, which is what we call having a "edge" over those who don't have a forum, but by no means should it be seen as the "cure" to your $1 domain problems.

Originally posted by beatz
I dunno.

There seem to be quite some people that have the idea of regging names and selling them to resellers is a solid business plan.

Maybe someone should point out that this is a bad idea.

As the only way to make *real* money when it comes to resale is selling to ENDUSERS, as long as your names are not top-of-the-cream names that even sell for good profit to resellers.

So, as the auction so far has mainly been reseller to reseller, what do you expect?!

Of course prices are low as reseller wants to buy from reseller for dirt cheap only - normal.

Now, if you think the solution is to bring enduser/retail buyers to the forum - you are wrong.

First, this is a FORUM.

NOT a sales platform; as someone already pointed out earlier, the "for sale" section and the auction are just one of many sections, its not like DNF was built around those.

Second, as a serious seller, its your *own* duty to market your names to enduser buyers, not DNFs.If your not able to sell your names to enduser, better get out of the business or find a broker.

For instance, my chances are 1000% better to sell Casting.us by posting the name for sale on a model/casting forum than posting it here - now, you just CANT bring the right endusers here for that name as the RIGHT endusers(i.e. the ones that would pay most for the name) have no interest in domain forums; at least to improve my chances of selling the name HERE you would have to bring ALL those casting people that visit the casting boards to this place - at least, and thats just for *one* name.Impossible thing.

Third, on what basis do you wanna decide whats you asking price as soon as retail buyers have access to the for sale section and the auction?

Like, "$100 asking price for reseller, $1200 for retail, please identify yourself" ?

Ridiculous.

All in all, my point is, the idea of all you have to do to sell your names is sitting here waiting for the retail buyers to come(be redirected) here and theyll pick a name they like and thats it is just wishful thinking.

You have to do the work yourself.

Nature of the game.

Really,i could care less if retailers are brought to this place or not, as i always felt its part of *my* job, if not the most important one, to find enduser buyers *myself*.

Even more, i think the idea to bring retail buyers here could destroy the nature of what DNF was and is good for - that is exchanging info amongst DOMAINERS.

This is not afternic, you know.

Btw - i always said and still will say - AUCTIONS simply dont work for endusers for a dozen of reasons anyway.

Now if the new owners want to prove the opposite on the risk of destroying what DNF was made for actually, go on and try - youll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom