Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

worst registrar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marzzo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great thread bump. I've been using Dotregistrar for years and I'll admit, their interface is a bit confusing but I've finally got it figured out :) I've been happy with them otherwise. Their 72-hour refund feature is awesome.

My pick for worst registrars:

1. TotalNic - I can't believe they're still around. I was finally able to transfer my Snap'd domain away on the final day of registration and I thought I was going to go postal.

2. Register.com - registered 2 .jp domains when that first became available - they charged me $100 for each domain even though they were reg'd by someone else. It took over a month to get my refund, let alone an explaination. I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to get it straightened out.

3. Netsol - nightmares.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Momentum said:
Worst registrars:
Registerfly
Safenames
Nominate.net (BB Online UK)

Not sure about Registerfly but sure agree about Safenames where I have had lots of problems and they still alledgedly hold names "hostage." In fact most all of the UK registrars are bad IMO, including one of the worst being Easyspace.com.

Many of the UK firms seem to not understand that sometimes they will lose names to other firms and thus they seem to try blocking transfers away. Plus they routinely charge higher fees, extra fees or excessive renewal costs and also have dubious value tech supt. Not sure why this seems to happen so often with UK registrars. These poor registrars may be a reason the UK extensions are not doing so well? Perhaps Nominet does a bad job with regulating them?

P.S. GoDaddy/WW is the best.

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
#1 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. Register.com ($200 transfer fee)
I'm glad to see you brought up register.com. One of my clients has been trying to get his domain transferred out of register.com for over 2 months! I don't use them myself, but it seems like they do everything in their power to keep their $35 a year fee.

ENom on the other hand has always given me outstanding service. Is there anyone else who will give you as many free services? They don't raise their price for renewals, either. But their resellers might.

Speaking of resellers, I've challenged eNom to do something about the industry's #1 bad boy (from what I've read) ezinames.com, one of their own resellers. They have promised to look into their practices. It remains to be seen how this will play out.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The worst I have dealt with.

1. OnlineNic.frustration
2. Register.expensive
3. NetworkSolutions.forms
4. GoDaddy.autorenew

Thanks,
DD

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Da woirst!

1. Names4ever Took $thousands in prereg fees and never submitted 1 name - fraud
2. RegisterFly/Dodora/Unified Names Too many reasons to list -- Way bad

neologist

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't Registerfly an eNom reseller? Whois lists eNom as the registrar for their domain name. I do like to use the registerfly bulk domain registration tool to check availablity of long lists, however.

awtoc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Oscar for the very WORST REGISTRAR is awarded to ??

#1 WORST RESGISTRAR IS NAMES4EVER they are 100% on top of the heap, the very worst, and the Oscar for the WORST REGISTRAR GOES TO...... NAMES4EVER
#1 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. TotalNIC (holds domains hostage)
#1 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. ItsYourDomain (makes transfers very difficult, charges transfer fee)
#1 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. Register.com ($200 transfer fee)

#2 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. DotRegistrar (user unfriendly interface, makes managing domains a nightmare)

#3 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. OnlineNIC (functions like it is being run by a guy in a garage working part-time) I 100% AGREE with this one...
#3 WORST REGISTRAR IS.. eNom (tons of technical errors and malfunctions, and expensive renewals) I somehow agree, but then again enom has been good to me in the past..
(tie for #3)

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Easyspace - even charge you for a nameserver change - require a fax to start a transfer

Registerfly - reseller - sends email for domains I transfrered 3 years ago

Safenames - crazy - domains appearing and disappearing
I asked them once to unlock my domains and they did it. The strange thing is that they changed whois, nameservers and domains left my account. Took me a week+ to get them back in there. They even asked me what domains were in there.

DomainMonkeys - they keep a domain hostage cause of a snapnames fault in the whois

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
Easyspace - even charge you for a nameserver change - require a fax to start a transfer. Safenames - crazy - domains appearing and disappearing.

Easyspace and Safenames are probably the worst two I have ever dealt with (excluding a few non-English speaking Asian firms).

P.S. Easyspace.com was so terrible I let more than 100 names reg'd there simply expire as it was too much trouble and costly dealing with them. Could not transfer some of the better ones away as they wanted a $35 fee per name plus documentation to England, far from Easy as their name implies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of them are amazingly bad. What a business model: get good customers, then treat them badly. A lawyer friend of mine said vote with your feet, and that's good advice.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mystery250 said:
Anyone heard of DirectNic? Any idea?

---------------------------------

yes they are one of the registrars i use; no problems; excellent customer service on inquiries. would be better if their prices were lower.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons registrars like NetSol and Register.com charge as high as $35 a year
is because of their 24/7 toll-free customer support. I doubt you'll find any registrar which
offers that yet charges lower than $25 a year.

Hope this helps.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are many people that complain about prices.
It fraud that we don't like. And a lot of registrars are at the border or well past fraud.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
davezan1 said:
One of the reasons registrars like NetSol and Register.com charge as high as $35 a year
is because of their 24/7 toll-free customer support. I doubt you'll find any registrar which
offers that yet charges lower than $25 a year.

Hope this helps.

But how does GoDaddy and WildWest do it for less than $9., even if not toll-free what with the low cost per minute of calls and normal short hold times?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
But how does GoDaddy and WildWest do it for less than $9.
The keyword here is toll-free ... and waiting time, of course. ;)

awtoc

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stay away from names4ever, thay are the worst, I also have been dealing lots of registrars, and I must that names4ever takes the lead in being the WORST or the WORST registrar, I would say to stay well away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom