Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

9 Months Later whats worth more... .xxx domains or the....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All it takes is apps. Nothing to remember, no one knows what the URL is, all they know is they press this cute little colorful button and it goes where they want to go.

Look at all the icons now. Look at the f that everyone recognizes as facebook. Suddenly, no one goes to http://www.facebook.com. All they have to do on their phone is tap an icon. End of story.

So if you are developing, I would recommend NOT shying away of a premium word if it is marketable and brandable all on it's own.

the app thing is very useful and not going away - but its also gotten out of control having an app for everything. overbuilding.. how many damn icons do i want on my mobile device... for some things it makes sense having localized software especially when you dont have an internet connection you can still at least access some info. having a million icons isnt really even the main annoyance - its having to download an app for the most trivial things that i think will die out..

example: download the app to hear first who mitt romney picks for his VP! pffffffff.. clever, because now they have an advertising outlet to all the people that downloaded the app...but how long is that sort of app-for-everyting going to last.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but how long is that sort of app-for-everyting going to last.
quite awhile. Even McDonalds cash registers have pictures of the product so no one on the front line has to think or add anything up. Simply recognize and select.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What will happen? Do you have a crystal ball?

Yes, I ordered one using many special materials, it's a mixture of resins, crystal and common sense.

It worked wonders for .name, .mobi and continent TLDS.

What will happen to .com when all these new TLDs come out next year?

My Crystal ball tells me internet users are going to need a really good memory.

this is an interesting topic because according to ICANN's own guidelines they are not supposed to approve any 2 TLD's that are too similar to each other. remains to be seen how this is handled but i'd say the .MOBILE TLD should set some precedent being .MOBI has been in existence for 6 years and i cant think of a better example of "too similar" and "serving the same purpose" off the top of my head.

You seem to have more faith in ICANN than I do.... And the point you make about .mobi is the exact point that I and the other mobi critics had when investors were hyping the TLD, either they didn't see the writing on the wall or they did and hyped it anyway.

If part of the .xxx release was to restrict owners of other TLD's from publishing adult content, we would all be investing in .XXX. Unfortunately for .xxx owners that's not the case.

Last edited:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You seem to have more faith in ICANN than I do.... And the point you make about .mobi is the exact point that I and the other mobi critics had when investors were hyping the TLD, either they didn't see the writing on the wall or they did and hyped it anyway.

If part of the .xxx release was to restrict owners of other TLD's from publishing adult content, we would all be investing in .XXX. Unfortunately for .xxx owners that's not the case.

nah not faith.. its just that we can speculate if they'll approve way too similar TLD's based on their history of how they do things but as of today there are no concrete examples so we'll have to wait and see..

the "separate area for mobile" thing was just the idea the .mobi registry was trying to sell... any idea will work if you get everyone in the world to agree to it. one of the problems there would be getting nearly all existing website operators to agree to this and use a matching .mobi domain for their .com or whatever... thats silly. its probably a good idea to ignore all registry babble when you decide to register some of these new TLD's... they are not your business partner or friend.

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If any member on here would like to see my google analytic stats for one of my .xxx names just pm me your email address and i'll add you for a month as a user.

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ulysses your domains are developed, so they get traffic. Go figure :)
But the same could have been achieved with any extension.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That case could have some very serious implications. The problem with applying it on all TLDs is that it would involve multiple jurisdictions. To date, most of the registries have adopted a kind of "good faith" approach to registrations, have created Sunrise phases for TM holders and signed up for a dispute procedure. The alternative approach is that of a managed registry where each application is verified for entitlement before going live. This approach really slows down the growth rate of a TLD and makes running a registry more expensive. Many of the new gTLDs will depend on the initial boost from TM/Brand Protection registrations as these are often the stickiest registrations in that they keep being renewed. But ICANN being included in the court's deliberations should really have some new gTLD backers worried. The outcome of the case may also have an effect on the .xxx domain count as the defensive registrations apparently form a major part of .xxx registration volume. Imagine if a court ruled that defensive registrations should be free. :)

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's the theory, consumers would become more tolerant of alternate TLDs when they see one, but that doesn't mean they would want one for their business :)
The other theory is that when consumers are presented with a pile of alternatives, they will opt for certainty. That's why people buy the same brand each time. The .com TLD has a massive brand loyalty and recognition.

Judging by the Overstock fiasco, it's going to take many years for that to happen.
The costs of switching might be too high and decades of conditioning can't be undone with a simple advertising campaign, especially when people think that .co is just a typo of .com. :)

Even unsophisticated Internet users must have seen .info .biz a couple times while surfing the Internet, but it just didn't leave them with a lasting impression. The problem is lack of mindshare.
The simplest way to see which are the most important TLDs in a country is to look at TV/print advertising.

So it is not enough for extensions to exist and be visible, there has to be critical mass - failing that, they don't get noticed.
The key is development. Good luck achieving that goal in a defensive TLD.
I've spent the last few months working on search engines for the Irish and UK markets. The biggest problem has been dealing with clone sites. That's where one site has multiple domains across a number of TLDs and the clones are not properly redirected via a 301/302 HTTP redirect to the main site. Development in the non-core TLDs, (the TLDs not on the .com/ccTLD axis), tends to be far lower and the number of unique websites in these TLDs is even lower still. When COinternet started claiming high percentages of development in .co, I used the same classification algorithms on detected .co domains. The results showed that COinternet's claims, or more precisely the claims of the consultancy that had put together the usage figures, were wrong. Development (beyond simple mini sites on Wordpress/Joomla templates) takes time, money and advertising. If a company needs to launch a new site, then they will do it in a TLD that is widely used and widely developed in their target market.

In non-US markets, Europe in particular, the ccTLDs tend do dominate. .com is still the extension of choice for global companies, startups etc.
As JMCC would put it there is a strong .com/ccTLD axis.
Yep. :) Upwards of 80% of an EU country's domain footprint can be taken up by the .com/ccTLD axis. And there is an Adjacent Markets effect where the ccTLD from an adjacent country (France/Belgium, Germany,Switzerland/Austria etc) has a larger impact in domain/development terms than some of the non-core gTLDs.

The difference in these markets is that consumers are less obsessed with .com and more (cc)TLD-aware than their US counterparts. From my observation there is no interest over there in all these little things coming out from the bowels of Icann. They are just not relevant at all.
The US market has its own peculiarities of course.
ICANN is still seen as very much a US entity and the average user probably hasn't even heard of it. The new gTLD announcements made the news but people then went back to using the same websites. The problem is that many domainers might be focusing on the secondary market in these new gTLDs when there isn't even a primary market (or indeed an active gTLD) yet. If anything, the .us ccTLD may actually benefit from this new gTLD confusion but .xxx may have problems maintaining its profile.

Regards...jmcc

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ulysses your domains are developed, so they get traffic. Go figure :)
But the same could have been achieved with any extension.

While we look at .xxx from a resale perspective, some look at it from a development/parking perspective..

When a domainer registers 50, 100. 500 or 1000 domains in a new extension, he's investing in a TLD with the hope of reselling them for a profit, not development, And I have no doubt you can profit from .xxx in the short term, and no doubt mobier's profited from Mobi after it rolled out, but the market for these sales is primarily resellers, which the less skilled resellers who got in late to the game are usually the ones who get screwed when the bottom falls out.

So the question is which goes to the heart of this thread; What is the long term value of .xxx? When someone says we should "wait and see" 10 years down the road, didn't we do that with .name which rolled out in Jan 2002?, and .museum in 2001?, and .Aero in 2002? and YES I 'm going to say it, .info in 2001?, despite 5 Million + .info registrations, the TLD has almost zero recognition among internet users, what it does have is the least expensive renewal fee which in effect is a feeding ground for spammers, phishing and plaguing the internet with malware, this according to a 2007 McAfee report.

If .xxx investors want to wait 10 years and dump $1000 per domain, let them knock themselves out, I on the other hand would rather invest that money on something that's proven as opposed to something that's not.

Last edited:

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am surprised as to what you are saying...
Are you really a domainer? Sorry but also every thing you write as fact is WRONG.

How can you compare .name with .xxx?
"Originally registrations had to be at third level, in form john.smith.name, but later direct second-level registrations were allowed"
.name was destroyed before it began with the third level registrations.

How can you compare .museum with .xxx?
.museum is a restricted TLD: Museum Domain Management Association is accepting only museums as registrants.

How can you compare .museum with .xxx?
Again a rectricted TLD: Dot Aero Council was formed to take input from Airlines, airports, and other parts of the air-travel industry...

I don't care what you say about .info because I sell tens of .info every year to end users.
But .info does NOT have the least expensive renewal fee. Where did you get that? Give me a link.
2007 McAfee report??? Really? You are quoting a 5 year old report?
And you are withholding the fact that afilias was offering free .info registrations a couple of years before this report?

Go ahead and compare resale value or .xxx with the resale value of oranges. Nobody cares.

So the question is which goes to the heart of this thread; What is the long term value of .xxx? When someone says we should "wait and see" 10 years down the road, didn't we do that with .name which rolled out in Jan 2002?, and .museum in 2001?, and .Aero in 2002? and YES I 'm going to say it, .info in 2001?, despite 5 Million + .info registrations, the TLD has almost zero recognition among internet users, what it does have is the least expensive renewal fee which in effect is a feeding ground for spammers, phishing and plaguing the internet with malware, this according to a 2007 McAfee report.

If .xxx investors want to wait 10 years and dump $1000 per domain, let them knock themselves out, I on the other hand would rather invest that money on something that's proven as opposed to something that's not.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Industry-specific TLDs (.coop .museum .aero .travel .jobs) have all been failures.
They have failed to gain any traction from the industries they claim to serve.

ICM does not represent the adult industry.

The only difference with .xxx is more registrations, the majority of which are dead anyway.
Proof that there is little interest from the intended users.
If the adult community does not support .xxx nobody else will.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
How can you compare .name with .xxx?

You don't comprehend very well do you? read what I wrote again but very slowly this time.

It was you who compared these TLD's when you wrote we should give TLD's 5-10 years, you didn't say anything about whether or not it had to be open, And .name was open and your suggesting the only reason it failed was because it was released at third level? LMAO! You seem to have an excuse for every TLD that's failed in the last 5-10 years, I'm actually waiting for the next round of excuses why .Mobi failed, or is that one still alive in your book?

I don't care what you say about .info because I sell tens of .info every year to end users.

If you don't care then why reply with over 5 paragraphs?.

As for selling ten's of .info's every year, Good for you!.. That's almost like saying to a car salesman you sold 10 skateboards.

But .info does NOT have the least expensive renewal fee. Where did you get that?

Last I checked at Enom it was the least expensive, and after checking Godaddy you can register a .info for FREE, (.com purchase required).. Maybe they should do that with .XXX, Lower the price to .info levels and it will succeed in 10 years just like .info did, and you can sell tens of those every year too. :)

All sarcasm aside, I think .XXX in the short time it's been out has MORE recognition in the internet community in 9 months than .INFO has in 10 years.

Last edited:

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who the f cares about TLD's that are not open?
How the do these TLD's come into a comparison for an open TLD? Only in your mind.

I didn't reply 5 paragraphs about .info. Are you ok?

I ma not writing excuses. I am writing facts. You don't know what you write.

Right. I am saying to a car salesman that I sold 10 skateboards for the price of 10 cars.

You said that .info has the lowest renewal rate. You insist when even you (I hope) know this is not true. You provide no proof.
You try to compare a registrar promotion with a registry's price.
You are not ok.
I will stop talking to you as many before me have done. Added to ignore list. Bye.

You don't comprehend very well do you? read what I wrote again but very slowly this time.

It was you who compared these TLD's when you wrote we should give TLD's 5-10 years, you didn't say anything about whether or not it had to be open, And .name was open and your suggesting the only reason it failed was because it was released at third level? LMAO! You seem to have an excuse for every TLD that's failed in the last 5-10 years, I'm actually waiting for the next round of excuses why .Mobi failed, or is that one still alive in your book?

If you don't care then why reply with over 5 paragraphs?.

As for selling ten's of .info's every year, Good for you!.. That's almost like saying to a car salesman you sold 10 skateboards.

Last I checked at Enom it was the least expensive, and after checking Godaddy you can register a .info for FREE, (.com purchase required).. Maybe they should do that with .XXX, Lower the price to .info levels and it will succeed in 10 years just like .info did, and you can sell tens of those every year too. :)

All sarcasm aside, I think .XXX in the short time it's been out has MORE recognition in the internet community in 9 months than .INFO has in 10 years.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who the f cares about TLD's that are not open?

I didn't reply 5 paragraphs about .info. Are you ok?

I ma not writing excuses. I am writing facts. You don't know what you write.

Right. I am saying to a car salesman that I sold 10 skateboards for the price of 10 cars.

Bye.
Welcome to DNF, deja vu.

Plus, this deserves a "double bye", as in:

Bye Bye.

Or even a drawn out southern twist to it (we seem to make one syllable words into two) as in:

bub-buy

or baa - bye

or baa by, y'all.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I will stop talking to you as many before me have done. Added to ignore list. Bye.

Good :)... Intentionally distorting what members write as you've clearly done in this thread, only drags it down and makes it impossible to have a meaningful debate.

You said that .info has the lowest renewal rate. You insist when even you (I hope) know this is not true. You provide no proof.

Where is your proof to the contrary?. It really doesn't matter anyway, it was the lowest at the time when spammers and phishers got hold of it according to that report, And rather than increasing the price, we have Godaddy giving .Info's away for FREE!.... Nice. :rolleyes:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.info maybe has one of the lowest registration prices but not renewal prices.. never have seen low .info renewal prices

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ooooo ha ha ha ha...this thread is FULL of very revealing and funny .info.

Just hilarious how this threads .info gets so twisted and turned.

Interpretation:

Imma goin tell you how it is.
Who'd u think u is?
Nobody axed you!
Imma ssssssoooooooooooo over you.
Good cause i done dissed you.
thatza fine, biatch.
Gud. Time fo yo sorry az to move on.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.info maybe has one of the lowest registration prices but not renewal prices.. never have seen low .info renewal prices

I'll have to find the article I was reading that indicated that it was the lowest at that time, Prices change all the time. I think I own 2 .info's and remember when they were renewed it was less than .com.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice dnf feature:
Raider
Reagan Conservative
This message is hidden because Raider is on your ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom