Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Wow...this pisses me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I could see google setting up something and busting both for "Click Fraud."

Interesting point. Maybe it's a sting set up by Google. That would be cool.

Domain Days 2024

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
Interesting point. Maybe it's a sting set up by Google. That would be cool.

Very possible, since the seller has not been shut down and it's been completed with 60+ different buyers... unusual they would be allowed to continue without someone having reported it already. Then again, I'm not sure how ebay would feel about allowing their service to be used to try and trick-and-catch people. Tough call, but either way I saw they've got it coming.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Vorty

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IT Web Team said:
It's a good idea to give your site name on a click fraud related post.
Looks like he's already banned. AdSense don't show up. (Well done, Google)

I found something interesting there:

This is a great SERVICE, what ALL website owners need = TRAFFIC!!

Very true, but not this kind of "Service" :eek:hwell:

stevesko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We should not be the ones monitoring this, nor should ebay. If you search for counterfit copies of software on ebay, you are in good company. Also there are company lawyers. I once bought a bonified copy of dreamweaver on ebay and was contacted by a macromedia lawyer. This just shows how serious google is about cracking down (not)

Steve

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stevesko said:
We should not be the ones monitoring this, nor should ebay. If you search for counterfit copies of software on ebay, you are in good company. Also there are company lawyers. I once bought a bonified copy of dreamweaver on ebay and was contacted by a macromedia lawyer. This just shows how serious google is about cracking down (not)

Steve

and then what happened with that lawyer?

demo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One could have a friend purchase one of these packages. The friend would not have the Adsense account. Kind of the middle man. I wonder how google could track them...

I personally think click fraud is a lot higher than Goog is estimating.

For example... I myself accidentally click on ads more than I do so intentionally. There are many times I am trying to reposition the page and I accidentally click on an ad - or when a page loads and one of those annoying HUGE flash ads appears I'm trying to find the little close 'x' and I click on an ad instead. Or I have several windows open and accidentally click on a page with ad below...

In my case I'd say 50% or more of my clicks are fraudulent (accidental).

kiviniar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha ..... the amazing thing is that people are atually buying suh kind of service.....must be desperate measure for their desperate sites..+

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is definitely a huge problem. For one product I was advertising, I put my site on Google and Yahoo ppc advertising. For the first several months it sold very well. A while later, clicks and cost started going up while sales went down drastically.. to the point where almost no one even bought. The search volume for the terms stayed roughly the SAME over the entire period though.

What does this mean...

People are either manually or automatedly clicking others' ads to drive up costs and decrease sales so that eventually they discontinue their ads and there is less competition. I would imagine this happens quite often too. Once a better solution that eliminates a vast majority of click fraud starts being used, then the real value of clicks and traffic will begin to rise.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A possible accidental click solution is in use.

Go to
http://www.kanoodle.com/
and search for something, then click on one of the ads instead of the search results. You have to enter in a code to show that your click was not accidental.

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
March2005 said:
A possible accidental click solution is in use.

Go to
http://www.kanoodle.com/
and search for something, then click on one of the ads instead of the search results. You have to enter in a code to show that your click was not accidental.

Thats interesting, and truly strange!

I really don't think that's going to catch on personally... How many people are going to enter a code to visit an advertisers website? It would almost be like going to McDonald's and having to say a secret password to order a Big Mac.

:fear:

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Disgusting, and eBay 's not doing anything to control such listings.

Click fraud is at least 20% of PPC industry on Yahoo and Google, but more than 50% of other websites. For example Kanoodle was one of the worst PPC companies, 99% junk traffic. Thousands of clicks would not bring even a single sale and they sent a lot more visitors than Google and Yahoo combined lol

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Click fraud doesn't need to kill the industry but it will probably cost us domainers. Companies will most likely calculate the fraud rates and lower their advertising bid by that percentage. If fraud is 50% companies will start paying 10 cents per click instead of 20 cents. There are plenty of companies for which PPC is the right form of advertising.

adill420

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
Click fraud doesn't need to kill the industry but it will probably cost us domainers. Companies will most likely calculate the fraud rates and lower their advertising bid by that percentage. If fraud is 50% companies will start paying 10 cents per click instead of 20 cents. There are plenty of companies for which PPC is the right form of advertising.

actually that would be good for the domainers..most likely there will be some sort of better method in the works to prevent the click fraud (for the time being that is) which will result in better ROI for the advertisers thus meaning more money for us ;)

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Id say everyone pick a listing this guys has made, win it no matter what.... At the end of the listing contact him, let him know of his unethical activities and dont pay...lastly leave neg feedback on his account. It will be a risk of an ebay warning point... but its worth taking this guy down.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
adill420 said:
actually that would be good for the domainers..most likely there will be some sort of better method in the works to prevent the click fraud (for the time being that is) which will result in better ROI for the advertisers thus meaning more money for us ;)

The old "I just broke into your home and stole your belongings to teach you about the importance of buying expensive security" or "I punched Billy in the face so he would learn to fight and protect himself against future bullies" argument... wow, haven't seen that justification for wrongdoing in a long time.

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really don't think that's going to catch on personally... How many people are going to enter a code to visit an advertisers website? It would almost be like going to McDonald's and having to say a secret password to order a Big Mac

Exactly. In concept, this practice makes sense. Perhaps they should create a system that randomly gives code checks or some form of checks, but doing this everytime is absurd for end-users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom