Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wi-Fi TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trademarks require diligence. The owners have to protect them to maintain their rights.

It is possible that WI-FI has been loosely enforced as a certification mark and become so identified with the technology/ industry that it has lost its distinctiveness.

It may be an unenforceable mark.

This is not legal advice and I am not an attorney.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
" The owner retains full enforcement rights as if it were the user of the mark.

Good, a comment from a lawyer finally:).

Are you saying then that the Wi-Fi alliance has the right to say which websites/domains can or cannot use the term "Wi-Fi" or even the term "WiFi" like wifigear.com?

If so, I find that a little wierd since wifi 411, wifi hotzone, wifi unlimited (trade mark), wifi-Texas, wi-fi spots, the wi-fi shop, and wifi networked are either registered service or trade marks for other companies.

Does any company besides Microsoft own a trademark or service mark with Microsoft in it? I don't think so:).

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Are you saying then that the Wi-Fi alliance has the right to say which websites/domains can or cannot use the term "Wi-Fi" or even the term "WiFi" like wifigear.com?"

No. I am studiously avoiding answering that question.

One might consider, as pointed out by the Cowboy, whether the term has passed into the vocabulary, such as indicated by the entry at webopedia.com.

But the way one obtains legal advice is by consulting an attorney under conditions of privilege and confidentiality.

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Are you saying then that the Wi-Fi alliance has the right to say which websites/domains can or cannot use the term "Wi-Fi" or even the term "WiFi" like wifigear.com?"

No. I am studiously avoiding answering that question.

Yea, I noticed that :). Thanks for your input on this one though.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

But the way one obtains legal advice is by consulting an attorney under conditions of privilege and confidentiality.

As always, very sound advice. Thank you!

DomainOgre

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elequa
you can not trademark "wifi"
www.wifi.net

Yea, I pretty much came to that same conclusion after researching the matter further to make sure. If they do fight me on it, which I doubt they will, I have a lot to fight with given the certification mark, the fact that my domain does not use a -, and the generic use of the name.

Thus, WiFiGear.com coming soon too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom