Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.WS names... Maybe worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know what you are thinking. I don't do "exotic" domains. I myself would have said the same thing a month ago, until I realized that there could be "some" value in "certain" names. Names that are sold through Major Registars. .NU/.SU/.BZ aren't the kind of TLDs I was thinking of. Primarily .WS (Sold on Godaddy/Register.com), and maybe .CC.

Prime example. I picked up www.Database.ws tonight. Do you think it's worth more than $9.95 I paid Godaddy? If your answer is yes, then you will begin to see my point. I didn't buy a hundred, nor did I spend all day sifting through the .ws whois. I went in search of some very strong keywords. I found one. OVT 112K, Google 48 Million. Not bad for a $9.95 domain.

btw: I didn't bother to register, www.golfcourse.ws, and voter.ws, or wallet.ws Feel free to check out the OVT/Google #'s. "Golf Course" alone has 330K OVT, and 1.6 Mil Google.

Oh, and if you are thinking that I believe .WS is the next coming, then you missed the point of this post.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I totally agree.

ANY name is nice for SEO as long as the keyterm has high figures.

And i start to like .ws more than .org for my own development projects.

.org just looks sooooooooo rubbish.

Of course names for resale reasons is a total different story.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz

And i start to like .ws more than .org for my own development projects.

.org just looks sooooooooo rubbish.

The only reason I buy names is to develop them. I may sell, if at a later date I realize I don't have the time to work on them, or I lose sight of why I bought the name in the first place. Never buy a name that "looks" good if it's after 9 p.m and you've been working on the computer all day. :laugh:

So far my .ws holdings are:

Nano.ws
Retirement.ws
SocialSecurity.ws
Database.ws

Not bad for "risking" a little over $50 on some decent "keywords".

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with .org? To me, it looks like a site that's not in it for the money, which isn't the worst image a site can have.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
What's wrong with .org?

I personally don't have a problem with .org. In fact, all the names that I have in .ws would actually be a "better" fit in the .org namespace. However as we all know, the creme de la creme of c/n/o names are gone. It's time to pick up the scraps! :laugh:

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.org just looks crap.

I mean, look at it for like a minute:

.org

..........doesn't it look ugly ? :D

Yes it does.

And it SOUNDS crap.

Say it....."DOT OOOORG"

Say it again...say it...."DOT OOOOOOOOORG"

Now...what does that remind you of...................?

Right, sounds like "DOT URGH" - exactly !!!:D

Plus the very non-profit image .org has is rather a reason to NOT use it for my own projects as i don't want my projects to come across as being anything like charity, "non/not professional", etc.

So at least .ws can be marketed as "website" whereas .org instantly creates that charity hospital image in front of my eyes.

I don't like that.

:D :D

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In America .org doesn't sound that bad at all. We use abbreviations of words all the time in our english language. Also, .org has a "credibility" factor to it. Tennis.org "looks" credible even before visiting the site. Whereas a Tennis.com "looks" good, but would have to visit to see if it's a "ppc" page, or an actual site related to tennis. Of course the .com get's more type ins, but a Tennis.org is no slouch either.

There are some names that shouldn't have the .org attached to it. Names of commerical businesses don't work. Names of people, etc.

With .ws, that main aspect is whether you have a decent keyword to go with it. Since a lot of speculators have "written" off .ws for now, there are some pretty decent keywords available (for now at least). My guess is that when ICANN rolls out more "sponsored" TLDs, people will be in search of alternatives. .WS is bound to grow if it stays on the "Registrars" home page. That will be a key factor. Without "front page" billing it really is just a "ccTLD"...

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One last thing. If you are going to buy a .ws name. Do your looking on the Dot WS home page. The search function gives you "other" names available if the one you want is taken. On some of the searches you'll find "generic" words, and not just "blahGeneric" available names:

http://www.dot.ws/

If you find a name, then go to Godaddy to purchase it. They have the cheapest .ws right now.

http://www.godaddy.com

p.s Don't go overboard. Stick with "damn good" keywords.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention this, I picked up a huge .ws name the other day & had my eye on several more. Since you started this thread I went & regged the others lol

I picked up supplies.ws the other day & here are the others I regged recently..

aircraft.ws
camcorders.ws
cells.ws
radios.ws
studies.ws

Interested to see if any others have some big names.

M

mole

All it takes is for one loyal user of your site to realise that they were visiting .WesternSamoa and feel they were sleeping with a sheman instead of the real thing ....

I can't live with that thought. Maybe you can.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I checked, and movies.ws was not available.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FrontRow
I checked, and movies.ws was not available.

lol.... I'm sure that went months & months ago. ;)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
All it takes is for one loyal user of your site to realise that they were visiting .WesternSamoa and feel they were sleeping with a sheman instead of the real thing ....

I can't live with that thought. Maybe you can.

http://www.wibf.ws/
http://www.ism.ws
http://www.coolbeans.ws/index.shtml
http://www.sitedeveloper.ws (I did say this was a developer's ext)

I wonder if they know .ws actually means "western samoa". My guess is they don't care. They just wanted the "short acronym", or perfect name. The ending might as well have meant "Web Site".

I notice a lot of small businesses using the extension which would make sense. Can't afford $2K to buy the C/N/O/.Biz/.Info/.US of your name.... Why not get a short name being offered on two of the most popular registrars "web site" for a fraction of the cost.

izopodian philosphy: You like to see an extension where developers as opposed to speculators reside.

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
Why not get a short name being offered on two of the most popular registrars "web site" for a fraction of the cost.

Pod, I agree with you when you say .BIZ is worth something. It's the Internet's officially recognised abbreviation for BUSINESS.

However, I seriously wonder when you try to hustle exploited 3rd world country cctlds like a pimp on the sidewalk.

Why don't you do the same for .tv? At least, you know you are trying to save an ocean state from sinking into the sea.

I'm sure you will get a lot of support from the folks down at http://www.online.tv .

PT Barnum all over again :rolleyes:

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Pod, I agree with you when you say .BIZ is worth something. It's the Internet's officially recognised abbreviation for BUSINESS.

Ah, yes my beloved .biz. That distinction of being officially recognized as the abbreviation for BUSINESS will pay off in spades down the road.

I'm working on a .biz right now, that don't be surpised if you see the name splashed around through most major airports next year. Let the branding begin.

As far as .ws. It's all about development. It's a personal choice as .SR/.BZ/.CC don't trip my trigger. Maybe the "Web site" angle is starting to "sink in". bottomline: Develop short "powerful" keywords. You won't regret it.

I'm never concerned what others think in this business. I've spent 5 straight years combing this landscape, and I have found out one thing: Everyone (for the most part) doesn't see prime opportunities in time for them to capitalize. So most everyone will always be looking the for the next "dot com" domain, or the next "big thing". Meanwhile, someone is creating it. That the "trick" word... Creating it. Most people prefer to "wait for it".

izopodian philosophy: You can have 10 people watch a market develop. You'll more than likely get 10 different responses if you ask them what the "next" big thing will be. The reality is the "next" big thing will more than likely come up and die before you even have a chance to take advantage of it. SO the moral of the story is to be the one to "create", as opposed to "wait" for the next big thing. If you are lucky you'll have created something that truly is the "next big thing".

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks Pod

How many DNFs may I send you?

for this gem of info
"btw: I didn't bother to register, www.golfcourse.ws, and voter.ws, or wallet.ws "

For six British quid I got golfcourse.ws from GoDaddy

The other 2 are still available;

BTW, Western Samoa changed it's name to Samoa

So WS is going to mean Web Site to 6 billion people, no matter which member of Samoan royallty gets the kickback.
I believe it is the daughter at present.
Slightly off subject , but certainly a segway to my self promotion, Godaddy reckons you can't register any country name dot any extension because they are reserved by the registries

But WesternSamoa dot anything can be registered because the country is now named Samoa
( the part to the east is named American Samoa )

WesternSamoa.us is for sale

Many thanks your post, pod
Regards
Joe Honan

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by anyweb
Many Thanks Pod

How many DNFs may I send you?

None needed your kind Sir.

I've gotten a lot from being a member here at DNF. More than I will ever be able to pay it back. So instead of "hoarding", I thought I might share the wealth. If you pick up just one "gem", it's worth every penny. The term "Golf Course" is off the charts.

If you are a developer this name will serve you well. I might suggest you develop this into a "Golf" gaming site, with advertisements to "Golf Courses" around the world. Golf Gaming is HUGE!! It's the "game" of choice at most workplaces, as they are an "accepted" form of entertainment. As the saying goes, if the Boss plays "golf" on the internet why can't I?

Whatever you do with it, good luck!!

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beatz
I totally agree.

ANY name is nice for SEO as long as the keyterm has high figures.

Except, that for search engine optimization, single word keywords are probably not all that valuable. The keywords can be anywhere in the URL from the domain, subdomain, or a subdirectory or filename. Give equal content, I'll bet www.database.ws would be beat out any day by www.mysql-access-microsoft-database-site.net/database-mysql/database/website/access/data.html

Single word domains are generally valuable not as keywords, but as type-ins or short memorable email addresses and website names.

In commercial USE, I have only ever seen a .ws domain being used once. It was printed on the back of the van of an extermination company, and it wasn't even a rare generic term. It was something like "somename-extermination-inc.ws", a name that was probably available in .com....I came very close to calling the company and asking them to exterminate my hut on the north island of Western Samoa just for a laugh. :laugh:

For a discussion group, email accounts, or some other generic use of a key short name, .ws probalby has some value, but likely only a couple times reg fee, and nowhere near that of CNO and .info TLD's.

Just my opinion. I've never bought a .ws or .cc name, and probably wouldn't unless it as a super strong word.

M

mole

Originally posted by adoptabledomains
The keywords can be anywhere in the URL from the domain, subdomain, or a subdirectory or filename.

Yes, I noticed that too after studying hundreds of search ranking results. Get a life, mole!

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well i was shocked sheds.ws was not gone

it is now... ;)

well i thought it was worth $9.99 (and not 27 in enom :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom