Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

WTF: Heidi Powell files cybersquatting lawsuit against Heidi Powell over HeidiPowell.com

A

Andrew Allemann

Pity the poor woman who had the gall to register who own name as a .com domain name.

I’ve seen a lot of ridiculous cybersquatting complaints filed through UDRP or the courts, but this one might top them all.

You might have heard for Heidi Powell if you’re into weight loss reality TV. She’s co-host of ABC’s Extreme Weight Loss. She came to fame in 2010.

When it came time to register a domain name, she found that HeidiPowell.com had already been registered by another woman named Heidi Powell (actually, her husband registered it for her). So she went with HeidiPowell.net, but also inquired about buying the .com. She was rebuffed.

Now Heidi Powell, the weight loss guru, is suing Heidi Powell, the innocent registrant of her own name in .com, claiming that she’s cybersquatting by owning the .com that matches her own name.

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone here.

I sure hope the fitness Heidi Powell’s lawyers Jaburg & Wilk fully advised her about the risk she’s getting into by filing this suit (pdf). If I were the defendant, I’d certainly countersue for reverse domain name hijacking and ask for $100,000. This case is as dead on arrival as any I’ve seen.

© DomainNameWire.com 2016. This is copyrighted content. Domain Name Wire full-text RSS feeds are made available for personal use only, and may not be published on any site without permission. If you see this message on a website, contact copyright (at) domainnamewire.com.

Latest domain news at DNW.com: Domain Name Wire.

The post WTF: Heidi Powell files cybersquatting lawsuit against Heidi Powell over HeidiPowell.com appeared first on Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News & Views.

Related posts:

1. Cybersquatting lawsuit filed over domain name registered 16 years before plaintiff’s use
  2. Judge: “You were trying to set him up” in cybersquatting case
  3. $50,000 penalty for filing a frivolous UDRP!

Continue reading...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators